    TIA,

    --
    Leigh Kendall, MCSD, MCDBA
    Leigh Kendall, Oct 2, 2003

  2. Leigh Kendall

    Eric Engler Guest

    Exam Cram is too easy. The real tests are more challenging.
    Eric Engler, Oct 3, 2003

  3. The exam cram books just cover the objectives but they are very well
    written.
    The Wrox books are very very good for details on all facets of the books
    topic.
    I always read the MS Training Kit books in addition to other books in
    preparing for an exam.
    Tim's notes give pointers to in depth material on the exam objectives as
    well.
    Glenn
    MCSE MCDBA MCSD.NET

    "Leigh Kendall" <> wrote in message
    > What are the groups general opinions on the worth of the Exam Cram series
    > from the standpoint of them being used strictly as review before an exam
    > along with the test objectives outline? Especially when compared to the MS
    > Press kits?
    >
    > I've never used them [Exam Cram] before. I read Wrox, MS Press and other
    > quality third party books, and then review with the MS Press Training

    Kits,
    > but lately, (I'm now upgrading to MSCD for .NET) I'm really wondering what
    > the heck I'm even using the kits for. They really don't seem to contain

    any
    > sufficient level of detail. They cover the objectives, but that's about

    it.

    > Are others successfully using the Exam Crams as a good review tool and

    have
    > you been happy with them? I've passed the 70-300 and 70-305 exams thus far
    > and read both MS Press kit titles for review, but really didn't get much

    if

    Glenn D. Crosse, Oct 3, 2003
  4. After reading good third party books like Wrox, Apress, MS Press (advanced
    level), O'Reilly etc, I don't find that the MS Training Kits add much value
    outside of being exam outline. And even then, there is material in there
    that's not always covered on the exam and if it is, all the details aren't
    always covered.

    The exam crams seem to be much more focused (have only skimmed them). I'm
    thinking of using them for review of the objectives before the exams (after
    reading Wrox etc...), not learning the subject.

    Have they worked well for you in that capacity?

    Thanks...

    Leigh

    Leigh Kendall, Oct 3, 2003
  5. The Exam Cram books are very good prep.
    Exam Cram worked well for me on the MCSE. I also like the Osborne series
    and used them for several MCSD exams.
    There were no Exam Cram books published when I did the MCSD but I probably
    would have bought them if there were.
    I did read the Exam Cram for the 70-300 and it was a well written book.
    I read a MS Training kit book for every test I have taken and felt they were
    ok but very difficult to read (very boring).
    Tim's notes are great for the 70-315 and 70-316 tests. The notes were
    sketchy for the 70-300 but very much worthwhile reading as it gets you into
    the depths of some deep topics that are brushed upon on the 70-300. The
    extra depth is valuable as surface knowledge will be useless later on. I
    think one really needs to be very proficient in modeling to be a software
    architect. 70-300 is not deep enough on the modeling aspect.
    Glenn

    Glenn D. Crosse, Oct 3, 2003
  6. Thanks for the response... When you refer to "Tim", are you referring to
    the codeclinic site?

    Leigh Kendall, Oct 4, 2003
  7. Yes.
    I consider the codeclinic very valuable. MSDN is the best source of info
    and codeclinic gives you the pointers to the info for the test topics.
    Glenn

    Glenn D. Crosse, Oct 4, 2003