Exam 70-648

Discussion in 'MCITP' started by MichaelMCSA, May 19, 2008.

  1. MichaelMCSA

    MichaelMCSA Guest

    Hello All,

    Im currently an MCSA on Server 2003 and decided to not finish my MCSE on
    2003. I feel that it is in my best interest to move forward with 2008
    Certifications.
    On this note, can someone help me identify books that will serve as good
    study material for the following exams:
    Exam 70-648
    Exam 70-620
    Exam 70-643
    Exam 70-647

    What books really worked for setting up labs in order to understand new
    concepts?
    Is exam 70-648 two exams or one exam-and how many questions are on this exam?

    Would anyone object with an opinion why I should complete my MCSE as
    opposed to MCITP Enterprise Administrator?

    I really appreciate any feedback.
    Thanks and Cheers to new certifications.

    MichaelMCSA, May 19, 2008

  2. MichaelMCSA

    Garth Guest

    My question to you is how many more exams do you have to complete your MCSE?
    if you are close (like me) then complete you MCSE it will help you with your
    Win2k8 exams, plus you could then write the 70-649 exam.

    70-648 is only one exam. I don't know how many questions there are on this
    exam.

    Don't forget to write 70-646 too.

    Look for a local user group / study group in your area to help you with your
    exams.

    Garth, May 19, 2008

  3. MichaelMCSA

    John R Guest

    > Hello All,
    >
    > Im currently an MCSA on Server 2003 and decided to not finish my MCSE on
    > 2003. I feel that it is in my best interest to move forward with 2008
    > Certifications.
    > On this note, can someone help me identify books that will serve as good
    > study material for the following exams:
    > Exam 70-648
    > Exam 70-620
    > Exam 70-643
    > Exam 70-647
    >
    > What books really worked for setting up labs in order to understand new
    > concepts?
    > Is exam 70-648 two exams or one exam-and how many questions are on this
    > exam?
    >
    > Would anyone object with an opinion why I should complete my MCSE as
    > opposed to MCITP Enterprise Administrator?

    I don't think it's a question of if anyone objects or not. It's your call.
    I certainly see value in 2003 certs now and well into the future. It was
    only a few years ago that my company changed over from a NT domain to 2003.
    Since we are a big hosting site, it is almost impossible to make major
    structural changes like that so I see us on 2003 for a long time to come.
    My company will value 2003 certified individuals for however long that
    period is. Certainly there are those bleeding edge companies that probably
    have already converted to 2008 and Vista. They could probably care less
    about my MCSE 2003, they want MCITP - Enterprise Administrators. It is all
    about what you want and who you want to market yourself towards.

    Experience counts as well. If you have 2003 experience but are just
    learning 2008 (like a lot of people like me), then 2003 will be an easier
    hill to climb.

    And, personally, I think it shows growth when you can present yourself to a
    company as 'Certified on 2000', 'Certified on 2003', 'Certified on 2008'.

    Good luck to you in whatever path you choose.

    John R

    John R, May 19, 2008
  4. MichaelMCSA

    KMcFerrin Guest

    If you're within 2-3 exams of your MCSE AND you think that you could complete
    them within a couple of months, I'd say finish the MCSE first.

    While the 2008 certifications will be in demand, there is still a lot of
    demand for people with the 2003 skills. Even in enterprises that are
    beginning to look at Windows 2008, they will most likely continue to run a
    significant part of their infrastructure on Windows 2003 for the next 2-3
    years. Having those 2003 certs can come in handy.

    Also, being familiar with Windows 2003 will make it easier for you to learn
    Windows 2008, as in many ways they are similar. I think that 2008 is a
    little easier to learn by seeing how it compares to/is different from 2003.
    You also can take the 70-649 upgrade exam and get 3 MCTS certs instead of
    just two if you have an MCSE.

    Finally, the other reason why I'd recommend waiting a bit on the Windows
    2008 certifications is that there is very little in the way of study material
    out there yet. I've spoken to some training vendors, and most of them won't
    have material available until later this summer. Right now I'm trying to get
    material for 70-647 and there's only one book that has been published on that
    exam, and it's out of stock everywhere. More training material is coming,
    but it doesn't look like it will be here for another month or two, so trying
    to actually learn the 2008 material before then could be very frustrating for
    you (it has been for me!).

    KMcFerrin, May 21, 2008
  5. MichaelMCSA

    MichaelMCSA Guest

    I have three more exams to complete towards MCSE. I failed exam 70-294 twice
    now poor study technique took the exam twice and got a 578. I figurded that
    it could take me a long time to get 2008 certs because im slow. I could see
    myself studing for another year or so trying to finish up 2003 exams and
    falling behind on 2008 exams. im feeling tired of certs at this point.

    MichaelMCSA, May 22, 2008
  6. MichaelMCSA

    Tom R. Berg Guest

    "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> skrev i nyhetsmeldingen:
    <>
    > period is. Certainly there are those bleeding edge companies that
    > probably have already converted to 2008 and Vista. They could probably
    > care less about my MCSE 2003, they want MCITP - Enterprise Administrators.
    > It is all about what you want and who you want to market yourself towards.

    We're a CPLS and "bleeding edge"-ily going over to Win2008 for the benefits
    (WDS, multicast, readonly DC, VLAN etc) at some of our offices, but we'll
    also have 2003-servers for a long while yet and retired a 2000 DC not too
    long ago. 2003 Certs and MCSE will definitely be valuable, even in a 2008
    shop. After all, many of the important principles from 2003 mostly stand in
    2008 world even as 2008 adds more.

    > Experience counts as well. If you have 2003 experience but are just
    > learning 2008 (like a lot of people like me), then 2003 will be an easier
    > hill to climb.

    Well, if you have zero experience with 2003, then 2008 might be equally
    steep/slope. I do find that the more you know about "older systems" the
    better you stand. Indeed, there are going to be many references to old
    systems and ways of doing things moving forward. I am MCT and I have had
    admins coming from say UNIX to Windows Server 2003 asking about NT issues
    they have read about in an article on Win2003 issues, as well as Samba (the
    *NIX solution to connect to Windows Servers) using NT terms and concepts.
    It just helps to have that background to pull on as well.

    > And, personally, I think it shows growth when you can present yourself to
    > a company as 'Certified on 2000', 'Certified on 2003', 'Certified on
    > 2008'.

    Agree :)

    Tom R.

    Tom R. Berg, Jul 8, 2008