    conjuction with MSDN will not be sufficient? Please
    advise.
    Thanks in advance.

    zzz, Oct 30, 2004

  2. zzz

    Neel Guest

    i replied 2 ur post in MCAD thread...

    In summary, DO NOT BUY MSPRESS BOOKS!!!!

    Neel, Oct 30, 2004

  3. zzz

    Tom Dacon Guest

    I passed the 70-316 test some time ago with a high score. I used only the
    MSPress book and the Que ExamCram book.

    I'd read from this newsgroup that the MSPress book was nowhere near enough
    to prepare you for the exam, but after I'd taken the test I had the funny
    suspicion that the MSPress book alone might have been enough to help me pass
    the test, supplemented by my own previous experience and considerable
    exposure to .Net. Certainly I wouldn't have passed it with the score I
    actually got, but I'll bet that I would have been above 700, the minimum
    passing score.

    I already had quite a bit of experience with .Net, having started with it in
    August of 2000, immediately after the NDA was lifted at the Microsoft PDC
    conference that summer. It also helped that I had been developing Windows
    client applications with VB6 for quite some time, so I was already quite
    fluent with Windows app development. The MSPress book filled in a lot of
    areas of .Net that I'd never had the opportunity to study, and the ExamCram
    book did the same, and also covered some areas that the MSPress book did
    not. There were only two questions on the test that were not covered by what
    I studied, and I just didn't guess right on them. It's true that MSDN
    actually contains everything you could possibly need to know, but it's not
    organized as a structured teaching environment like a good study guide would
    be, so if you use it as your primary source of study material you'd need to
    develop your own curriculum, something that an educator might be good at but
    a software developer probably wouldn't. For me, structured study works best;
    that may not be true of others.

    If you're just now coming to .Net, the MSPress book almost certainly
    wouldn't do it alone, although it's good as far as it goes. Kalani's books
    are highly regarded, and are recommended pretty consistently on this NG for
    people following the C# track. I'd follow the MSPress book, all the way
    through, and then start over with the Kalani book and follow it all the way
    through as well. Take the Transcender practice tests to measure your
    readiness, and when you're passing them with good scores, you're ready to
    go.

    Good luck,
    Tom Dacon
    Dacon Software Consulting

    Tom Dacon, Oct 30, 2004
  4. zzz

    Guest Guest

    Exactly, u've used the BEST OF THE BEST - QUE BOOKS =:)

    >I'd read from this newsgroup that the MSPress book was

    nowhere near enough to prepare you for the exam,

    thtz rite!! indeed it's NOWHERE close 2 prepare u 2 the
    exam...

    >but after I'd taken the test I had the funny
    >suspicion that the MSPress book alone might have been

    enough to help me pass the test,

    INDEED thtz a funny joke!! hehehehehehehehehe, good one.

    >supplemented by my own previous experience and
    >considerable >exposure to .Net. Certainly I wouldn't have

    passed it with the score I actually got,

    u'r missin the point my buddy!! u've used QUE'S BOOK...

    >but I'll bet that I would have been above 700, the
    >minimum passing score. I already had quite a bit of
    >experience with .Net, having started with it in
    >August of 2000, immediately after the NDA was lifted at
    >the Microsoft PDC conference that summer. It also helped
    >that I had been developing Windows client applications
    >with VB6 for quite some time, so I was already quite
    >fluent with Windows app development.

    >The MSPress book filled in a lot of areas of .Net that
    >I'd never had the opportunity to study, and the ExamCram
    >book did the same, and also covered some areas that the
    >MSPress book did not.

    Okay, lets say u wanan learn english n wanna pass a highly
    skilled language exam, then MSPRESS books will teach u
    alphabets n basic words but WILL NEVER get u there!!!!
    While Que book assume tht u know alphabets n get u where u
    wanna be...

    >If you're just now coming to .Net, the MSPress book
    >almost certainly wouldn't do it alone, although it's good
    >as far as it goes. Kalani's books are highly regarded,
    >and are recommended pretty consistently on this NG for
    >people following the C# track. I'd follow the MSPress
    >book, all the way through, and then start over with the
    >Kalani book and follow it all the way through as well.

    OR INSTEAD, a better approach, just follow the kalani's
    book all the way n GET RID OF ANNOYING N STUPID
    MICROSOFT'S CRAP!!!!

    Good Luck!!

    Guest, Oct 30, 2004
  5. zzz

    Alistair Guest

    <snip>Okay, lets say u wanan learn english n wanna pass a
    highly
    skilled language exam, then MSPRESS books will teach u
    alphabets n basic words but WILL NEVER get u there!!!!
    While Que book assume tht u know alphabets n get u where u
    wanna be...</snip>

    Are you trying to be ironic talking about learning English
    and passing a language exam without using actual words and
    sentences to do so?

    Alistair, Oct 31, 2004
  6. zzz

    Tod1d Guest

    Hi,

    I would highly recommend the Exam Cram series of exam prep books. I
    recently passed the 70-316 using a combination of both the Exam Cram
    book and the corresponding TranscenderCert. I just posted an article
    on my blog related to my MCSD study method :
    http://tod1d.blogspot.com/2004/10/mcsd-certification-path.html

    Let me know if you have any questions.

    Tod Birdsall
    http://tod1d.blogspot.com