    be lost the whole time.

    Thanks.

    Jack
    needhamleonards, Jan 13, 2006

  2. needhamleonards

    Nick Wegner Guest

    Hello,

    I passed 70-306 a few years back. I did not take any classes before passing
    the exam. What I did was start developing Windows Apps in my free time to
    get experience. That is how I learned VB. Once I was comfortable with the
    syntax, I started studying for 70-306 using the Microsoft Press book. I went
    through the examples and looked up a bunch of stuff using MSDN. I then took
    the test and passed it. The classes are not required.

    If you have no experience, the 5 day class will not prepare you for a job.
    You may pass the test, but you would not be able to hold a job as a vb
    programmer. If that is your goal, get experience programming. That is the
    best thing for you at this point.

    Nick Wegner, Jan 16, 2006

  3. needhamleonards

    Vipul Patel Guest

    I agree with Nick.

    A certification does not guarantee a job. But it does help to do your job in
    a better way.

    Regards
    Vipul C# MVP

    Vipul Patel, Jan 16, 2006
  4. needhamleonards

    Sean Guest

    Unless the company you are working for are going to pay for it I would do
    classes.
    So many books in this industry it can be self taught.

    Sean, Jan 17, 2006
  5. needhamleonards

    Lydon Bergin Guest

    I think everyone is dead-on here. For what you're going to pay for that
    class (assuming that your employer will not be paying for it) you could buy
    a couple of books, study for a while, and have the money left over to take
    the test several times.

    I agree with Nick, the best thing to do is to start using VB. I actually
    learned VB originally by writing VBA applications in Access. I would advise
    you to think of a program (preferably database-driven) that you would like
    to write and do it. Start with something simple like, for example, my first
    program checked the timestamp on several files and checked a checkbox if it
    was newer than 2 days old. As you create more and more programs, you will
    get better and better.

    I passed 306 a couple of weeks ago and the only actual study guide that I
    used was the MSPress Self-Paced Training Kit.

    Lydon D. Bergin
    MCP, MOS

    Lydon Bergin, Jan 17, 2006
  6. needhamleonards

    Nick Wegner Guest

    Just to clarify, I had no previous experience with vb before learning vb.net.
    If you really want to be a programmer, you can do it. Just disipline
    yourself to study and practice everyday. If I can do it, anyone can!

    Code, code, code.... and ask a lot of questions. That's the key!

    Good Luck!

    Nick Wegner
    MCP

    Nick Wegner, Jan 18, 2006