Exam 70-270

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?Utf-8?B?S3RyZW5h?=, Sep 15, 2005.

  1. Any suggestions for self study for a new techie? All suggestions are
    appreciated.

    =?Utf-8?B?S3RyZW5h?=, Sep 15, 2005

  2. Sybex text wasn't bad. Make sure you have XPerience with XP.

    Bill McPherson, Sep 15, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?S3RyZW5h?=

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, =?Utf-8?B?S3RyZW5h?= spewed across the
    ether:

    > Any suggestions for self study for a new techie? All suggestions are
    > appreciated.

    Start with CompTIA A+. I kinda liked Mike Meyers:

    www.totalsem.com/index.php

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110

    JaR, Sep 15, 2005
  4. Ktrena:

    A new tech I sometimes recommend the A+. It is a great base. From there
    the MCDST or the XP exam is a good start if someone is interested in the
    infrastructure side of the Microsoft world.

    www.microsoft.com/elearning has a free MCDST course available.
    I would suggest starting with the MCDST course, even if you do not take the
    test. A lot of the materials overlap with the 270.

    Working with the software is always a great start and there are quite a few
    good books and CBTs out there.

    --
    Bob Christian II
    http://bobchristian.blogspot.com - Blog

    Bob Christian, Sep 15, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?S3RyZW5h?=

    m0rk Guest

    mike is geekchic

    m0rk, Sep 16, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?S3RyZW5h?=

    catwalker63 Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?S3RyZW5h?= <> prattled
    ceaslessly in news::

    > Any suggestions for self study for a new techie? All suggestions are
    > appreciated.

    If you like to read books that are written with a sense of humor, try
    Sybex, Mastering Windows XP Pro or even Mastering Windows Server 2003 by
    Mark Minasi. Lots of real world information and a realistic view of
    Microsoft and Windows. Get some machines for home practice, a copy of
    XP, maybe a virtual machine program like VMWare or VirtualPC, and try
    stuff out in a test environment. MS Press books are good and the study
    guides often have evaluation versions of software. They are a little
    drier than Minasi but they have very good information. The resource kits
    for Windows 2000 and XP are available online at the MS site and are great
    resources. Get to know the Knowledge Base and Technet.

    Just keep practicing and don't get cocky. This is a field you have to
    keep working at forever or you'll get left behind.

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    catwalker63, Sep 18, 2005
  7. Thank you Bob I am also studying the A+ book by Sybex. I find that the book
    is very lenghty, any suggestions for a person who basically learns superfast
    as long as I am getting what I need that first time around instead of having
    to read all of the book and then cipher through it to figure out what I need
    to know?

    =?Utf-8?B?S3RyZW5h?=, Sep 19, 2005
  8. Thank you for your comment and I can believe that you have to keep working at
    it or you'll be left behind...that's fine because I am definetly fast enought
    to catch up.

    =?Utf-8?B?S3RyZW5h?=, Sep 19, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?S3RyZW5h?=

    MattG Guest

    Although I didn't use it for 70-270, I found CBT Nuggets really good for
    70-290, especially if you're not starting from scratch and already have a
    reasonable amount of knowledge.
    Of the practice exams I have seen and used, the 'Measure-up' ones are far
    superior to others...

    I would recommend you start by taking a practice exam (eg 'Measure-up',
    although most books will have a CD with practice exams) and then reading up
    on the areas identified as a weakness...

    --

    MattG
    MCP (Windows XP)

    MattG, Sep 19, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?S3RyZW5h?=

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, =?Utf-8?B?S3RyZW5h?= spewed across
    the ether:

    > as long as I am getting what I need that first time around instead of
    > having to read all of the book and then cipher through it to figure
    > out what I need to know?

    ???

    You "need to know" all of it. And more. There's no shortcuts.

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110

    JaR, Sep 26, 2005