    I am starting a course in about 2 weeks, and would like to pre-prepare.

    Thanks,
    Dean Basse

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhbiBCYXNzZQ==?=, Mar 30, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RGVhbiBCYXNzZQ==?=

    Martin Mewes Guest

    Hi Dean,

    Dean Basse <> wrote:

    >Does anyone know if this exam has been updated for SP2 or not?

    The answer is easy: No.
    The MOC for preparing for 070-270 is still covering the bleeding edge ;-)of
    Windows XP SP1a. I do not think I am tempting the NDA too much to say that
    the same applies to the exam itself.

    bis dahin / kind regards

    Martin Mewes
    Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer 2003
    Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator: Messaging 2003

    --
    mamemu - edv-dienstleistungen
    Brockmannsweg 1 - 20146 Hamburg

    Martin Mewes, Mar 31, 2006

  3. Thanks!

    I was just wondering because the MS Press Self-Paced Training book has been
    updated.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhbiBCYXNzZQ==?=, Mar 31, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RGVhbiBCYXNzZQ==?=

    Lasher Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhbiBCYXNzZQ==?= <> wrote
    in news::

    > Thanks!
    >
    > I was just wondering because the MS Press Self-Paced Training book has
    > been updated.
    >
    > "Martin Mewes" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Dean,
    >>
    >> Dean Basse <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Does anyone know if this exam has been updated for SP2 or not?

    >> The answer is easy: No.
    >> The MOC for preparing for 070-270 is still covering the bleeding edge
    >> ;-) of Windows XP SP1a. I do not think I am tempting the NDA too much
    >> to say that the same applies to the exam itself.
    >>

    >> bis dahin / kind regards
    >>
    >> Martin Mewes
    >> Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer 2003
    >> Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator: Messaging 2003
    >>
    >> --
    >> mamemu - edv-dienstleistungen
    >> Brockmannsweg 1 - 20146 Hamburg
    >> Tel.: 040-44405872 / Fax.: 040-44405873
    >> http://www.koepfe.de/me.asp?ID=MNMS235896

    I would get the book then and learn it as if you were learning SP2.

    --
    Lasher
    MCNGP 110010

    Lasher, Mar 31, 2006
  5. Well, ya know Lasher,

    Given the number of changes and improvements made in SP2, and the fact that
    more than a few of the options DO NOT EVEN RESEMBLE each other in the
    different releases, I was hoping someone, at Microsoft or otherwise, would
    know whether I am supposed to know things like Internet Connection Firewall
    or Windows Firewall.

    What I was not expecting was a smart#$% answer to my question. If I read
    the book, of course I would be "LEARNING SP2". The is no "as if".

    If you do not know the answer to a question I post, don't bother to answer
    at all. Your smug, self-elevating humor is neither appreciated nor desired.
    Go "lash" someone else.

    That aside, if anyone out there actually KNOWS, please respond. It would be
    greatly appreciated.

    My sincere thanks to Martin Mewes for sharing what he does know.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhbiBCYXNzZQ==?=, Apr 1, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?RGVhbiBCYXNzZQ==?=

    Martin Mewes Guest

    Hi Dean,

    Dean Basse <> wrote:

    >Does anyone know if this exam has been updated for SP2 or not?

    I have to revise my answer :-|

    Here in germany there is a new course book named MOC M2224B which includes
    SP2 for Windows XP. But in the actual exam I took there was no SP2.

    Based on postings I saw in a MCSE forum some exam takers are saying, that
    the english 070-270 as well as 070-271 are updated to SP2.

    bis dahin / kind regards

    Martin Mewes
    Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer: Messaging 2003

    Martin Mewes, Apr 1, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?RGVhbiBCYXNzZQ==?=

    LRM Guest

    All gawked in amazement when: Dean Basse assaulted us with:
    > Well, ya know Lasher,
    >
    > Given the number of changes and improvements made in SP2, and the
    > fact that more than a few of the options DO NOT EVEN RESEMBLE each
    > other in the different releases, I was hoping someone, at Microsoft
    > or otherwise, would know whether I am supposed to know things like
    > Internet Connection Firewall or Windows Firewall.
    >
    > What I was not expecting was a smart#$% answer to my question. If I
    > read the book, of course I would be "LEARNING SP2". The is no "as
    > if".
    >
    > If you do not know the answer to a question I post, don't bother to
    > answer at all. Your smug, self-elevating humor is neither
    > appreciated nor desired. Go "lash" someone else.
    >
    > That aside, if anyone out there actually KNOWS, please respond. It
    > would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > My sincere thanks to Martin Mewes for sharing what he does know.
    >

    > "Lasher" wrote:
    >
    >> =?Utf-8?B?RGVhbiBCYXNzZQ==?= <>
    >> wrote in news::
    >>

    >> I would get the book then and learn it as if you were learning SP2.

    Actually, Lasher's response isn't as glib as you might think. A member of my
    team at work will be attending the same MOC class soon and my primary
    concern for him is that he learn as much as possible, not that he certify.
    Our company is using XP SP2 and while a cert would be useful to my teammate,
    his knowledge of the OS is far more valuable to the company. The goal should
    be to become knowledgeable through experience and training. Certification in
    and of itself shouldn't be the primary goal. Ultimately my teammate's on the
    job performance will be his ticket to promotion and making more money. Good
    luck in your class.

    --
    LRM
    MCNGP 7^2

    LRM, Apr 1, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?RGVhbiBCYXNzZQ==?=

    Harry Guest

    yes 70-270 has been updated for sp2

    give special attention to the enhacements like firewall as 70% of firewall
    related questions in 70-270 are now for sp2

    Harjeet

    Harry, Apr 2, 2006
  9. If I misunderstood the intent, then I certainly apologize. Mood and nuances
    of meaning do not always communicate well in the shorthand form of writing
    used in newsgroups, email, chat, etc.

    For "all" to hear: If I got it wrong Lasher, I am truly sorry.

    I appreciate your points, LRM. What you speak about is ALWAYS my ultimate
    goal with any subject I approach. However, I am going to go through the
    battery of 7 tests in 14 days at this "Boot Camp". I will be in Las Vegas,
    of all places, for 16 straight days and probably not even leave the hotel.
    Talk about injustices! Anyway, I want to make sure I concentrate on the
    correct subject matter while pre-studying, and with XP there is a
    hell-of-a-lot to study.

    After working successfully in the IT field for 24 years (since the IBM PC),
    I know the value of knowledge versus certification. I have seen a lot of
    Certified "whatevers" come and go. That said, however, due to Katrina I am
    currently without work, and every opening starts with "bachelor's degree in
    Information Technology, Microsoft Certification, or proven equivalent".
    Personnel Departments do not care what you know, they only care what the
    paperwork says you know. Passing the exams is crucial to getting a salary
    comparable to what I was earning 7 months ago, not "learning" the subjects
    per se.

    The problem is, I have only worked with XP SP2. If the exam covers that, no
    problem. But, as a review of older study materials showed me, there were a
    LOT of changes in functionality. For a few days, I just want to concentrate
    on the exact material covered. Until I get a confirmation, I will continue
    to study on Server 2003 SP1, since I have no doubt that R2 is NOT covered yet.

    Thanks for taking the time to respond.

    --
    Dean Basse
    Advanced Digital Business Design

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhbiBCYXNzZQ==?=, Apr 3, 2006
  10. Thanks Harry,

    So what you are saying is that the exam covers BOTH SP1 and SP2. Is that
    correct?

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhbiBCYXNzZQ==?=, Apr 3, 2006