    different qualification tracks. Grateful for any help here !
    --
    dg

    David.G, May 24, 2005

  2. David.G

    Pavol Uhrin Guest

    Hello David,

    I took both exams this month, 70.270 for the second time. The real
    difference between these exams is sure. 271 is oriented into the supporting,
    also what should you tell the customer he should do when he has a problem -
    270 is about administering, also you are doing these tasks /Thats about
    postulating the questions/
    270 is the first step into the administering route - you should also
    understand basics about services as DNS, DHCP, Active Directory, WINS ... and
    how they are used in the network enviroment - especially in the WIN
    XP/W2003Server networks including topology, you should understand
    instalations - over network, by applying images, attended, unattended, using
    UDF´s. You should be able to do almost every settings change in the win XP
    and know the efect of that what you do.
    271 is about troubleshooting these issues, you won´t probably get a
    question about gpupdate, secedit command, but you should understand the
    Security and configuration analysis tool, the most tasks are done in the
    user-friendly interface, also you won´t probably say to the customer he
    should run the ipconfig /renew command, but advice him to click on the
    networking icon and then repair button under support tab. But now I don´t
    wan´t to tell you now, that these things are not necessary for the exam, but
    maybe it will show you a way when you will be preparing for some of these two
    exams.
    But i can tell you, when you will study hard for the 270, than pass it,
    it will be easier for you to take 271 exam, you will understand the stuff
    very well but you should then study only the logic of this exam, take some
    preparation exams from measure-up or free assesments on the MS site.
    When I did the 271 after my passed 270, I was very sceptic about my
    answers because I have been searching a hidden trickery that was in some
    questions in 270, but when you think about the question the one answer is
    everytime the right one and you will be able to choose it.
    I hope it was not too long for you, if you have a question, type it here,
    i could probably answer it for you about these two exams.

    --
    Pavol Uhrin
    MCP

    Pavol Uhrin, May 24, 2005

  3. David.G

    David.G Guest

    Pavol
    Many thanks for your useful and helpful reply.
    Having read your message I think you have hit the nail on the head by
    identifying the essential difference as one between adminitration of XP and
    support of XP. This seems to reflect the essential difference between the two
    seperate qualification tracks allocated to each exam ie 270 MCSA and 271
    MCDST.
    Would it be fair to say from this point of view that as MCDST is more an
    entry level qualification than MCSA that 271 is in some respects more
    straightforward than 270 in terms that it deals with support rather than the
    deeper and more complex concents of adminstration/configuration
    --
    dg

    David.G, May 25, 2005
  4. David.G

    Pavol Uhrin Guest

    Further interessts for Helpdesk-Technicians

    Thanks,
    You´re right with the entry-level qualification, but I would say that
    this exam will also give the MCSAs the opportunity to wiev the technical
    questions about resolving user problems in a different light. I also would
    recomend everyone to read at least the prep. guide for the 70.271 or 272, I
    think, it is well written.
    From my experience, the company admins sometimes support user too, but
    they are not using /forgive me for the expression/ "human-language" and users
    sometimes don´t know what the hell the admin want´s from me ...
    That´s only my oppinion, also admins don´t fell touched with this post.
    Next thing I just want to say is, that the supportcan be done for admins
    too, I mean now supporting company admins which use servers from some
    manufacturer which offers helpdesk-service. This also means that for the
    support-technic could also be interessted to obtain a higher qualification -
    MCSA or further...
    What do you mean ?
    --
    Pavol Uhrin
    MCP

    Pavol Uhrin, May 25, 2005
  5. David.G

    Pavol Uhrin Guest

    Further interessts for Helpdesk-Technicians

    Thanks,
    You´re right with the entry-level qualification, but I would say that
    this exam will also give the MCSAs the opportunity to wiev the technical
    questions about resolving user problems in a different light. I also would
    recomend everyone to read at least the prep. guide for the 70.271 or 272, I
    think, it is well written.
    From my experience, the company admins sometimes support user too, but

    Pavol Uhrin, May 25, 2005
  6. David.G

    - Bobb - Guest

    Re: MS online study Guide for Exam 70-270 and 70-271

    Has anyone tried to download this test ?
    I download / installed the player then opened the course content screen and
    select Download:
    It asks / prompts me to save a file - 832 bytes - that's it .

    https://www.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning/offerDetail.aspx?offerId=11583

    I tried it from work today too - same thing - so not my PC.
    Unless I need to download all required sw apps mentioned in help
    If so , the are no pointers to download half of them

    Anyone made this work yet ?

    - Bobb -, Jun 18, 2005
  7. David.G

    EJ Guest

    Re: MS online study Guide for Exam 70-270 and 70-271

    Try this link. FYI.., it took me almost 8 hours to download over dial-up.
    https://www.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning/courseContent.aspx?courseId=26272&offerPriceId=54989

    EJ, Jun 18, 2005
  8. David.G

    - Bobb - Guest

    Re: MS online study Guide for Exam 70-270 and 70-271

    Tried that - failed too - same thing.
    I install ed then eXML parse -same thing.
    I then wen tinto IE and chnaged security settings to prompt (be default some
    are disabled.
    I then got a prompt when I clicked on DOWNLOAD .
    It then did download 60mb (high speed took about 3 minutes)
    Thanks

    - Bobb -, Jun 19, 2005