Exam 70-210 or 70-217/272?

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by MarkinOregon, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. MarkinOregon

    MarkinOregon Guest

    Hey guys and gals :).
    Newbie to the group here.
    I have extension experience here at home on my own
    computers/network, and love to learn everything I can.
    I'm a self learner at my own pace I feel comfortable with.
    I run XP Pro on my main PC, run W2000 Pro on my older PC
    W/ the 180 day eval version of server 2003 to play along
    with the book "Mastering Server 2003 by Sybex.
    I also have the MCSE training kit for W2000 Pro for test
    70-210.
    I'ld like to start getting certification going.

    I was wondering if that test (70-210)is worth taking
    these days or should I just jump to 70-270/271/272.

    I know about the FREE training offer by Microsoft for 70-
    271 & 272, and signed up for that.

    Any advice/insight on which tests are more relevant these
    days to start with would be greatly appreciated :) .

    MarkinOregon, Dec 10, 2004

  2. MarkinOregon

    MarkinOregon Guest

    Oh,,,another question?

    i was reading bad reviews about the Micrsoft Press Traing
    book for 70-270, another better reccomendations out there?

    MarkinOregon, Dec 10, 2004

  3. MarkinOregon

    Doom Guest

    > I was wondering if that test (70-210)is worth taking
    > these days or should I just jump to 70-270/271/272.

    I think you're gonna get differing opinions on this question but here's my 2
    cents: I think W2K Pro will be in many offices for quite awhile. I took the
    210 a couple months back but only because we have W2K where I work. What do
    they have where you work (assuming you work)

    Doom, Dec 10, 2004
  4. MarkinOregon

    Guest

    Stop reading books... it's a complete waste of time. You really just
    need to know/have the basic understanding of the terminology, and to
    user brain dumps (www.testking.com) is a good place to start. They also
    have actual real life exams you can take that are very similar to the
    actual exam. That's how I MCSE in 3 months time.

    As far as your path. Get your 2000 track done first then go for the
    upgrade exams on 2003. 70-210,215,218 are the easiest exams 70-216 and
    217 are the hardest. Get your MCSE in 2000 first the 2 more exams and
    your got your MCSE 2003.

    , Dec 10, 2004
  5. MarkinOregon

    Doom Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Stop reading books... it's a complete waste of time. You really just
    > need to know/have the basic understanding of the terminology, and to
    > user brain dumps (www.testking.com) is a good place to start. They also
    > have actual real life exams you can take that are very similar to the
    > actual exam. That's how I MCSE in 3 months time.
    >
    > As far as your path. Get your 2000 track done first then go for the
    > upgrade exams on 2003. 70-210,215,218 are the easiest exams 70-216 and
    > 217 are the hardest. Get your MCSE in 2000 first the 2 more exams and
    > your got your MCSE 2003.

    OK somebody get the pliers ready. I'm going for it. You must be a genius.
    Admitting to cheating on MS test in a MS newsgroup. Why don't you just send
    you MCp ID to MS and tell them to shred it. I also like the fact that you
    are inviting Swen into your AOL account.

    Doom, Dec 10, 2004
  6. MarkinOregon

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for the info/opinion SKP.
    That makes sense.
    Got more research to do I guess :) .

    Guest, Dec 10, 2004
  7. MarkinOregon

    Guest Guest

    Thanks Doom,

    I agree, most company's don't upgrade to the latest
    greatest releases for quite some time after the release,
    at least in my old company they didn't.

    Currently not working, so figured I'ld use my "spare time"
    To get some certifications towards an MCSA.

    I prefer some kind of "structured" training to get the
    skills down.

    Any suggestions on good training books?

    Guest, Dec 10, 2004
  8. MarkinOregon

    Doom Guest

    > I prefer some kind of "structured" training to get the
    > skills down.
    >
    > Any suggestions on good training books?

    That previous poster is a moron. How can you learn anything without reading
    the books and using the product. He recommends using br@indumps. These will
    teach you nothing. You want to learn to use the product so you can fix what
    breaks don't you? Stay away from dumps and learn not memorize questions. As
    far as books, I've used MS press (not so great) and Sybex. Both books are
    good in some areas and weak in others.

    Doom, Dec 10, 2004
  9. MarkinOregon

    Guest Guest

    Thanks Doom, I've read other postings about
    testking too. Might be good for a practice exam along the
    MSPress practice exams, depending on how comfortable i
    feel.

    I agree, you really need to mess around with the product
    to get a good feel for the inner workings.

    I have the Mastering W server 2003 book from Cybex and
    found it an easy to read/understand book, I'll check into
    others by them :) .

    TY

    Guest, Dec 10, 2004