exam 316 win apps, measure-up test software, confidence flagging.

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Peter Row, Sep 7, 2005.

  1. Peter Row

    Peter Row Guest

    Hi,

    I guess I'm after a bit of moral support here from people who may
    have already taken the 316 Win Apps exam and who used or
    know about the Measure Up test software.

    I've just finished a 3 month stint using the Que Certification series book
    on 316 by Amit Kalami as well as a more general C# language book.

    I got the Measure-Up software and took the test in certification adaptive
    mode (i.e. forward only answering, i.e. you can't go back and change
    your answer to a question. Nor could you get explanations on the questions)
    last night and .... god damn it, FAILED.

    I took the test twice. The first time I am sure the test software messed up
    because on the question review at the end there were at least 10 questions
    where it said I didn't give an answer. Which of course is nonsense as I was
    taking it dead serious, reading the questions throughly, answering and then
    reading the question again to double-check my answer. So no way did I
    miss a question.

    The second time I got asked 23 questions before the test was stopped
    with failed state. I got 14 correct and 9 wrong. From what I've read on this
    group it should come as no suprise to read that all the questions I got
    wrong were of the "select all that apply" variety. Reviewing the questions
    see the correct answers and explanations, I was most gutted by questions
    where it had like 3 answers you were suppose to tick and I only ticked 2
    of them, curse it.

    The thing that's really getting me down about the failed test is that in the
    exam book at the end of each chapter there were 15 exam type questions.
    And throughout the book my usual correct answer rate was
    between 70% to 85% so I can't understand why I'm having so much
    trouble now.

    When I started studying for this exam I had invisioned taking the exam
    at the end of September. However when I finished the exam book the
    other day I was thinking I might take it earlier than that. But now I've
    done the mock test I am really worried. I mean it will be the ultimate
    humilation to take the exam and fail since I am a software developer and
    several people at work know that I am taking the MCSD exams. On
    top of all that I am taking the exams for MCSD certification as part
    of a measurable objective to get a larger than inflation pay rise in my
    next annual review.

    Worrying Regards,
    Peter
    Peter Row, Sep 7, 2005

  2. Peter Row

    Guest

    Peter,

    Don't despair and keep at it. I took and passed 70-316 in July. I too
    am working towards my MCSD and would like to complete it by years end.

    I'm finding the best way to "study" is to write code. I used the MCSD
    self study guides from MS Press and the Transcender practice exams.
    Writing code either your own or the examples in the book helped me a
    lot. may times the examples in the book were pretty boring - I would
    create my own program that exercised the concepts but was interesting
    to me.

    There is also a little test taking strategy you can follow:
    1. Read the 1st part of the question - this will tell you the topic
    area of the question.
    2. Read the last part of the question, this will tell you exactly what
    the question is looking for.
    3. Then read the middle question - may times you can get lost in the
    middle before even understanding what the question is looking for.
    4. After understanding the question, review the answers - looking for
    those answers that either don't make sense or have nothing to do with
    the question. You will be able to eliminate 50% of the answers this
    way and improve your odds at getting the correct answer.

    Best Wishes

    Vic
    Matrix Learning Solutions
    www.matrixlearningsolutions.com
    , Sep 7, 2005

  3. Peter Row

    Bob Guest

    Peter,

    Don't give up hope. The trial exam will let you know the areas where you
    need to concentrate future efforts.
    Don't re-learn stuff you already know. Keep using the practice exams to
    refine your study.
    Once you have memorised the exam - it is time to get a new exam from a
    different vendor.
    Be careful though - if your answer differs from the answer given by the exam
    vendor, make sure you investigate the answer provided - in some cases the
    vendor exam answer is incorrect.

    I have passed 70-316 and 70-315 and I am now preparing for 70-320 - all
    using Kalani's books, the writing style and frequent exercises seem to work
    for me.

    Keep Smiling

    Bob

    Bob, Sep 7, 2005
  4. Peter Row

    Peter Row Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for response, and to Victor as well.

    I guess the main problem is the amount of stuff covered which I've never had
    the need to use before studying with the Kalani books.

    Like you say the books style and frequent exercises are great which is why
    I got such good scores on the end of chapter exam questions.

    The worst questions in the mock tests were things like in VS.NET in the
    debugging section
    of the Tools --> options dialog which of the following settings can be set,
    tick all that apply! What a ridiculous question, there are like 15+
    checkboxes
    in that section of the dialog all of which are the sort that you set once on
    installation of VS or rarely change.

    Oh well my next port of call is to go through the book and summarise it.
    Hopefully the action of physically writing about stuff I've just read will
    help
    me remember things like which particular switch of the caspol.exe utility
    does
    what :cool:

    Bye,
    Peter

    Peter Row, Sep 8, 2005
  5. Peter Row

    Guest

    One thing to also remember is that when you are taking the exam
    questions at the end of the chapters, that topic is fresh on your mind.
    By the time I get to chapter 8 in the Kalani book I know I will forget
    nits from chapter 2.

    Good luck.
    , Sep 8, 2005