    readings in the viewfinder. And quick autofocus of course.

    And if anyone knows of one for the Nikon D70 that would be interesting
    too.
    aaJoe, Apr 28, 2006

  2. aaJoe <> writes:

    > I'm on the hunt for a used Rebel (probably a 300) and was hoping to find
    > a website that lists every older film lens that works 100% with it. Or
    > almost 100% as some features I may not need. Basically all I really
    > need is aperture or shutter priority and to be able to see those 2
    > readings in the viewfinder. And quick autofocus of course.
    >
    > And if anyone knows of one for the Nikon D70 that would be interesting
    > too.

    In both cases, all AF lenses work. (In the Canon case apparently
    there are sometimes problems with third-party lenses, though.) They
    all support all metering modes and display of aperture and
    shutterspeed in the viewfinder.

    The D70 doesn't meter with the pre-AF lens. Canon AF cameras can't
    mount pre-AF lenses at all, except through adapters from various
    manufacturers (but I'm told the adapters work very well).
    RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
    David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 28, 2006

  3. aaJoe <> wrote:
    > I'm on the hunt for a used Rebel (probably a 300) and was hoping to find
    > a website that lists every older film lens that works 100% with it. Or
    > almost 100% as some features I may not need. Basically all I really
    > need is aperture or shutter priority and to be able to see those 2
    > readings in the viewfinder. And quick autofocus of course.
    >
    > And if anyone knows of one for the Nikon D70 that would be interesting
    > too.

    It is easy for Nikon. Any D lens that Nikon makes will work fine with the
    D70. I will qualify that with a possible expection. There may be a very old
    D model wide angle lens where the rear-element sticks out too far and
    restricts the mirror in the D70, but I am not sure what it is (or even if the
    offending lens was a D lens).

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 28, 2006
  4. aaJoe

    aaJoe Guest

    > > I'm on the hunt for a used Rebel (probably a 300) and was hoping to find
    > > a website that lists every older film lens that works 100% with it. Or
    > > almost 100% as some features I may not need. Basically all I really
    > > need is aperture or shutter priority and to be able to see those 2
    > > readings in the viewfinder. And quick autofocus of course.
    > >
    > > And if anyone knows of one for the Nikon D70 that would be interesting
    > > too.

    > In both cases, all AF lenses work. (In the Canon case apparently
    > there are sometimes problems with third-party lenses, though.) They
    > all support all metering modes and display of aperture and
    > shutterspeed in the viewfinder.
    >
    > The D70 doesn't meter with the pre-AF lens. Canon AF cameras can't
    > mount pre-AF lenses at all, except through adapters from various
    > manufacturers (but I'm told the adapters work very well).

    Well that is simple. Great. I didn't want to use non-AF lenses anyway!
    aaJoe, Apr 28, 2006
  5. "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> writes:

    > aaJoe <> wrote:
    > > I'm on the hunt for a used Rebel (probably a 300) and was hoping to find
    > > a website that lists every older film lens that works 100% with it. Or
    > > almost 100% as some features I may not need. Basically all I really
    > > need is aperture or shutter priority and to be able to see those 2
    > > readings in the viewfinder. And quick autofocus of course.
    > >
    > > And if anyone knows of one for the Nikon D70 that would be interesting
    > > too.

    > It is easy for Nikon. Any D lens that Nikon makes will work fine with the
    > D70. I will qualify that with a possible expection. There may be a very old
    > D model wide angle lens where the rear-element sticks out too far and
    > restricts the mirror in the D70, but I am not sure what it is (or even if the
    > offending lens was a D lens).

    I can't find a Nikon AF lens that requires mirror lockup; or anything
    since the 1960s, in fact (the 1962 21mm f/4, for example, did require
    mirror lockup, as did most of the early fisheyes except the 6mm and
    8mm f/2.8). But my not finding it isn't definitive of course.
    RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
    David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 28, 2006
  6. aaJoe

    Keith Baird Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    > In both cases, all AF lenses work. (In the Canon case apparently
    > there are sometimes problems with third-party lenses, though.) They
    > all support all metering modes and display of aperture and
    > shutterspeed in the viewfinder.

    Excluding, for Canon, the four FD mount autofocus lenses which won't fit
    EF mount camera bodies such as the Rebel/300.

    --/<eith
    Keith Baird, Apr 28, 2006
  7. aaJoe

    This old Bob Guest

    EF and EF-S

    Simple, really.
    This old Bob, Apr 28, 2006
  8. aaJoe

    Roy G Guest

    "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message
    > "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> writes:
    >
    >> aaJoe <> wrote:
    >> > I'm on the hunt for a used Rebel (probably a 300) and was hoping to
    >> > find
    >> > a website that lists every older film lens that works 100% with it. Or
    >> > almost 100% as some features I may not need. Basically all I really
    >> > need is aperture or shutter priority and to be able to see those 2
    >> > readings in the viewfinder. And quick autofocus of course.
    >> >
    >> > And if anyone knows of one for the Nikon D70 that would be interesting
    >> > too.

    >> It is easy for Nikon. Any D lens that Nikon makes will work fine with
    >> the
    >> D70. I will qualify that with a possible expection. There may be a very
    >> old
    >> D model wide angle lens where the rear-element sticks out too far and
    >> restricts the mirror in the D70, but I am not sure what it is (or even if
    >> the
    >> offending lens was a D lens).

    > I can't find a Nikon AF lens that requires mirror lockup; or anything
    > since the 1960s, in fact (the 1962 21mm f/4, for example, did require
    > mirror lockup, as did most of the early fisheyes except the 6mm and
    > 8mm f/2.8). But my not finding it isn't definitive of course.
    > --
    > David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
    > RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
    > Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/>
    > <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>
    > Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/>

    Hi.

    The Nikon website has a list, and although the list of what fits is not too
    easy to understand, the exceptions, which should not be fitted, are quite
    clearly shown.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Apr 28, 2006
  9. aaJoe

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > I'm on the hunt for a used Rebel (probably a 300) and was hoping to find
    > a website that lists every older film lens that works 100% with it

    As another person said, any EF or EF-S lens. As to the choice of camera,
    if you watch for rebates and such, you might get a brand-new 350D body for
    not much more than a used 300D body. If you don't mind the smaller size,
    the 350D has a number of very useful improvements.

    steve
    Steve Wolfe, Apr 28, 2006
  10. aaJoe

    aaJoe Guest

    > > I'm on the hunt for a used Rebel (probably a 300) and was hoping to find
    > > a website that lists every older film lens that works 100% with it

    > As another person said, any EF or EF-S lens. As to the choice of camera,
    > if you watch for rebates and such, you might get a brand-new 350D body for
    > not much more than a used 300D body. If you don't mind the smaller size,
    > the 350D has a number of very useful improvements.

    The 300D is going for less than $300 now in some areas. It might be a
    challenge to find a rebated 350D at that price.
    aaJoe, Apr 29, 2006
  11. aaJoe

    aaJoe Guest

    > > In both cases, all AF lenses work. (In the Canon case apparently
    > > there are sometimes problems with third-party lenses, though.) They
    > > all support all metering modes and display of aperture and
    > > shutterspeed in the viewfinder.

    > Excluding, for Canon, the four FD mount autofocus lenses which won't fit
    > EF mount camera bodies such as the Rebel/300.

    Which are they?
    aaJoe, Apr 29, 2006
  12. aaJoe

    aaJoe Guest

    > > > I'm on the hunt for a used Rebel (probably a 300) and was hoping to find
    > > > a website that lists every older film lens that works 100% with it. Or
    > > > almost 100% as some features I may not need. Basically all I really
    > > > need is aperture or shutter priority and to be able to see those 2
    > > > readings in the viewfinder. And quick autofocus of course.
    > > >
    > > > And if anyone knows of one for the Nikon D70 that would be interesting
    > > > too.

    > > In both cases, all AF lenses work. (In the Canon case apparently
    > > there are sometimes problems with third-party lenses, though.) They
    > > all support all metering modes and display of aperture and
    > > shutterspeed in the viewfinder.
    > >
    > > The D70 doesn't meter with the pre-AF lens. Canon AF cameras can't
    > > mount pre-AF lenses at all, except through adapters from various
    > > manufacturers (but I'm told the adapters work very well).

    And if you want to use a manual focus lens? Will it even attach? Do
    you focus without split screen help? Do you have any metering?
    aaJoe, Apr 29, 2006
  13. "aaJoe" <> wrote:

    >> > The D70 doesn't meter with the pre-AF lens. Canon AF cameras can't
    >> > mount pre-AF lenses at all, except through adapters from various
    >> > manufacturers (but I'm told the adapters work very well).

    > And if you want to use a manual focus lens? Will it even attach? Do
    > you focus without split screen help? Do you have any metering?

    Canon pre-EF manual focus lenses don't really work, even with an adaptor,
    since you can't focus them at infinity. There is, however, a teleconverter
    that restores infinity focus. But at the converted longer focal length.

    There is some good news, though. Most other camera lenses (e.g. Nikon and
    Mamiya 645) can be used as manual focus lenses on the Canon dSLRs.

    The bad news is that (a) you have to stop down manually, and (b) the AF
    system won't report whether or not the subject is in focus (which it does
    with Canon mount AF lenses switched to manual focus mode).

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Apr 29, 2006
  14. aaJoe

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    >> As another person said, any EF or EF-S lens. As to the choice of
    >> camera,
    >> if you watch for rebates and such, you might get a brand-new 350D body
    >> for
    >> not much more than a used 300D body. If you don't mind the smaller size,
    >> the 350D has a number of very useful improvements.

    > The 300D is going for less than $300 now in some areas. It might be a
    > challenge to find a rebated 350D at that price.

    Ah. I was just speaking earlier today with a colleague who is going to
    sell his 300D and buy a 350D, he says that in some circles he sees them go
    for as much as $500.

    What's surprising to me is that while a 300D may go for $300 in some
    places, the ancient D30 (not 30D) still sells for about that much as well.
    Ah, well. =)

    steve
    Steve Wolfe, Apr 29, 2006