Exacting Precision From Near or Afar: Nikon's Newest NIKKOR Lenses

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by me, Jan 31, 2013.

  1. me

    me Guest

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/bk7chrd

    Nikon Continues to Expand Upon the NIKKOR Lens Lineup with the New
    AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Super-Telephoto Lens and AF-S
    NIKKOR18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Wide-Angle Lens

    MELVILLE, N.Y. – Today, Nikon Inc. introduced the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm
    f/5.6E FL ED VR super-telephoto lens and AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm
    f/3.5-4.5G ED ultra-wide-angle zoom lens, designed to assist
    FX-format photographers in capturing their subjects with clarity and
    precision. Specifically engineered for sports, wildlife and
    photojournalists, the 800mm f/5.6 offers the longest focal length of
    any NIKKOR autofocus (AF) lens, affording photographers the
    opportunity to get closer to their subject with extreme telephoto
    capability. Additionally, the compact and lightweight 18-35mm
    f/3.5-4.5 is an ultra-wide-angle lens option with a 1.9x zoom range
    is an ideal focal length for landscape photography and other
    wide-angle applications.
    me, Jan 31, 2013

  2. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/31/2013 3:54 PM, me wrote:
    > http://preview.tinyurl.com/bk7chrd
    >

    > Nikon Continues to Expand Upon the NIKKOR Lens Lineup with the New
    > AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Super-Telephoto Lens and AF-S
    > NIKKOR18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Wide-Angle Lens
    >
    > MELVILLE, N.Y. – Today, Nikon Inc. introduced the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm
    > f/5.6E FL ED VR super-telephoto lens and AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm
    > f/3.5-4.5G ED ultra-wide-angle zoom lens, designed to assist
    > FX-format photographers in capturing their subjects with clarity and
    > precision. Specifically engineered for sports, wildlife and
    > photojournalists, the 800mm f/5.6 offers the longest focal length of
    > any NIKKOR autofocus (AF) lens, affording photographers the
    > opportunity to get closer to their subject with extreme telephoto
    > capability. Additionally, the compact and lightweight 18-35mm
    > f/3.5-4.5 is an ultra-wide-angle lens option with a 1.9x zoom range
    > is an ideal focal length for landscape photography and other
    > wide-angle applications.

    Yeah! I just picked up the new lens lineup. I hope my drool doesn't Fu
    my keyboard. I don't understand why they incorporate VR in a lens that
    weighs 178 ounces.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Jan 31, 2013

  3. me

    nick c Guest

    On 1/31/2013 12:54 PM, me wrote:
    > http://preview.tinyurl.com/bk7chrd
    >

    > Nikon Continues to Expand Upon the NIKKOR Lens Lineup with the New
    > AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Super-Telephoto Lens and AF-S
    > NIKKOR18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Wide-Angle Lens
    >
    > MELVILLE, N.Y. – Today, Nikon Inc. introduced the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm
    > f/5.6E FL ED VR super-telephoto lens and AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm
    > f/3.5-4.5G ED ultra-wide-angle zoom lens, designed to assist
    > FX-format photographers in capturing their subjects with clarity and
    > precision. Specifically engineered for sports, wildlife and
    > photojournalists, the 800mm f/5.6 offers the longest focal length of
    > any NIKKOR autofocus (AF) lens, affording photographers the
    > opportunity to get closer to their subject with extreme telephoto
    > capability. Additionally, the compact and lightweight 18-35mm
    > f/3.5-4.5 is an ultra-wide-angle lens option with a 1.9x zoom range
    > is an ideal focal length for landscape photography and other
    > wide-angle applications.

    Just thinking about the 800 F5.6 lens has my salivating glands working.
    nick c, Jan 31, 2013
  4. me

    me Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 13:39:43 -0800, nick c <>
    wrote:

    >Just thinking about the 800 F5.6 lens has my salivating glands working.

    I'm not sure what scares me more, the ~U$18kmsrp or the 10+# weight.
    me, Jan 31, 2013
  5. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/31/2013 6:17 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-01-31 15:08:42 -0800, me <> said:
    >
    >> On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 13:39:43 -0800, nick c <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just thinking about the 800 F5.6 lens has my salivating glands working.

    >> I'm not sure what scares me more, the ~U$18kmsrp or the 10+# weight.

    > This is the type of lens you rent for a project, along with a gimbal head.
    > < http://www.lensprotogo.com/ >

    My friends who have large & heavy lenses, all use a Gimbal head. Tht and
    the requisite heavy tripod add a lot of weight. the good side is the
    increased weight will be offset by a lighter wallet.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Feb 1, 2013
  6. me

    Trevor Guest

    "PeterN" <> wrote in message
    > Yeah! I just picked up the new lens lineup. I hope my drool doesn't Fu my
    > keyboard. I don't understand why they incorporate VR in a lens that weighs
    > 178 ounces.

    Some people like the ability to hand hold at slow shutter speeds.

    Trevor.
    Trevor, Feb 1, 2013
  7. me

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 15:54:17 -0500, me <> wrote:
    : http://preview.tinyurl.com/bk7chrd
    :
    :
    : Nikon Continues to Expand Upon the NIKKOR Lens Lineup with the New
    : AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Super-Telephoto Lens and AF-S
    : NIKKOR18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Wide-Angle Lens
    :
    : MELVILLE, N.Y. – Today, Nikon Inc. introduced the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm
    : f/5.6E FL ED VR super-telephoto lens and AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm
    : f/3.5-4.5G ED ultra-wide-angle zoom lens, designed to assist
    : FX-format photographers in capturing their subjects with clarity and
    : precision. Specifically engineered for sports, wildlife and
    : photojournalists, the 800mm f/5.6 offers the longest focal length of
    : any NIKKOR autofocus (AF) lens, ...

    And how many zeros should we assume will appear in the price of that doggie?
    ;^)

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Feb 1, 2013
  8. me

    Wally Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 19:40:44 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2013-01-31 19:19:06 -0800, Robert Coe <> said:
    >
    >> On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 15:54:17 -0500, me <> wrote:
    >> : http://preview.tinyurl.com/bk7chrd
    >> :
    >> :
    >> : Nikon Continues to Expand Upon the NIKKOR Lens Lineup with the New
    >> : AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Super-Telephoto Lens and AF-S
    >> : NIKKOR18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Wide-Angle Lens
    >> :
    >> : MELVILLE, N.Y. – Today, Nikon Inc. introduced the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm
    >> : f/5.6E FL ED VR super-telephoto lens and AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm
    >> : f/3.5-4.5G ED ultra-wide-angle zoom lens, designed to assist
    >> : FX-format photographers in capturing their subjects with clarity and
    >> : precision. Specifically engineered for sports, wildlife and
    >> : photojournalists, the 800mm f/5.6 offers the longest focal length of
    >> : any NIKKOR autofocus (AF) lens, ...
    >>
    >> And how many zeros should we assume will appear in the price of that doggie?
    >> ;^)
    >>
    >> Bob

    >3 zeros preceded by an "18".
    >
    >I decided some time back that if I had a need for exotic glass for a
    >weekend or a week, rental was the sensible way to go.

    Florida is a birder's paradise, and I would love to be let loose there
    with a 500 or 600 or 800mm lens. Buying could not be justified, nor
    would it be easy transporting big lenses by air together with their
    tripods and gimbal heads. So renting would seem to be the answer. But
    just try finding big glass for rent in Miami. I have and failed.

    Wally, Feb 1, 2013
  9. me

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 31, 9:38 pm, PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 1/31/2013 6:17 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >
    > > On 2013-01-31 15:08:42 -0800, me <> said:

    > >> I'm not sure what scares me more, the ~U$18kmsrp or the 10+# weight.

    > > This is the type of lens you rent for a project, along with a gimbal head.
    > > <http://www.lensprotogo.com/>

    > My friends who have large & heavy lenses, all use a Gimbal head.

    Most of them are hugely under-gunned for what is needed. A top-flight
    tripod (if you can carry it) is needed for an 800mm lens. I've got
    one of these. If you have a spare $2000-$4000 for the tripod and
    $1000 for they head, they are some of the best.

    http://www.quickset.com/products-technologies/durable-tripods/
    RichA, Feb 1, 2013
  10. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/1/2013 9:54 AM, RichA wrote:
    > On Jan 31, 9:38 pm, PeterN <> wrote:

    >>> This is the type of lens you rent for a project, along with a gimbal head.
    >>> <http://www.lensprotogo.com/>

    >> My friends who have large & heavy lenses, all use a Gimbal head.

    > Most of them are hugely under-gunned for what is needed. A top-flight
    > tripod (if you can carry it) is needed for an 800mm lens. I've got
    > one of these. If you have a spare $2000-$4000 for the tripod and
    > $1000 for they head, they are some of the best.
    >
    > http://www.quickset.com/products-technologies/durable-tripods/

    I think that is overkill for the average amateur, to say the least. You
    don't need 400lb capacity. I have a Cullman, which is more than ample
    for that weight. The cost is considerably less.

    <http://www.cullmann.de/en/tripods.html>

    You are right about the cost of the Gimbal, with all bells & whistles.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Feb 1, 2013
  11. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/1/2013 1:42 AM, Wally wrote:

    <snip>

    > Florida is a birder's paradise, and I would love to be let loose there
    > with a 500 or 600 or 800mm lens. Buying could not be justified, nor
    > would it be easy transporting big lenses by air together with their
    > tripods and gimbal heads. So renting would seem to be the answer. But
    > just try finding big glass for rent in Miami. I have and failed.

    You might consider a very high resolution camera. Here is an example of
    a shot from over 100 yds away, with my 70-200mm using a 1.7 extender.
    i.e. effective 340mm, hand held. I could pro bably crop mire without the
    image breaking up.

    The first image is full frame.
    The last is a crop.
    <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/_DSC6570.jpg>

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Feb 1, 2013
  12. me

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 1, 10:45 am, PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 2/1/2013 9:54 AM, RichA wrote:

    > >> My friends who have large & heavy lenses, all use a Gimbal head.

    > > Most of them are hugely under-gunned for what is needed.  A top-flight
    > > tripod (if you can carry it) is needed for an 800mm lens.  I've got
    > > one of these.  If you have a spare $2000-$4000 for the tripod and
    > > $1000 for they head, they are some of the best.

    > >  http://www.quickset.com/products-technologies/durable-tripods/

    > I think that is overkill for the average amateur, to say the least. You
    > don't need 400lb capacity. I have a Cullman, which is more than ample
    > for that weight. The cost is considerably less.
    >
    > <http://www.cullmann.de/en/tripods.html>
    >
    > You are right about the cost of the Gimbal, with all bells & whistles.
    >
    > --
    > PeterN

    They have some tripods there that are good to lesser weight. If you
    really go nuts, they have active stabilization systems to eliminate
    low-frequency motion.
    RichA, Feb 1, 2013
  13. me

    nick c Guest

    On 2/1/2013 7:58 AM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 2/1/2013 1:42 AM, Wally wrote:
    >

    > <snip>
    >

    >> Florida is a birder's paradise, and I would love to be let loose there
    >> with a 500 or 600 or 800mm lens. Buying could not be justified, nor
    >> would it be easy transporting big lenses by air together with their
    >> tripods and gimbal heads. So renting would seem to be the answer. But
    >> just try finding big glass for rent in Miami. I have and failed.
    >>

    > You might consider a very high resolution camera. Here is an example of
    > a shot from over 100 yds away, with my 70-200mm using a 1.7 extender.
    > i.e. effective 340mm, hand held. I could pro bably crop mire without the
    > image breaking up.
    >
    > The first image is full frame.
    > The last is a crop.
    > <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/_DSC6570.jpg>

    Not bad, Peter ... not bad at all. Personally, I like dogs. :)
    nick c, Feb 1, 2013
  14. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/1/2013 4:53 PM, nick c wrote:
    > On 2/1/2013 7:58 AM, PeterN wrote:
    >> On 2/1/2013 1:42 AM, Wally wrote:
    >>

    >> <snip>
    >>

    >>> Florida is a birder's paradise, and I would love to be let loose there
    >>> with a 500 or 600 or 800mm lens. Buying could not be justified, nor
    >>> would it be easy transporting big lenses by air together with their
    >>> tripods and gimbal heads. So renting would seem to be the answer. But
    >>> just try finding big glass for rent in Miami. I have and failed.
    >>>

    >> You might consider a very high resolution camera. Here is an example of
    >> a shot from over 100 yds away, with my 70-200mm using a 1.7 extender.
    >> i.e. effective 340mm, hand held. I could pro bably crop mire without the
    >> image breaking up.
    >>
    >> The first image is full frame.
    >> The last is a crop.
    >> <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/_DSC6570.jpg>
    >>

    > Not bad, Peter ... not bad at all. Personally, I like dogs. :)

    So do I. Unfortunately we are not allowed one where we live.

    Here's one of a dog with a bird.
    <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/duck%20for%20dinner.jpg>

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Feb 1, 2013
  15. me

    nick c Guest

    On 2/1/2013 2:22 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-02-01 14:08:42 -0800, PeterN <> said:

    >>> Not bad, Peter ... not bad at all. Personally, I like dogs. :)

    >> So do I. Unfortunately we are not allowed one where we live.
    >>
    >> Here's one of a dog with a bird.
    >> <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/duck%20for%20dinner.jpg>

    > ...and here is my departed girl's opinion of all that!
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/Gypsy-opinion-w.jpg >

    Hey Duck, if I didn't know better I'd think that dog bit-off someone's
    personal jewel. :)
    nick c, Feb 1, 2013
  16. me

    nick c Guest

    On 2/1/2013 2:08 PM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 2/1/2013 4:53 PM, nick c wrote:
    >> On 2/1/2013 7:58 AM, PeterN wrote:
    >>> On 2/1/2013 1:42 AM, Wally wrote:
    >>>

    >>> <snip>

    >>> You might consider a very high resolution camera. Here is an example of
    >>> a shot from over 100 yds away, with my 70-200mm using a 1.7 extender.
    >>> i.e. effective 340mm, hand held. I could pro bably crop mire without the
    >>> image breaking up.
    >>>
    >>> The first image is full frame.
    >>> The last is a crop.
    >>> <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/_DSC6570.jpg>
    >>>

    >> Not bad, Peter ... not bad at all. Personally, I like dogs. :)

    > So do I. Unfortunately we are not allowed one where we live.
    >
    > Here's one of a dog with a bird.
    > <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/duck%20for%20dinner.jpg>

    That's a good shot too. My last dog was a Japanese Ikita. That dog would
    have eaten the bird.
    nick c, Feb 1, 2013
  17. me

    nick c Guest

    On 2/1/2013 2:43 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-02-01 14:38:07 -0800, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:

    >>> Hey Duck, if I didn't know better I'd think that dog bit-off
    >>> someone's personal jewel. :)

    >> Naah! She was a sweet heart. She would lick you to death.
    >> ...if you were properly introduced.

    > This was usual guard position, on "her" chair.
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/Gypsy-1Aw.jpg >

    Now, that's a layed-back pose that appeals to me and is in harmony with
    my general nature. Aah .... :)
    nick c, Feb 1, 2013
  18. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/1/2013 5:43 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-02-01 14:38:07 -0800, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:

    >>> Hey Duck, if I didn't know better I'd think that dog bit-off
    >>> someone's personal jewel. :)

    >> Naah! She was a sweet heart. She would lick you to death.
    >> ...if you were properly introduced.

    > This was usual guard position, on "her" chair.
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/Gypsy-1Aw.jpg >

    Theyu become like family. When the time came for our collie, I couldn't
    do it. My wife had to handle take her on her final trip to the vet.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Feb 2, 2013
  19. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/1/2013 5:39 PM, nick c wrote:
    > On 2/1/2013 2:08 PM, PeterN wrote:

    <snip>

    >> Here's one of a dog with a bird.
    >> <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/duck%20for%20dinner.jpg>
    >>

    > That's a good shot too. My last dog was a Japanese Ikita. That dog would
    > have eaten the bird.

    Thank you. That shot won print of the year in my CC.
    My younger daughter used to take care of an Akita for one of her
    neighbors, when they were out. One day she took the dog to an outdoor
    coffee shop, where she sat down with the Akita. Some guy made got closer
    than the dog thought safe. The dog went to full alert and stared at an
    imaginary point on the ground.. fortunately, this guy had the good sense
    not to cross that line.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Feb 2, 2013
  20. me

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/1/2013 7:17 PM, Elliott Roper wrote:
    > In article <510be63d$0$10794$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> <snip>
    >> You might consider a very high resolution camera. Here is an example of
    >> a shot from over 100 yds away, with my 70-200mm using a 1.7 extender.
    >> i.e. effective 340mm, hand held. I could pro bably crop mire without the
    >> image breaking up.
    >>
    >> The first image is full frame.
    >> The last is a crop.
    >> <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/_DSC6570.jpg>

    > I can see why you need to stand back with a tele lens for that critter.
    > He has not finished eating the last guy's lens ;-)

    Nah! Iguanas are harmless, but they like to eat eggs. ;-)

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Feb 2, 2013