    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Mar 21, 2006

  2. Barry OGrady

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Barry OGrady spewed forth:
    > I have an Exabyte HH CTS 8 mm DAT tape drive.
    > It loads a Video 8 video cassette tape OK but can a Video 8 tape be
    > used for data storage with this drive?

    Probably not. Not up to spec.

    > Can the drive play video tapes?

    No.

    > I have the drive in a PC connected to a Tekram SCSI controller and
    > it shows properly in Windows device manager.
    > What else do I need by way of drivers and programs to use the drive
    > to backup files?

    Tape backup software. Check for hardware compatibility before buying.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 21, 2006

  3. Barry OGrady

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:45:29 -0800, "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Barry OGrady spewed forth:
    >> I have an Exabyte HH CTS 8 mm DAT tape drive.
    >> It loads a Video 8 video cassette tape OK but can a Video 8 tape be
    >> used for data storage with this drive?

    >Probably not. Not up to spec.

    That's what I thought.
    I had a Honeywell System 8 mini computer with a dual software controlled
    tape decks. The tapes it used looked like standard audio cassettes but the
    tape itself was different.

    >> Can the drive play video tapes?

    Again I thought that would be the case. I wondered because I have some
    Video 8 tapes that I can't play because my Video 8 camcorder wore out.

    >No.
    >
    >> I have the drive in a PC connected to a Tekram SCSI controller and
    >> it shows properly in Windows device manager.
    >> What else do I need by way of drivers and programs to use the drive
    >> to backup files?

    >Tape backup software. Check for hardware compatibility before buying.

    Thanks. Can I use the backup software included with Window Server 2003?

    >--

    Barry
    =====

    Barry OGrady, Mar 21, 2006
  4. Barry OGrady

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Barry OGrady spewed forth:
    > On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:45:29 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > Thanks. Can I use the backup software included with Window Server
    > 2003?

    I would think so, but since we use Symantec's "Backup Exec" I never really
    checked to see if the server backup program worked with our tape unit.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 21, 2006