    an ad-hoc basis with some ex-employees PC's remaining switched on so
    colleagues can check their incoming mail.

    TIA, Jason.

    Jason, Jul 24, 2006

  2. Jason

    GuitarMan Guest

    "Jason" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns980A81A5F615Aspamspamspamspanishi@140.99.99.130...
    > Can anyone point me to a document which outlines a good ex-employee policy
    > for an IT department. The kind of thing I'm looking for is what to do with
    > an ex-employees email, their files, etc, ect. Currently things are done on
    > an ad-hoc basis with some ex-employees PC's remaining switched on so
    > colleagues can check their incoming mail.
    >
    > TIA, Jason.

    We normally asked their superior what they wanted done with it....

    GuitarMan, Jul 24, 2006

  3. Jason

    Ken Ward Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 11:44:42 GMT, Jason
    <> wrote:

    >Can anyone point me to a document which outlines a good ex-employee policy
    >for an IT department. The kind of thing I'm looking for is what to do with
    >an ex-employees email, their files, etc, ect. Currently things are done on
    >an ad-hoc basis with some ex-employees PC's remaining switched on so
    >colleagues can check their incoming mail.
    >
    >TIA, Jason.

    In the places I have worked, the usual policy was written by a Dalek
    ["Exterminate"] and published in several volumes over the signature of
    the Department Head.

    Shared work files are deleted, copies should exist on a shared drive.
    Other files, including mail files, are moved to permanent media &
    stored for a specified period. Machine is wiped. All userids are
    wiped. All access lists are pruned.

    Ken Ward, Jul 25, 2006
  4. Jason

    Ron Lopshire Guest

    Jason wrote:

    > Can anyone point me to a document which outlines a good ex-employee policy
    > for an IT department. The kind of thing I'm looking for is what to do with
    > an ex-employees email, their files, etc, ect. Currently things are done on
    > an ad-hoc basis with some ex-employees PC's remaining switched on so
    > colleagues can check their incoming mail.

    Jason,

    In the US, any specification prior to July 30, 2002, is obsolete.

    Sarbanes-Oxley Act
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarbanes_Oxley)

    How Sarbanes-Oxley Affects Corporate Email Systems
    (http://www.ciphertrust.com/resources/articles/articles/sox.php)

    COSO was supposed to alleviate some of the problems (like email
    storage, security, IT issues, etc.) that SOX caused for the small
    businessman/woman, but alas.

    COSO makes life worse for small businesses
    (http://www.infowatch.biz/threats?chapter=162971949&id=191811416)

    Gee. Imagine that. A bunch of lawyers, politicians and bureaucrats
    cannot seem to alleviate a bureaucratic problem.

    Ron :)

    Ron Lopshire, Jul 25, 2006
  5. Jason

    noi Guest

    Jason wrote:
    > Can anyone point me to a document which outlines a good ex-employee policy
    > for an IT department. The kind of thing I'm looking for is what to do with
    > an ex-employees email, their files, etc, ect. Currently things are done on
    > an ad-hoc basis with some ex-employees PC's remaining switched on so
    > colleagues can check their incoming mail.
    >
    > TIA, Jason.

    Where I work, we disconnect their PC and hold it for a while. Their
    account is locked with their e-mail, phone extension, and voicemail
    being redirected towards someone else. (usually their former department
    head)

    Their home directory files then get cone thru and held for a while too.

    NOI

    noi, Jul 25, 2006