EWWWWW!!! News Article...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Toolman Tim, May 6, 2006.

  1. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Toolman Tim, May 6, 2006

  2. Toolman Tim wrote:

    I dunno, it's awfully difficult to watch what I'm drinking.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 6, 2006

  3. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Rôgêr spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    > I dunno, it's awfully difficult to watch what I'm drinking.

    Kinda makes ya go seriously cross-eyed, doesn't it <g>]

    One of my favorite parts of The Hitchhikers Guide was when Ford told Arthur
    that going into hyperspace was like being drunk. Arthur says something like
    "what's so bad about being drunk", and Ford said "Ask a glass of water".

    Toolman Tim, May 6, 2006
  4. Toolman Tim

    1 of 1 Guest

    1 of 1, May 6, 2006
  5. 1 of 1 wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> Okay - so it's Friday night, and I'm sitting here watching TV and catching
    >> up on the news and I came across this:
    >>
    >> http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=29&art_id=qw1146750120221B235&set_id=1
    >> or
    >> http://tinyurl.com/jnd6d
    >>
    >> Ya'll better watch what YOU'RE drinking tonight <g>
    >>

    > My fridge is 302 litres. There wouldn't be much room in there for rum
    > once you've stuffed a body in there.

    But there's always room for Jell-O.

    --
    Blinky T. "it's an old advertising slogan" Shark

    Blinky the Shark, May 6, 2006
  6. Toolman Tim

    Mara Guest

    On 6 May 2006 04:46:38 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >1 of 1 wrote:
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>> Okay - so it's Friday night, and I'm sitting here watching TV and catching
    >>> up on the news and I came across this:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=29&art_id=qw1146750120221B235&set_id=1
    >>> or
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/jnd6d
    >>>
    >>> Ya'll better watch what YOU'RE drinking tonight <g>
    >>>

    >> My fridge is 302 litres. There wouldn't be much room in there for rum
    >> once you've stuffed a body in there.

    >But there's always room for Jell-O.
    >
    >--
    >Blinky T. "it's an old advertising slogan" Shark

    Is there a newsgroup leak in here? Or have you been possessed by Gym or Morely?

    "For a second there I thought I hadn't switched groups...."

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, May 6, 2006
  7. Mara wrote:
    > On 6 May 2006 04:46:38 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >>1 of 1 wrote:

    >>> My fridge is 302 litres. There wouldn't be much room in there for rum
    >>> once you've stuffed a body in there.

    >>But there's always room for Jell-O.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Blinky T. "it's an old advertising slogan" Shark

    > Is there a newsgroup leak in here? Or have you been possessed by Gym or Morely?
    >
    > "For a second there I thought I hadn't switched groups...."

    With which group?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, May 6, 2006
  8. Toolman Tim

    Mara Guest

    On 6 May 2006 05:49:39 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:

    >>>But there's always room for Jell-O.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Blinky T. "it's an old advertising slogan" Shark

    >> Is there a newsgroup leak in here? Or have you been possessed by Gym or Morely?
    >>
    >> "For a second there I thought I hadn't switched groups...."

    >With which group?

    Nanae, tonight.

    That's Gym's trademark style. Morely used to do it in his nic, but hasn't
    lately. The funny thing is that I'd just come from there when you posted the
    above.

    "Deja vu, for a second."

    Mara, May 6, 2006
  9. Toolman Tim

    Gordon Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Okay - so it's Friday night, and I'm sitting here watching TV and
    > catching up on the news and I came across this:
    >
    > http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=29&art_id=qw1146750120221B235&set_id=1
    > or
    > http://tinyurl.com/jnd6d
    >
    > Ya'll better watch what YOU'RE drinking tonight <g>

    That's the origin of Nelson's Blood - when Nelson was killed at Trafalgar
    they put his body in a barrel of rum to preserve it until they got back to
    Blighty, but the sailors used to tap a bit off and drink it, in the hope
    that it would pass on Nelson's heroic qualities to them.

    Gordon, May 6, 2006
  10. Mara wrote:
    > On 6 May 2006 05:49:39 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >>Mara wrote:

    >>> Is there a newsgroup leak in here? Or have you been possessed by Gym or Morely?
    >>>
    >>> "For a second there I thought I hadn't switched groups...."

    >>With which group?

    > Nanae, tonight.

    Ah!

    I haven't read that or nanau for quite a while. I think I shall; I've
    been running through my usual froups pretty quickly, lately.

    > That's Gym's trademark style. Morely used to do it in his nic, but hasn't
    > lately. The funny thing is that I'd just come from there when you posted the
    > above.
    >
    > "Deja vu, for a second."

    Gotcha. :)

    Blinky the Shark, May 6, 2006
  11. Toolman Tim

    1 of 1 Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> Okay - so it's Friday night, and I'm sitting here watching TV and
    >> catching up on the news and I came across this:
    >>
    >> http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=29&art_id=qw1146750120221B235&set_id=1
    >> or
    >> http://tinyurl.com/jnd6d
    >>
    >> Ya'll better watch what YOU'RE drinking tonight <g>

    > That's the origin of Nelson's Blood - when Nelson was killed at Trafalgar
    > they put his body in a barrel of rum to preserve it until they got back to
    > Blighty, but the sailors used to tap a bit off and drink it, in the hope
    > that it would pass on Nelson's heroic qualities to them.

    Why would anyone want to be that heroic? Look what it did for him.

    1 of 1, May 6, 2006
  12. Toolman Tim

    Mara Guest

    On 6 May 2006 07:02:37 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >> On 6 May 2006 05:49:39 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >>>With which group?

    >> Nanae, tonight.

    >Ah!
    >
    >I haven't read that or nanau for quite a while. I think I shall; I've
    >been running through my usual froups pretty quickly, lately.

    Nanau? Agh. It's a joke.

    >> That's Gym's trademark style. Morely used to do it in his nic, but hasn't
    >> lately. The funny thing is that I'd just come from there when you posted the
    >> above.
    >>
    >> "Deja vu, for a second."

    >Gotcha. :)

    Hope you have some good filters going for nanae. Dippy's back, pulling his usual
    crap - screaming about censorship while flooding the group and thereby censoring
    everyone else.

    "He's a legend in his own mind."

    Mara, May 6, 2006
  13. Toolman Tim

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-05-06, 1 of 1 <> wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>> Okay - so it's Friday night, and I'm sitting here watching TV and
    >>> catching up on the news and I came across this:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=29&art_id=qw1146750120221B235&set_id=1
    >>> or
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/jnd6d
    >>>
    >>> Ya'll better watch what YOU'RE drinking tonight <g>

    >> That's the origin of Nelson's Blood - when Nelson was killed at Trafalgar
    >> they put his body in a barrel of rum to preserve it until they got back to
    >> Blighty, but the sailors used to tap a bit off and drink it, in the hope
    >> that it would pass on Nelson's heroic qualities to them.
    >>

    > Why would anyone want to be that heroic? Look what it did for him.

    Fame, fortune, women, and enough drink to swim in. Some people would
    find any of those worth a lot of pain (which in those days they probably
    all had plenty of anyway), let alone all of them. Having major body parts
    hacked or blasted off wasn't unusual for serving men circa 1800 (or for
    civilians for that matter).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, May 6, 2006
  14. Mara wrote:
    > On 6 May 2006 07:02:37 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >>Mara wrote:
    >>> On 6 May 2006 05:49:39 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    ><snip>

    >>> Nanae, tonight.

    >>Ah!
    >>
    >>I haven't read that or nanau for quite a while. I think I shall; I've
    >>been running through my usual froups pretty quickly, lately.

    > Nanau? Agh. It's a joke.
    >
    >>> That's Gym's trademark style. Morely used to do it in his nic, but hasn't
    >>> lately. The funny thing is that I'd just come from there when you posted the
    >>> above.
    >>>
    >>> "Deja vu, for a second."

    >>Gotcha. :)

    > Hope you have some good filters going for nanae. Dippy's back, pulling his usual

    I'll make some. I started my score file from scratch this winter, and I
    haven't been in nana* since.

    Blinky the Shark, May 6, 2006
  15. Toolman Tim

    Mara Guest

    On 6 May 2006 18:06:51 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:

    <snip>
    >> Hope you have some good filters going for nanae. Dippy's back, pulling his usual

    >I'll make some. I started my score file from scratch this winter, and I
    >haven't been in nana* since.

    I had a friend who suddenly disappeared from sight in this very group about a
    month ago. I went over my usenet filters in Agent, over and over, searching high
    and low, but could not find the person killfiled anywhere. But I *knew* the
    person was posting because it's a good friend that I talk to in Trillian every
    day.

    So, last night, I dumped the entire filter set. Over ten *years* worth of
    filters. For that one person, because they're worth it. :)

    I kept a copy of my old filters, though, and will continue to search them,
    because I have since had ample cause to regret dumping the original .dat file.

    I wish nFilter would run on here, but it won't, and I've been too sick/tired to
    mess with it. I've been off work for the last 10 days.

    Mara, May 6, 2006
  16. X-No-Archive: YES
    Toolman Tim [] has entered into testimony
    NuT6g.800$

    > Okay - so it's Friday night, and I'm sitting here watching TV and
    > catching up on the news and I came across this:

    http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=29&art_id=qw1146750120221B235&set_id=1
    > or
    > http://tinyurl.com/jnd6d
    >
    > Ya'll better watch what YOU'RE drinking tonight <g>

    Have one on the house ;)

    --

    Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
    ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com

    Chadwick Stone©, May 6, 2006
  17. Toolman Tim

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-05-06, Mara <> wrote:
    > On 6 May 2006 18:06:51 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >>Mara wrote:

    ><snip>
    >>> Hope you have some good filters going for nanae. Dippy's back, pulling his usual

    >>I'll make some. I started my score file from scratch this winter, and I
    >>haven't been in nana* since.

    > I had a friend who suddenly disappeared from sight in this very group about a
    > month ago. I went over my usenet filters in Agent, over and over, searching high
    > and low, but could not find the person killfiled anywhere. But I *knew* the
    > person was posting because it's a good friend that I talk to in Trillian every
    > day.

    Based on:
    ....http://groups.google.com/group/news.admin.net-abuse.email/I cut it off,
    too long...:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?P1022421D
    I just re-did my score file but in an opposite way.

    > So, last night, I dumped the entire filter set. Over ten *years* worth of
    > filters. For that one person, because they're worth it. :)

    I'm trying to filter out 'bad' google-groups posters but there are some good
    ones...It's the only way they can get to USENET and they are responsible
    contributors. I'm living with it for now. (Not in 24HS.HD)

    > I kept a copy of my old filters, though, and will continue to search them,
    > because I have since had ample cause to regret dumping the original .dat file.

    "Copy-Paste"...The one was worth it, the many are worth it (last resort,
    obvious to you)

    > I wish nFilter would run on here, but it won't, and I've been too sick/tired to
    > mess with it. I've been off work for the last 10 days.

    There is always another config file *somewhere* but it can wait.

    --
    At least I didn't break my computer on my last Debian Sid "upgrade".
    (Sid is the one who breaks toys)

    Jimchip, May 7, 2006
  18. Toolman Tim

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 06 May 2006 23:27:13 -0000, Jimchip
    <> wrote:

    >On 2006-05-06, Mara <> wrote:
    >> On 6 May 2006 18:06:51 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Mara wrote:

    >><snip>
    >>>
    >>>I'll make some. I started my score file from scratch this winter, and I
    >>>haven't been in nana* since.

    >> I had a friend who suddenly disappeared from sight in this very group about a
    >> month ago. I went over my usenet filters in Agent, over and over, searching high
    >> and low, but could not find the person killfiled anywhere. But I *knew* the
    >> person was posting because it's a good friend that I talk to in Trillian every
    >> day.

    >Based on:
    >...http://groups.google.com/group/news.admin.net-abuse.email/I cut it off,
    >too long...:
    >http://makeashorterlink.com/?P1022421D
    >I just re-did my score file but in an opposite way.
    >
    >> So, last night, I dumped the entire filter set. Over ten *years* worth of
    >> filters. For that one person, because they're worth it. :)

    >I'm trying to filter out 'bad' google-groups posters but there are some good
    >ones...It's the only way they can get to USENET and they are responsible
    >contributors. I'm living with it for now. (Not in 24HS.HD)

    Hmmm. A 2GB/month Giganews account is $7.99/month. *Great* retention. Supernews
    is cheaper yet, Both are white-hat, both have binary groups, and Supernews has a
    free 30-day trial.

    You might want to point that out to them. It's my experience that, more and
    more, all of google-groups is being blocked.

    >> I kept a copy of my old filters, though, and will continue to search them,
    >> because I have since had ample cause to regret dumping the original .dat file.

    >"Copy-Paste"...The one was worth it, the many are worth it (last resort,
    >obvious to you)

    Usually, the many outweigh the few. In this case, the one outweighs all.

    >> I wish nFilter would run on here, but it won't, and I've been too sick/tired to
    >> mess with it. I've been off work for the last 10 days.

    >There is always another config file *somewhere* but it can wait.

    It's gonna be awhile.

    "Months, in this case."

    Mara, May 7, 2006
  19. Toolman Tim

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-05-06, Mara <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 May 2006 23:27:13 -0000, Jimchip
    ><> wrote:

    >>><snip>

    >>> I had a friend who suddenly disappeared from sight in this very group about a
    >>> month ago. I went over my usenet filters in Agent, over and over, searching high
    >>> and low, but could not find the person killfiled anywhere. But I *knew* the
    >>> person was posting because it's a good friend that I talk to in Trillian every
    >>> day.

    >>Based on:
    >>...http://groups.google.com/group/news.admin.net-abuse.email/I cut it off,
    >>too long...:
    >>http://makeashorterlink.com/?P1022421D
    >>I just re-did my score file but in an opposite way.
    >>
    >>> So, last night, I dumped the entire filter set. Over ten *years* worth of
    >>> filters. For that one person, because they're worth it. :)

    >>I'm trying to filter out 'bad' google-groups posters but there are some good
    >>ones...It's the only way they can get to USENET and they are responsible
    >>contributors. I'm living with it for now. (Not in 24HS.HD)

    > Hmmm. A 2GB/month Giganews account is $7.99/month. *Great* retention. Supernews
    > is cheaper yet, Both are white-hat, both have binary groups, and Supernews has a
    > free 30-day trial.
    >
    > You might want to point that out to them. It's my experience that, more and
    > more, all of google-groups is being blocked.

    For one thing, SN has Dippy blocked from the get-go. I'm getting ready to
    get Leafnode going (after Postfix) and I feel pretty good about egregious
    abuse getting pre-blocked.

    >>> I kept a copy of my old filters, though, and will continue to search them,
    >>> because I have since had ample cause to regret dumping the original .dat file.

    >>"Copy-Paste"...The one was worth it, the many are worth it (last resort,
    >>obvious to you)

    > Usually, the many outweigh the few. In this case, the one outweighs all.

    "~" as a "not"-symbol works in mine...if'n you can find the one.

    --
    There's always luck

    Jimchip, May 7, 2006
  20. Mara wrote:
    > On 6 May 2006 18:06:51 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Mara wrote:

    ><snip>
    >>> Hope you have some good filters going for nanae. Dippy's back,
    >>> pulling his usual

    >>I'll make some. I started my score file from scratch this winter, and
    >>I haven't been in nana* since.

    > I had a friend who suddenly disappeared from sight in this very group
    > about a month ago. I went over my usenet filters in Agent, over and
    > over, searching high and low, but could not find the person killfiled
    > anywhere. But I *knew* the person was posting because it's a good
    > friend that I talk to in Trillian every day.
    >
    > So, last night, I dumped the entire filter set. Over ten *years* worth
    > of filters. For that one person, because they're worth it. :)
    >
    > I kept a copy of my old filters, though, and will continue to search
    > them, because I have since had ample cause to regret dumping the
    > original .dat file.

    Add half of them back in. See your friend? If so, remove them and add
    half of that half back. If not, the culprit is in the other half.
    Continue narrowing the field by half, like that, and entually you'll
    find the culprit. Half, a quarter, an eighth, etc.

    > I wish nFilter would run on here, but it won't, and I've been too
    > sick/tired to mess with it. I've been off work for the last 10 days.

    Never used nFilter. Or any kind of proxy or proxyish thing for news.

    Blinky the Shark, May 7, 2006