    --
    Gordon Niessen
    If you aren't on the bleeding edge, you are history.
    Gordon Niessen, Feb 26, 2004

  2. Gordon Niessen

    lcopps Guest

    They work pretty good. Accessing the controls can be very awkward though
    since you are operating your camera through a bag. Also, your camera
    will most likely not autofocus under water. Looking through the
    viewfinder is nearly impossible under water also. I set my manual focus
    to around 6 feet and attempt to frame my pictures from that distance.
    But, I have taken some very good photographs with the ewa marine bag.

    lcopps, Feb 27, 2004

  3. Gordon Niessen

    Dan Birchall Guest

    (Gordon Niessen) wrote:
    > Looking at getting a Ewa-Marine enclosure for a Canon Digital Rebel.
    > Anyone have one? Which model did you get? And how do you like it?

    I have a D-MM that I use with an old PowerShot S20 (used it with an old
    PowerShot A50 before that). It works pretty well, but I don't have any
    experience with their SLR enclosures.

    -Dan
    Dan Birchall, Feb 27, 2004
  4. Gordon Niessen

    Vin Guest

    lcopps <> wrote:
    > They work pretty good. Accessing the controls can be very awkward though
    > since you are operating your camera through a bag. Also, your camera
    > will most likely not autofocus under water. Looking through the
    > viewfinder is nearly impossible under water also. I set my manual focus
    > to around 6 feet and attempt to frame my pictures from that distance.
    > But, I have taken some very good photographs with the ewa marine bag.

    So how hard is it to focus on AF? I was thinking of getting
    one (D-AM) for my Coolpix 2500 which doesn't have manual
    focus. Is this due to lighting or scatter?

    --
    Vin
    Melbourne, Australia
    Vin, Feb 27, 2004
  5. Gordon Niessen

    Dave Head Guest

    On 26 Feb 2004 14:26:23 -0500, "Gordon Niessen" <> wrote:

    >Looking at getting a Ewa-Marine enclosure for a Canon Digital Rebel.
    >Anyone have one? Which model did you get? And how do you like it?
    >
    >The ewa site is recommending the U-AXP, which supports a top mounted
    >flash unit. But i am not planning on diving with it and don't need the
    >flash. I just was to take it kayaking and don't want water splashed on
    >it, or accidental submersion. So the U-A or D-A seem like a better
    >fit. But I can't find dimensional constrains for the camera body,
    >which seems to be the issue with the "Professional" camera designation
    >on the U-AXP.
    >
    >Any comments are appreciated.

    U-AXP comes with a bracket kit for the camera that mounts a plastic ring around
    the lens to keep the water pressure off the focus ring so it _should_
    autofocus.

    The bag is pretty big. I got my Nikon D1x into it finally. I had a problem
    with the aforementioned brackets, as the assemblies that come with it don't go
    together to mount that ring where it needs to be. With a camera smaller than
    the D1x (most all of 'em <G>) you can probably get it to work. _Do_ assemble
    this mechanism immediately upon receipt, and _do_ call the dealer and bug them
    until they refer you to the distributor if it doesn't fit. You don't get
    absolutely all the sizes of brackets that exist with the bag (but probably you
    should get 'em all...) I spent a vacation in Florida _not_ diving with my
    camera when I found out that the brackets wouldn't do what was required.

    So, I haven't actually had the assembly underwater yet, but plan to. Looks
    like it's gonna work, and beats the heck out of a $1599 Ikelite underwater
    housing for my D1x.

    Dave Head
    Dave Head, Feb 27, 2004
  6. Gordon Niessen

    max Guest

    > Gordon Niessen wrote:
    > > Looking at getting a Ewa-Marine enclosure for a Canon Digital Rebel.
    > > Anyone have one? Which model did you get? And how do you like it?
    > >
    > > The ewa site is recommending the U-AXP, which supports a top mounted
    > > flash unit. But i am not planning on diving with it and don't need the
    > > flash. I just was to take it kayaking and don't want water splashed on
    > > it, or accidental submersion. So the U-A or D-A seem like a better
    > > fit. But I can't find dimensional constrains for the camera body,
    > > which seems to be the issue with the "Professional" camera designation
    > > on the U-AXP.
    > >
    > > Any comments are appreciated.

    I use the U-AXP 100 with a S2Pro and 17-35afs and sb-24
    it works very well AF and looking thru the viewfinder is no
    problem down to 30m.
    I can't sugest any model for your requirements but sizes are
    listed here:
    http://www.ewa-marine.de/English/e-start-photo.htm
    ;o)-max-
    max, Feb 27, 2004