    destop is dead. Any suggestion?

    Thanks a lot.

    , Nov 2, 2005

  2. Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > I bought a EVGA e-GeForce FX5500 AGP card. I installed it then I got
    > black screen at startup, no video output, nothing. I used ATI
    > all-in-wonder 9000 before this EVGA card. Everything was fine. No, my
    > destop is dead. Any suggestion?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

    Put the old card back in.

    like an idiot.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 2, 2005

  3. Trax Guest

    wrote:

    |>I bought a EVGA e-GeForce FX5500 AGP card. I installed it then I got
    |>black screen at startup, no video output, nothing. I used ATI
    |>all-in-wonder 9000 before this EVGA card. Everything was fine. No, my
    |>destop is dead. Any suggestion?

    Reinstall the old video card, boot up remove the drivers and install
    standard VGA. Replace the old with the new, boot up and install the
    new drivers.

    --
    http://tinyurl.com/auyjl

    Trax, Nov 2, 2005
  4. Guest

    the problem is it doesn't work even I put the old card back. it looks
    like the EVGA card kill my motherboard.
    everything is gone. So disappointed

    , Nov 2, 2005
  5. Trax Guest

    wrote:

    |>the problem is it doesn't work even I put the old card back. it looks
    |>like the EVGA card kill my motherboard.
    |>everything is gone. So disappointed

    Ya, would ruin my day as well.

    Make sure you have a PC speaker hook'd up to the mother board; remove
    all video cards and start the computer up.

    On a normal boot up you should get one beep, if it's a problem with
    only the video cards you will get more than one beep and know that all
    isn't lost. (you can hope)

    --
    http://tinyurl.com/auyjl

    Trax, Nov 2, 2005
  6. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > the problem is it doesn't work even I put the old card back. it looks
    > like the EVGA card kill my motherboard.
    > everything is gone. So disappointed

    Cards dont kill mobos, as long as they are properly seated. And as long
    as you insert cards with the power off. Note that modern pcs the power
    is ALWAYS ON, unless you pull the plug, or, have that extra switch on
    the back of your power supply that actually stops power to the the mobo.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Nov 2, 2005
  7. Guest

    I don't understand what you mean by have that extra switch on
    the back of your power supply that actually stops power to the the
    mobo. what you suggest me to do the troubleshouting?

    , Nov 2, 2005
  8. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I don't understand what you mean by have that extra switch on
    > the back of your power supply that actually stops power to the the
    > mobo. what you suggest me to do the troubleshouting?

    Some power supplies have a toggle on back that shuts down power to the
    motherboard. On a modern computer, if the switch does not exist, then
    power is always on. This is required for stuff like "wake on lan" and
    wake on modem" to function.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Nov 2, 2005
  9. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I bought a EVGA e-GeForce FX5500 AGP card. I installed it then I got
    > black screen at startup, no video output, nothing. I used ATI
    > all-in-wonder 9000 before this EVGA card. Everything was fine. No, my
    > destop is dead. Any suggestion?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

    try resetting the bios

    philo, Nov 2, 2005
  10. "philo" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >>I bought a EVGA e-GeForce FX5500 AGP card. I installed it then I got
    >> black screen at startup, no video output, nothing. I used ATI
    >> all-in-wonder 9000 before this EVGA card. Everything was fine. No, my
    >> destop is dead. Any suggestion?
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot.
    >>

    > try resetting the bios

    Try not wearing your favourite nylon jumper next time, whilst rubbing a
    balloon on your head, and doing a moondance across your cheap polyester
    carpet.

    Antistatic precautions!

    **SS**

    Secret Squiddle, Nov 2, 2005
  11. Buffalo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I bought a EVGA e-GeForce FX5500 AGP card. I installed it then I got
    > black screen at startup, no video output, nothing. I used ATI
    > all-in-wonder 9000 before this EVGA card. Everything was fine. No, my
    > destop is dead. Any suggestion?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

    Do you hear any beeps?
    Do the fans spin?
    Is the voltage selector switch on the power supply unit in the proper position?
    (115v-230v)
    Recheck all connections because you may have loosened one while changing the
    card.
    Was the PC power turned off (unplugged) when you replaced the card?
    Perhaps your power supply unit gave up the ghost when you put the new card in.

    Buffalo, Nov 2, 2005
  12. Guest

    I don't hear any beeps, but both the fans for CPU and video card are
    on.
    is it possible the BIOS damaged?

    thanks,

    , Nov 2, 2005
  13. Buffalo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I don't hear any beeps, but both the fans for CPU and video card are
    > on.
    > is it possible the BIOS damaged?
    >
    > thanks,

    Look in the manual for your computer (or download one off the internet on
    another computer) and look for the BIOS clear jumper.
    Or, unplug the computer, remove the MB battery for around ten minutes (also hold
    in the ON button for a few seconds after removing the battery to help drain the
    capacitors, I think) and then replace it.
    This should clear the BIOS and put it in a default mode.
    Use your old vid card.
    You will have Standard VGA graphics and the icons will be large and fuzzy.
    You will have to reset the screen size (ie: 800x600, 1024x768, etc).
    It's also possible that you damaged or shorted out the contacts when you put the
    new card in. Look in the video slot (probably AGP) and see if there is anything
    in it that shouldn't be there, like dirt, etc)

    Buffalo, Nov 2, 2005
  14. Guest

    thanks,
    I am going to try tonight.