    regards,
    mac
    , Apr 19, 2006

  2. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi All,
    > Pls. help me decide whether to buy finepix 9000 or canon 350d.
    >
    > my main point of concern is that finepix doesn't have optical
    > viewfinder,
    > so it also means that while using studio flash i won't be able to look
    > at
    > the subject properly as evf will display on continues light(modelling
    > light)
    > and will show underexposed image for correct aperture set for flash
    > this is
    > not a problem in optical viewfinder as eyes adjusts accordingly.
    >
    > otherwise finepix is much cheaper then canon i'm tempted to buy it.
    >
    > can anybody firmly validate my point and say that because of the above
    > reason
    > i should buy a dslr.
    >
    > regards,
    > mac

    Hi.

    The brightness of the EVF does NOT vary as you vary the Aperture, and that
    is exactly the same on a DSLR.

    The above is fairly basic knowledge, and would have been obvious if you had
    actually handled these Cameras.

    Are you aware that Studio Flash will not work TTL, since the Camera has no
    means of extinguishing the Flash when sufficient exposure has been reached.

    Do you know, both Cameras will need to be used on Full
    Manual settings, with their own Flashes turned OFF, when you are using
    Studio Flash. And you will need to calculate the Aperture required, if you
    do not have a Flash Meter. The Shutter Speed will need to be set at or below
    the Maximum Synch Speed.

    Both of these Cameras are probably sensitive to high Trigger Voltages, I
    believe the safe Max for the Canon is 6 Volt. So you had better know the
    figure for the Studio Units, unless you have some sort of remote trigger.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Apr 19, 2006

  3. Guest

    thanks for your reply,
    i haven't handled any digital camera yet and is still on canon eos
    elan(film)
    so the confusion...

    if evf doesn't show actual preview (does not vary with aperture) how
    exposure is judged then or is it that lcd(on back) varies but evf
    maintain
    its brightness with shutter/aperture then how evf calculate optimum
    settings
    to know before hand that the shot is low key/high key etc. it will
    always show
    settings based on average readings and boost or surpress brightness.

    pls. confirm...
    regards,
    Mac
    , Apr 20, 2006
  4. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > thanks for your reply,
    > i haven't handled any digital camera yet and is still on canon eos
    > elan(film)
    > so the confusion...
    >
    > if evf doesn't show actual preview (does not vary with aperture) how
    > exposure is judged then or is it that lcd(on back) varies but evf
    > maintain
    > its brightness with shutter/aperture then how evf calculate optimum
    > settings
    > to know before hand that the shot is low key/high key etc. it will
    > always show
    > settings based on average readings and boost or surpress brightness.
    >
    > pls. confirm...
    > regards,
    > Mac

    As I said earlier the E V.F does not vary with the Exposure settings. It is
    exactly the same as with a Film Camera.

    EVF means Electronic View Finder. It is a View Finder, it is not part of
    the Metering system. The preview LCD will show exactly the same as the EVF.

    The information display on them, (just exactly like the info on an SLR's
    VF), will show the Metering System's read out, and perhaps remind you of
    how you have set the metering, Centre, Average or Matrix.

    On a few of them, it might show which highlights will be burnt out, at those
    exposure settings, but that is all.

    You really need to do a bit more research for yourself, before you buy any
    camera.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Apr 20, 2006