Everything to iPhone

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dave345, Dec 6, 2007.

  1. dave345

    dave345

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    60
    Lots of people have owned iPhone since more than five months ago, but many of them still have difficulties in putting music, videos and other resources on iPhone. I have been using my iPhone for quite a long time, and some tips below are what I have learned to put everything I can on my iPhone:

    1. Limewire music to iPhone
    2. YouTube video to iPhone
    3. Google videos to iPhone
    4. DVD/Video to iPhone
    5. Sync music and video to iPhone
    6. Set wallpaper for iPhone

    1. Put Limewire music to iPhone

    Limewire is a download tool I assume lots of us use. I often use it to download free music and videos and put them on my iPhone. If you don't have Limewire, you can download it from its official website http://www.limewire.com/

    Search and download songs from Limewire. You may get songs in all sorts of formats, but not all formats are supported by iPhone. Usually I select three formats: MP3, AAC and M4A formats that are supported by iPhone and can be directly transferred to iPhone using iTunes. For the detailed specs info, you can visit http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html . After you download the songs, open your iTunes, click "File" from the upper left corner, select "Add file to library", browse your computer hard drive and find the songs downloaded from Limewire, select the songs you prefer, click OK and the songs will be put in your iTunes. Then you can just transfer the songs to your iPhone from iTunes.

    2. YouTube video to iPhone

    I often visit YouTube to watch videos on iPhone and sometimes I download videos which cannot be found on iPhone from YouTube to put on my iPhone. YouTube videos are in FLV format, so I use a free online FLV converter to do the conversion:
    Firstly, go to YouTube and open the page of the video you want to put on your iPhone. And you will find the Youtube URL of this video to the right of the playback window. Then copy this URL. See the highlighted area in the figure below:

    [​IMG]

    Secondly, go to http://vixy.net/ , paste the copied URL into the URL field of this web page, and select “MP4 for iPod/PSP” from the “Converts to” drop-down list. (iPod Video could also be used on iPhone. This will save you a lot effort if you have many iPod videos.) Then click “Start” below this list to start the conversion. See the highlighted areas below:

    [​IMG]

    Finally, after the conversion, this website will provide a download link for you to download the converted MP4 file. When you see the link, you can just download the final file from the link, save the downloaded MP4 file on your computer and use iTunes to sync it on to your iPhone.

    Of course, if this online FLV converter fails to meet your needs, you can turn to Wondershare YouTube Downloader, which is also a pretty good YouTube FLV video converter. Specially designed for downloading and archiving YouTube video to computer and converting YouTube FLV video to other popular video formats for playback on iPhone, iPod, Apple TV, Zune, etc..., this YouTube Downloader is everything you need to easily download YouTube video from the Internet and enjoy YouTube video off the Internet.

    3. Google Videos on iPhone

    Because Google allows you to download (most) videos from their site in an iPhone compatible format, all you need to do is download that version of the video. To do this, pull up Google Video and search for a video as you normally would. When you actually get to the video, you're not going to see much. To play the video, click the little select list on the right and select "Video iPod/Sony PSP" and press "Done". Press download and the video will come up shortly. Simple, right?

    [​IMG]

    4. DVD/Video to iPhone

    I have a huge collection of DVD movies and video files. And I always put a few movies on my iPhone to kill time while I’m on the subway/bus.

    DVD movies cannot be transferred to iPhone via iTunes directly, so I had to find a converter to do that. I have used a few converters and the one I am using now is Wondershare DVD to iPhone Converter. It is not free, but not expensive either. I decided to spend the money coz it does a good job on the final quality and conversion speed. And if I don’t want to put a whole movie, I can just convert part of a movie onto my iPhone with this app. My OS is Windows, so I use the Windows version. If you are using a Mac OS, I have noticed that they have a Mac DVD to iPhone converter that you can try, which I don’t know if is as good because I don’t have Mac OS.

    [​IMG]

    Most of my video files are not MP4 formats that can be directly used on iPhone, so I also bought the iPhone Video Converter from the same company coz I thought it would also be nice app, and it turned out to be so great! Actually, this video converter and the DVD converter are pretty much the same as far as the functions and the operational steps are concerned, and the only difference to me is that one is to convert DVDs and the other is to convert video files. Meanwhile, these programs are all able to work for iPod and Apple TV; this will save you some bulks if you happen to have an iPhone or an Apple TV. If you also want a video to iPhone converter, you can just download a trial version to see if it is what you need. Unfortunately, they don’t have a Mac version for video converters.

    5. Sync music and videos to iPhone

    So far, using iTunes to sync files to iPhone is the only choice we can make. I use iTunes too but I have found it a bit clunky. So let me show how to sync music and videos.

    Select the audio/video files you want to sync from your iTunes library, drag them under "PLAYLISTS", and a new playlist will be created with all the selected files in it. Then you can click the Music menu tab, check the "Selected playlists" option, and select the newly created playlist to sync.

    If you want to remove the files, just uncheck the box and you will find the way.

    [​IMG]

    6. Set wallpaper for iPhone

    Assemble your wallpapers fit for iPhone in a folder. And connect it with your computer.
    In iTunes (PC or Mac) do the following:
    1. Click the Photos tab and select “Sync photos from:”
    2. From the pop-up menu, do the following:
    3. Choose the iPhone wallpapers folder, or whichever folder you have saved those wallpapers to.
    4. You can then choose “All photos,” or choose “Selected folders” or “Selected albums” and choose the folders or albums you want to sync.
    5. Then from your iPhone go to: Settings –> Wallpaper –> Photo Library and then choose which wallpaper you would like to set. That’s it!
    Note: These steps are also applicable for iPod touch.

    Here you can get a free resource website list which has free wallpapers fit for iPhone/iPod touch.

    Before customizing your iPod touch/iPhone's home screen with custom wallpapers or themes, you need to jailbreak the ipod touch/iphone first and install summerboard on it. However, it runs the risk of losing your warranty.

    The above is my experience with converting and transferring files from various sources to my iPhone, and I hope it can shed some light.

    dave345, Dec 6, 2007

  2. dave345

    dave345

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    60
    If you have questions or opinions with regard to this article, please feel free to post and share your wisdom here.
    Let's share our iPhone experience together.

    dave345, Dec 7, 2007

  3. dave345

    dave345

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    60
    who can tell me where to download free ringtones and how to set them for my iPhone? i am at a loss...

    dave345, Dec 14, 2007
  4. dave345

    dave345

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    60
    got it
    You can actually get free ringtones directly inside iTunes by just changing around a file extension. All officially purchased ringtones have the .M4R extension, so all you have to do is rename any AAC file to a M4R file to get it to show up in iTunes under Ringtones. Sync to your phone and you’re done.

    dave345, Dec 22, 2007
  5. dave345

    dave345

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    60
    Many people are confused about how to put PDF/MS office document on iPhone. In fact, it is so easy, as long as you get an email account. Email the files as attachment on your computer to your email account and retrieve it on iPhone, and you can see it anywhere.

    dave345, Dec 26, 2007
  6. dave345

    dave345

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    60
    Apple will release a firmware update to continue to "lock" iPhone, including those unlocked ones. And it will disable all third party applications that have already been installed onto iPhone, the widespread iPhone unlocking tools in use, and even the Jailbreak software, a must while installing third party applications.

    dave345, Jan 3, 2008
  7. dave345

    dave345

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    60
    dave345, Jan 11, 2008
  8. dave345

    danke

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    thanks!
    very pretty icons.
    but i have to hack my iphone to change.

    danke, Jan 15, 2008
  9. dave345

    dave345

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    60
    Good News

    Good News!
    iPhone Software Update 1.1.3 is available via iTunes 7.5 or later. After installing the update, iPhone customers will be able to automatically find their location using the redesigned Maps application; text message multiple people in one message; create Web Clips for their favorite websites; customize their home screen; and watch movies rented from the new iTunes Movie Rentals right on their iPhone.

    dave345, Jan 19, 2008
  10. dave345

    dave345

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    60
    Word is that Flash support is on its way to the iPhone and it should be coming very, very soon.
    And by then, YouTube won’t have had to convert a bunch of their catalog to H.264 in order for the service to be enjoyed on the iPhone.

    dave345, Feb 13, 2008
  11. dave345

    dave345

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    60
    Now you can send Word and PDF docs to an iPod touch or iPhone.
    One of the more useful Mac OS X utilities for interacting with the iPhone, iPhoneDrive, has been renamed “MegaPhone” and now includes the ability to send text files, PDFs, or Word files to the iPhone Notes application for reading and editing directly on the devices.

    dave345, Feb 22, 2008
  12. dave345

    jbuyers

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2009
    Messages:
    47
    thanks for the tips!!! very useful.

    jbuyers, Jun 22, 2009
  13. dave345

    nikzz15

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    Messages:
    3

    nikzz15, Jul 23, 2009
  14. dave345

    MichelleRuby

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2009
    Messages:
    9
    thanx for your sharing, it expand my knowledge about iphone

    MichelleRuby, Jul 29, 2009