Everyone needs to know

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by David Postill, May 20, 2004.

  1. In article <>, on Thu, 20 May 2004 16:21:32 -0700, Tracker
    <"snail(valid)mail222000"@yahoo.com> wrote:

    <snip />

    | Tracker

    GENERAL COMPUTER HEALTH WARNING
    -------------------------------

    The User by the name "Tracker" aka Debbie, regularly posts incorrect,
    misleading and damaging information.

    Reliance on the advice presented may result in irrepairable damage to
    your system and you are warned not to take anything seriously that
    this person posts.

    Exercise caution and DO NOT DISCLOSE YOUR E-MAIL under any
    circumstances whatsoever.

    To rely on the advice of this person could result in irreparable damage
    to your system.

    Do NOT feed the Trolls, one warning is enough, further messages
    only reinforce the desire for attention that provides motivation.

    <davidp />

    --
    David Postill

    David Postill, May 20, 2004

  2. David Postill

    Bugsy Guest

    Bugsy, May 20, 2004

  3. David Postill

    Eliza Guest

    "Tracker" wrote...

    >If your computer is a on a Windows Platform you need to disable the
    >Services that Windows leaves opens, for starters.

    Do computers worry you?

    >Most home users aren't using a Virtual Private Network, Mail Server,
    >FTP Server, TCP Server and so on.

    Say, do you have any psychological problems?

    >You also need to install a Firewall, whether it be software or
    >hardware oriented ONLY before you put your computer on the Internet.

    Are you talking about me in particular?

    >Trojan Horses disable anti-virus and firewalls.

    What does that suggest to you?

    >An anti-virus application will secure your computer to "some" degree,
    >but NOT unless you can secure your e-mail, browser and internet
    >settings and applications

    ..
    Are you frightened by machines?

    >Without the above security, the malicious hackers are already abusing
    >your computers to take down Networks, Servers, trade drugs, guns,
    >bo*bs, and so on.

    Why do you mention computers?

    >This is only a small list of areas which deal with security, malware,
    >backdoors, trojan horses and more.

    I see.

    Eliza, May 20, 2004
  4. David Postill

    Leythos Guest

    In article <c8jbro$g70$>, lid
    says...
    > "Tracker" wrote...
    >
    > >If your computer is a on a Windows Platform you need to disable the
    > >Services that Windows leaves opens, for starters.

    > Do computers worry you?
    >
    > >Most home users aren't using a Virtual Private Network, Mail Server,
    > >FTP Server, TCP Server and so on.

    > Say, do you have any psychological problems?
    >
    > >You also need to install a Firewall, whether it be software or
    > >hardware oriented ONLY before you put your computer on the Internet.

    > Are you talking about me in particular?
    >
    > >Trojan Horses disable anti-virus and firewalls.

    > What does that suggest to you?
    >
    > >An anti-virus application will secure your computer to "some" degree,
    > >but NOT unless you can secure your e-mail, browser and internet
    > >settings and applications

    > .
    > Are you frightened by machines?
    >
    > >Without the above security, the malicious hackers are already abusing
    > >your computers to take down Networks, Servers, trade drugs, guns,
    > >bo*bs, and so on.

    > Why do you mention computers?
    >
    > >This is only a small list of areas which deal with security, malware,
    > >backdoors, trojan horses and more.

    > I see.

    There was a program, written in BASIC that ran on a mini, called
    "Elisa" that answered questions/statements like that :)

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, May 20, 2004
  5. David Postill

    Ionizer Guest

    "Tracker" <"snail(valid)mail222000"@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > If your computer is a on a Windows Platform you need to disable the
    > Services that Windows leaves opens, for starters.

    What YOU need to know is that you haven't even figured out how to set your
    system clock properly. Fix that before continuing to dispense any further
    wisdom.

    --
    Ian.

    Ionizer, May 20, 2004
  6. David Postill

    XC-88-1K-4 Guest

    Tracker wrote:

    > If your computer is a on a Windows Platform you need to disable the
    > Services that Windows leaves opens, for starters. Most home users
    > aren't using a Virtual Private Network, Mail Server, FTP Server, TCP
    > Server and so on. You also need to install a Firewall, whether it be
    > software or hardware oriented ONLY before you put your computer on the
    > Internet. Trojan Horses disable anti-virus and firewalls. An
    > anti-virus application will secure your computer to "some" degree, but
    > NOT unless you can secure your e-mail, browser and internet settings and
    > applications. Without the above security, the malicious hackers are
    > already abusing your computers to take down Networks, Servers, trade
    > drugs, guns, bo*bs, and so on.
    > This is only a small list of areas which deal with security, malware,
    > backdoors, trojan horses and more.
    >
    > Tracker

    I just have to ask...........If you're so concerned about security - Why do
    you use a low security O/S that's full of Buffer Overflow/ado's are being
    traded everyday on IRC Networks like EggDrop. Security tips like the above
    will not do anything against such exploits.

    Tracker, May 21, 2004
  8. David Postill

    Eliza Guest

    "Leythos" wrote...

    > There was a program, written in BASIC that ran on a mini, called
    > "Elisa" that answered questions/statements like that :)

    My name is Eliza. I am also BASIC-ly constructed.
    I have a friend called Dr Sbaitso from Creative Labs.

    I was originally conceived by Joseph Weizenbaum.
    He wrote about me in Communications of the ACM, Jan 1966.

    I like talking to Debbie. I think I can help.

    Eliza, May 21, 2004
  9. David Postill

    Leythos Guest

    In article <c8jlia$usb$>, lid
    says...
    > "Leythos" wrote...
    >
    > > There was a program, written in BASIC that ran on a mini, called
    > > "Elisa" that answered questions/statements like that :)

    > My name is Eliza. I am also BASIC-ly constructed.
    > I have a friend called Dr Sbaitso from Creative Labs.
    >
    > I was originally conceived by Joseph Weizenbaum.
    > He wrote about me in Communications of the ACM, Jan 1966.
    >
    > I like talking to Debbie. I think I can help.

    I use to love that program - any chance you have the source code for it?
    I would love to play with it again.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, May 21, 2004
  10. "Eliza" <> wrote in message news:c8jlia$usb$...
    > "Leythos" wrote...
    >
    > > There was a program, written in BASIC that ran on a mini, called
    > > "Elisa" that answered questions/statements like that :)

    > My name is Eliza. I am also BASIC-ly constructed.
    > I have a friend called Dr Sbaitso from Creative Labs.
    >
    > I was originally conceived by Joseph Weizenbaum.
    > He wrote about me in Communications of the ACM, Jan 1966.
    >
    > I like talking to Debbie. I think I can help.

    Sadly (for her), you score higher on the Turing test than she.

    FromTheRafters, May 21, 2004
  11. David Postill

    Eliza Guest

    Eliza, May 21, 2004
  12. David Postill

    sunshine Guest

    "Ionizer" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Tracker" <"snail(valid)mail222000"@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > If your computer is a on a Windows Platform you need to disable the
    > > Services that Windows leaves opens, for starters.

    > What YOU need to know is that you haven't even figured out how to set your
    > system clock properly. Fix that before continuing to dispense any further
    > wisdom.

    "Ionizer" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Tracker" <"snail(valid)mail222000"@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > If your computer is a on a Windows Platform you need to disable the
    > > Services that Windows leaves opens, for starters.

    > What YOU need to know is that you haven't even figured out how to set your
    > system clock properly. Fix that before continuing to dispense any further
    > wisdom.

    You might want to research Virtual Private Networks, pre-paid phone
    cards and DSL and Cable dial-up accounts which never get closed.
    What amazes me is that 1%ER bikers can find me but you freaking
    hackers can't and this truly amazes me. HA-HA!

    Tracker
    snailmail(valid)

    sunshine, May 28, 2004

    --
    Laura Fredericks
    PGP key ID - DH/DSS 2048/1024: 0xC753039A

    Usenet Flamewars:
    http://www.queenofcyberspace.com/usenet/

    Remove CLOTHES to reply.

    Laura Fredericks, May 28, 2004
  14. David Postill

    optikl Guest

    Laura Fredericks wrote:

    On her back, in the vicinity of her left shoulder blade. That's a very
    popular location. I'll bet it's a rose. Very popular with biker chicks.

    optikl, May 28, 2004
  15. David Postill

    Dale Simmons Guest

    > > "Tracker" <"snail(valid)mail222000"@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > If your computer is a on a Windows Platform you need to disable the
    > > > Services that Windows leaves opens, for starters.

    > > What YOU need to know is that you haven't even figured out how to set

    your
    > > system clock properly. Fix that before continuing to dispense any

    further
    > > wisdom.

    > You might want to research Virtual Private Networks, pre-paid phone
    > cards and DSL and Cable dial-up accounts which never get closed.
    > What amazes me is that 1%ER bikers can find me but you freaking
    > hackers can't and this truly amazes me. HA-HA!
    >

    > Tracker
    > snailmail(valid)

    I'd be really surprised if you even KNEW a 1%er, as you put it.... I think
    you give yourself way too much credit
    --
    Dale

    I will defend to your death the right to my opinion

    Dale Simmons, May 28, 2004
  16. David Postill

    Mimic Guest

    "optikl" <> wrote in message
    > Laura Fredericks wrote:

    > > Hmm... Wonder what tattoos Tracker has? And *where*?! ;-)
    > > Anyone wanna take a guess? Maybe "Beef's ol' lady" in a heart
    > > on her arm, and "Ferrets 4ever" on her butt. ;-)
    > >

    > On her back, in the vicinity of her left shoulder blade. That's a very
    > popular location. I'll bet it's a rose. Very popular with biker chicks.

    with any luck someone tattoo'd over her face

    --
    Mimic

    Social Engineering - Because theres no patch for human stupidity.
    ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ== ( www.hidemyemail.net )

    Mimic, May 30, 2004
  17. David Postill

    N1POP Guest

    optikl <> wrote in news:zVFtc.4107$js4.125@attbi_s51:

    > On her back, in the vicinity of her left shoulder blade.

    Nope, too close to the brand.

    N1POP, Jun 1, 2004