    I really don't appreciate Apple's software hijacking my system this
    way!

    -ChrisCoaster
    ChrisCoaster, Sep 3, 2011

  2. ChrisCoaster

    Paul Guest

    ChrisCoaster wrote:
    > ....When I click on a link to play audio, I get the following message
    > from QuickTime: " Some of the MIME types previously associated with
    > the QT plugin are currently assoc with ...... shall I restore ... to
    > QT? " Yes NO. I click no, and Quicktime opens a second internet
    > explorer browser and plays it.
    >
    > Where do I go to set Windows Media Player to play mp3 audio links as
    > it has for the past 3 years up until I installed iTunes and my iPod
    > Touch?
    >
    > I really don't appreciate Apple's software hijacking my system this
    > way!
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster

    Did you look in your Control Panels ?

    There could be a QuickTime control panel in there, and it has some
    file associations. I'm pretty sure, when installing QuickTime in
    the past, I denied it permission to grab any associations (as I'd prefer
    to just load the QuickTime player, if I really needed it). But checking
    now, in a Win2K install, the QuickTime control panel shows it has grabbed
    a fair number of associations anyway.

    iTunes is an "ecosystem" rather than a program, so expect
    collateral damage when you install it.

    Paul
    Paul, Sep 3, 2011

  3. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Sep 3, 2:48 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > ChrisCoaster wrote:
    > > ....When I click on a link to play audio, I get the following message
    > > from QuickTime:  "  Some of the MIME types previously associated with
    > > the QT plugin are currently assoc with ...... shall I restore ... to
    > > QT? "  Yes NO.  I click no, and Quicktime opens a second internet
    > > explorer browser and plays it.

    > > Where do I go to set Windows Media Player to play mp3 audio links as
    > > it has for the past 3 years up until I installed iTunes and my iPod
    > > Touch?

    > > I really don't appreciate Apple's software hijacking my system this
    > > way!

    > > -ChrisCoaster

    > Did you look in your Control Panels ?
    >
    > There could be a QuickTime control panel in there, and it has some
    > file associations. I'm pretty sure, when installing QuickTime in
    > the past, I denied it permission to grab any associations (as I'd prefer
    > to just load the QuickTime player, if I really needed it). But checking
    > now, in a Win2K install, the QuickTime control panel shows it has grabbed
    > a fair number of associations anyway.
    >
    > iTunes is an "ecosystem" rather than a program, so expect
    > collateral damage when you install it.
    >
    >     Paul

    Dude, you should start your own podcast! LOL. Seriously. actually
    Paul I went to Internet Explorer Tools>Manage Addons> and disabled the
    Apple Quicktime one. I went to a known mp3 site, clicked on a MP3
    Link. It asked me if I wanted to open or download, I clicked open, and
    WMP11 opened and played it just fine. It has not asked me again
    since.

    Thanks for the explanation Paul.

    -CC
    ChrisCoaster, Sep 3, 2011