Ever been to a 'traditional' computer auction?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Canon Paora Tikitiki, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. How was it? Bargains or too many people willing to pay over the top
    prices?
    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Jul 26, 2005

  2. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    XPD Guest

    "Canon Paora Tikitiki" <> wrote in message

    > How was it? Bargains or too many people willing to pay over the top
    > prices?

    Went to one about 4 years ago.... was some good deals... altho the
    auctioneer fudged up one lot... He sold an Imac for $400 or something, then
    discovered it was actually for a bunch of 10 Imacs :) So some lucky sod had
    10 IMacs for $400 odd :)
    XPD, Jul 26, 2005

  3. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    H.O.G Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 06:38:01 GMT, (Canon Paora
    Tikitiki) spoke these fine words:

    >How was it? Bargains or too many people willing to pay over the top
    >prices?

    Pretty much both. Excellent if you know what you're looking at,
    ridiculous for those that don't.
    H.O.G, Jul 26, 2005
  4. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    S Roby Guest

    Last PC auction I went to 90% of the stuff(boards, ram, chips etc) had fault
    tags & the auctioneer said all was good/working condition.
    S Roby, Jul 26, 2005
  5. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Mercury Guest

    Yip. Walked in. Crap.Walked out.

    Mercury, Jul 26, 2005
  6. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    JohnO Guest

    Anything recognisabe to the masses such as a bog standard PC will
    generally be way overpriced - often approaching retail on current
    models.

    It's even worse for ex lease and company liquidation pcs that are a few
    years old. They are worth next to nothing but generally fetch
    ridiculous prices.

    OTOH more unusual or arcane items often go for an absolute steal. I'm
    talking storage devices, backup units, high end network devices etc.
    JohnO, Jul 26, 2005
  7. "Canon Paora Tikitiki" <> wrote in message

    > How was it? Bargains or too many people willing to pay over the top
    > prices?

    I went to one at the Auck showgrounds some 10 years ago. It was a joke,
    people were paying 'new' prices for 2nd hand stuff. But, that was just when
    the internet was newish and everyone wanted a pc.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Jul 27, 2005