Event id 1003 problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by marow, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. marow

    marow Guest

    I installed WinXP on my computer. The problem is that computer reset
    itself. When WInXP
    finishes loading computer reset itself without any warnings. I try to
    reinstall system,
    it helped a little but computer still reset itself. However in two cases
    OS wrote
    info to system log :
    1. playing Call of Duty, game hanged, and computer reset itself
    event id 1003, error code :0000004e
    2. playing NFS, game hanged, but computer didn't reset itself
    event id 1003, error code : 1000008e

    Mainboard : Via P4M266A - 8235, VT8751 -> driver version 14.53
    Video card £ ATI Radeon 9250 -> driver version ATI Catalyst 4.8 08/11/04
    FSB 133MHz; DDR 166Mhz (PC2700) - 256MB
    Nothing connected to USB, or other ports.

    I will be gratefull for any help...

    marow, Sep 27, 2004

  2. marow

    Bradley26 Guest

    "marow" <> wrote in message
    > I installed WinXP on my computer. The problem is that computer reset
    > itself.

    "the problem is the computer resets"

    1. is your copy of Microsoft Windows XP a good, legal copy? There are
    anti-piracy hooks built in that will not give you any warning and just make
    it impossible to use.

    2. Assuming the XP install is legal, the next likely problems are either
    system memory or the disk drive

    as the operating system runs, its doing many tasks where parts of a program
    are put aside and used later. when it uses a task later, and finds the
    wrong task in the right spot? it will crash like this; or if the data is
    just corrupt, it will crash.

    disk drives, as they fail seem to pause, so windows locks up, then goes on
    or crashes

    system memory is instant, it fails and who knows what happens

    there is no easy fix, this kind of thing keeps computer repair shops in
    business. try changing system memory or moving it, and if there is another
    disk, try using that

    Bradley26, Sep 28, 2004

  3. marow

    Thor Guest

    "Bradley26" <> wrote in message

    > "marow" <> wrote in message
    >> I installed WinXP on my computer. The problem is that computer reset
    >> itself.

    > "the problem is the computer resets"
    >
    > 1. is your copy of Microsoft Windows XP a good, legal copy? There are
    > anti-piracy hooks built in that will not give you any warning and just
    > make
    > it impossible to use.

    The only anti-piracy feature that will prevent you from using XP is the
    product activation, and there is ample explanation given to the user for it,
    should it be invoked. There is no situation where XP will cease working or
    reset with no explanation due to anti-piracy features.

    > 2. Assuming the XP install is legal, the next likely problems are either
    > system memory or the disk drive
    >
    > as the operating system runs, its doing many tasks where parts of a
    > program
    > are put aside and used later. when it uses a task later, and finds the
    > wrong task in the right spot?

    ???

    > there is no easy fix, this kind of thing keeps computer repair shops in
    > business.

    got a problem with that?

    Thor, Sep 28, 2004
  4. marow

    Bradley26 Guest

    > > 1. is your copy of Microsoft Windows XP a good, legal copy? There are
    > > anti-piracy hooks built in that will not give you any warning and just
    > > make
    > > it impossible to use.

    > The only anti-piracy feature that will prevent you from using XP is the
    > product activation, and there is ample explanation given to the user for

    it,
    > should it be invoked. There is no situation where XP will cease working or
    > reset with no explanation due to anti-piracy features.

    are you sure about that? what if I found one or two?

    > > 2. Assuming the XP install is legal, the next likely problems are

    either
    > > system memory or the disk drive
    > >
    > > as the operating system runs, its doing many tasks where parts of a
    > > program
    > > are put aside and used later. when it uses a task later, and finds the
    > > wrong task in the right spot?

    > ???

    the windows memory manager is complex

    > > there is no easy fix, this kind of thing keeps computer repair shops in
    > > business.

    > got a problem with that?

    I dont know, maybe I do now. maybe Ill have to open my own repair shop

    Bradley26, Sep 28, 2004
  5. marow

    Thor Guest

    "Bradley26" <> wrote in message

    >> > 1. is your copy of Microsoft Windows XP a good, legal copy? There are
    >> > anti-piracy hooks built in that will not give you any warning and just
    >> > make
    >> > it impossible to use.

    >> The only anti-piracy feature that will prevent you from using XP is the
    >> product activation, and there is ample explanation given to the user for

    > it,
    >> should it be invoked. There is no situation where XP will cease working
    >> or
    >> reset with no explanation due to anti-piracy features.

    > are you sure about that? what if I found one or two?

    Quite sure, but you're welcome to try and point out where I'm incorrect. Be
    very detailed. I won't accept supposition.

    > the windows memory manager is complex

    No shit, but it doesn't misplace "tasks".

    Thor, Sep 28, 2004
  6. marow

    Bradley26 Guest

    There is no situation where XP will cease working
    > >> or
    > >> reset with no explanation due to anti-piracy features.

    > > are you sure about that? what if I found one or two?

    > Quite sure, but you're welcome to try and point out where I'm incorrect.

    Be
    > very detailed. I won't accept supposition.

    Semantics, but anti-piracy and security are similar. XP has increased
    security features over any other Windows OS that seek to restrict bad code

    SAFER is one of them,
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secmgmt/security/safer.asp

    these are not available to win2000 or other versions. The inner workings of
    XP are geared with more security features in mind, because of the hacks.

    So while there is a stronger security, what happens when some exception is
    caught? millions of possible iterations. When bad code is encountered, XP
    may react by resetting.

    > > the windows memory manager is complex

    > No @#$t, but it doesn't misplace "tasks".

    do a control/shift/escape, click processes, view, columns, add the page
    faults. if there is even 1 or more page faults, isnt that because of
    misplacing tasks?

    but if the system memory fails?

    as the OS runs its switching between programs all over the place. the
    location of the programs are stored in a table(s), if an entry gets corrupt,
    due to bad memory, lots of things can happen in the fault

    if the disk croaks or has internal issues, it will not assert the READY
    status and the IDE controller can hold everything up, the system appears to
    freeze. when it comes out of that, depending on how the memory image is
    moved in/out of the disk, it could be corrupt, then when the system gets to
    the first bad entry? blue screen or the memory dump thing

    Bradley26, Sep 29, 2004
  7. marow

    Thor Guest

    "Bradley26" <> wrote in message
    > There is no situation where XP will cease working
    >> >

    >> > are you sure about that? what if I found one or two?

    >> Quite sure, but you're welcome to try and point out where I'm incorrect.

    > Be
    >> very detailed. I won't accept supposition.

    > Semantics, but anti-piracy and security are similar. XP has increased
    > security features over any other Windows OS that seek to restrict bad code
    >
    > SAFER is one of them,
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secmgmt/security/safer.asp
    >
    > these are not available to win2000 or other versions. The inner workings
    > of
    > XP are geared with more security features in mind, because of the hacks.
    >
    > So while there is a stronger security, what happens when some exception
    > is
    > caught? millions of possible iterations. When bad code is encountered, XP
    > may react by resetting.

    If it does, it's a bug, an anomaly, a result of bad programming corrupted
    data or faulty hardware, not normal or intentional operation. You are
    speaking of a malfunction, not a designed-in security feature. XP has no
    security features that disable the OS without warning and explanation. You
    implied in your first reply to the OP that anti-piracy features could kick
    in and disable the OS as a result of using a pirated copy. You implied an
    intentional act on the part of the OS, not a malfunction brought about by
    faulty/corrupt code or bad hardware. Even so, it's still highly unlikely
    that even a hardware or software fault would result in the anti-piracy
    features of XP being the cause of a spontaneous reboot problem. Much more
    likely would be just a catastrophic instability induced in the core
    components of the OS, not the anti-piracy components.

    > do a control/shift/escape, click processes, view, columns, add the page
    > faults. if there is even 1 or more page faults, isnt that because of
    > misplacing tasks?

    No. A page fault isn't a misplaced "task". A task is a running program. A
    page fault is when the memory management system loses track of bit of paged
    data. The task itself is still an active program, still known to the system.
    The system doesn't misplace the task. The system is well aware that the task
    is running, and when the bit of data that the running task requires is
    misplaced in a paging fault, that's when the error occurs, usually crashing
    the task or program as a result. The task wasn't misplaced. The working data
    it relied upon was temporarily unable to be located in the place it was
    expected to be.

    > but if the system memory fails?
    >
    > as the OS runs its switching between programs all over the place. the
    > location of the programs are stored in a table(s), if an entry gets
    > corrupt,
    > due to bad memory, lots of things can happen in the fault
    >
    > if the disk croaks or has internal issues, it will not assert the READY
    > status and the IDE controller can hold everything up, the system appears
    > freeze. when it comes out of that, depending on how the memory image is
    > moved in/out of the disk, it could be corrupt, then when the system gets
    > the first bad entry? blue screen or the memory dump thing

    You are describing catastrophic failures that have nothing to do with the
    memory management system itself. Sure, if the drive croaks, a block of
    memory addresses goes bad, etc. many negative things can happen, but it's
    not due to the memory management system "misplacing" tasks, as if it is some
    senile old man looking for his lost wallet. Perhaps the problem is with your
    terminology here. A memory operation failure or virtual memory manager fault
    would be a more appropriate way to descibe the problems you are hinting at.

    Thor, Sep 30, 2004
  8. marow

    Bradley26 Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Bradley26" <> wrote in message
    > > There is no situation where XP will cease working

    > >> Quite sure, but you're welcome to try and point out where I'm

    incorrect.
    > > Be
    > >> very detailed. I won't accept supposition.

    > > Semantics, but anti-piracy and security are similar. XP has increased
    > > security features over any other Windows OS that seek to restrict bad

    code

    > > SAFER is one of them,

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secmgmt/security/safer.asp

    > > these are not available to win2000 or other versions. The inner

    workings
    > > of
    > > XP are geared with more security features in mind, because of the hacks.
    > >
    > > So while there is a stronger security, what happens when some exception
    > > is
    > > caught? millions of possible iterations. When bad code is encountered,

    XP
    > > may react by resetting.

    > If it does, it's a bug, an anomaly, a result of bad programming corrupted
    > data or faulty hardware, not normal or intentional operation. You are
    > speaking of a malfunction, not a designed-in security feature. XP has no
    > security features that disable the OS without warning and explanation. You
    > implied in your first reply to the OP that anti-piracy features could kick
    > in and disable the OS as a result of using a pirated copy. You implied an
    > intentional act on the part of the OS, not a malfunction brought about by
    > faulty/corrupt code or bad hardware. Even so, it's still highly unlikely
    > that even a hardware or software fault would result in the anti-piracy
    > features of XP being the cause of a spontaneous reboot problem. Much more
    > likely would be just a catastrophic instability induced in the core
    > components of the OS, not the anti-piracy components.

    right, so if the guy has a pirated install with improperly installed parts
    of windows, the higher security thing will make the os fail

    there is the product ID for the activation, but most every nugget of
    software code in windows has a PID to make sure it will run properly.
    Device drivers also get checked harder, but Microsoft makes better tools for
    developers to pre test software

    one of my disks has an XP install thats got a corrupted file and all it does
    is reboot endlessly. I bought the XP at BestBuy

    > > do a control/shift/escape, click processes, view, columns, add the page
    > > faults. if there is even 1 or more page faults, isnt that because of
    > > misplacing tasks?

    > No. A page fault isn't a misplaced "task". A task is a running program.

    A page fault is when the memory management system loses track of bit of
    paged data.

    The task itself is still an active program, still known to the system. >
    The system doesn't misplace the task. The system is well aware that the task
    is running, and when the bit of data that the running task requires is
    misplaced in a paging fault, that's when the error occurs, usually crashing
    the task or program as a result.

    The task wasn't misplaced. The working data it relied upon was temporarily
    unable to be located in the place it was expected to be.

    you could have said the data was misplaced, not the task

    IOW, youre saying no page fault is ever caused by the memory manager losing
    the task handle, only some data the task is using.

    okay now I know

    Bradley26, Sep 30, 2004
  9. marow

    Thor Guest

    >> If it does, it's a bug, an anomaly, a result of bad programming
    >> corrupted
    >> data or faulty hardware, not normal or intentional operation. You are
    >> speaking of a malfunction, not a designed-in security feature. XP has no
    >> security features that disable the OS without warning and explanation.
    >> You
    >> implied in your first reply to the OP that anti-piracy features could
    >> kick
    >> in and disable the OS as a result of using a pirated copy. You implied an
    >> intentional act on the part of the OS, not a malfunction brought about by
    >> faulty/corrupt code or bad hardware. Even so, it's still highly unlikely
    >> that even a hardware or software fault would result in the anti-piracy
    >> features of XP being the cause of a spontaneous reboot problem. Much more
    >> likely would be just a catastrophic instability induced in the core
    >> components of the OS, not the anti-piracy components.
    >>

    > right, so if the guy has a pirated install with improperly installed parts
    > of windows, the higher security thing will make the os fail

    I cannot rule that completely out of the realm of possibility, simply
    because there are so many components involved in running XP, many things are
    possible when software is malfunctioning, in any part of XP, and it is
    difficult to predict every possible outcome of a negative event unless you
    are on the level of the windows programmers, who can dissect every stage of
    the event, and therfore clearly understand how it impacts every other
    subsystem in windows. All I can say is from personal experience, and
    observation, as well as to the level of understanding I have of the
    anti-piracy functions in XP, the types of symptoms discussed here aren't
    likely to be caused or involved with the anti-piracy features of XP. I do
    not believe the anti-piracy features even come into play in most of these
    instances. Namely because windows 2000 lacks many of the newer and elaborate
    anti-piracy features that XP has, and yet it tends to be taken down in the
    same fashion, and by the same kinds of problems, presenting the same kinds
    fo symptoms as XP. Why? It shares so much in common in terms of the core
    operating system, and that is what is being affected the most by the types
    of issues being discussed, not anti-piracy features.

    > there is the product ID for the activation, but most every nugget of
    > software code in windows has a PID to make sure it will run properly.

    I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. You imply that every bit of code
    in XP has some anti-piracy factor built-in, and that is simply not true.

    > Device drivers also get checked harder, but Microsoft makes better tools
    > for
    > developers to pre test software

    The device driver check has nothing to do with anti-piracy, and everything
    to do with maintaining system stability with adequately pre-tested drivers.

    > one of my disks has an XP install thats got a corrupted file and all it
    > does
    > is reboot endlessly. I bought the XP at BestBuy

    Unless you clearly understand what the file is, and what role it has in
    causing the problem, you simply cannot blame the issue on some kind of
    problem with anti-piracy code. I think your ideas rely heavily on a very
    vague understanding of what the anti-piracy components of XP truly are, and
    how much they actually interact with day to day windows operation. As I
    understand XP anti-piracy features, they aren't nearly as involved in every
    bit of XP as you seem to imply.

    Thor, Oct 1, 2004
  10. marow

    Bradley26 Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > I cannot rule that completely out of the realm of possibility, simply
    > because there are so many components involved in running XP, many things

    are
    > possible when software is malfunctioning, in any part of XP, and it is
    > difficult to predict every possible outcome of a negative event unless you
    > are on the level of the windows programmers, who can dissect every stage

    of
    > the event, and therfore clearly understand how it impacts every other
    > subsystem in windows.

    bingo. I am both a hardware and software developer. My favorite platform
    in Windows, favorite language is C sharp, but I do MFC, Visual basic and
    c/cpp and dot net.

    many windows developers still do not understand all the workings of windows,
    many hardware folks dont understand all hardware things, computer repair
    folks also learn new things. As you approach a problem and study and solve
    it, it adds to understanding. its like that in many things.

    the product ID feature is one reason windows is better than linux, Im not
    exaggerating

    when you develop code, there is what you want to happen, then your exception
    handler. in WinXP they ramped up security.

    but as for anti piracy, thats a broad term, Im actually very distracted
    tonight with the presidential debates and stuff, Im sick from listening to
    Kerry and just dont feel well, it made me sick to listen to him, so Ill
    check back later

    Bradley26, Oct 1, 2004