Event Horizon SE

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by nosf3ratu, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. nosf3ratu

    nosf3ratu Guest

    nosf3ratu, Feb 26, 2004

  2. nosf3ratu

    Wade365 Guest

    Of course they're puting out the uber-version... they have my money for the
    first DVD version already!

    Ah well... I like this movie a lot... it makes me genuinely uncomfortable which
    I can't say for all horror movies these days!
    Wade365, Feb 26, 2004

  3. nosf3ratu

    CLOSEDOWN8 Guest

    >Ah well... I like this movie a lot... it makes me genuinely uncomfortable
    >which
    >I can't say for all horror movies these days!

    The fact that Paul WS Anderson still manages to find work in the entertainment
    industry makes me genuinely uncomfortable.
    --------------------------------
    "That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi
    CLOSEDOWN8, Feb 26, 2004
  4. nosf3ratu

    profft Guest

    Yeah but you only paid $9.99 for it 2 years ago

    profft, Feb 26, 2004
  5. nosf3ratu

    Wade365 Guest

    This was completely expected (the new version), and I didn't mean to sound like
    I was REALLY whining about it... guess I shoulda put one o' them smiley face
    thing-ies on the end of it to denote my wry attempt at humor...

    .... and I believe it was $5.88 at the Wal-E-World cut-out bin...

    .... two years ago...

    .... heh.
    Wade365, Feb 26, 2004
  6. nosf3ratu

    profft Guest

    Actually it's one of my favorites, in fact they left the door open for
    sequel sinse the EH used the gravity drive and was not destroyed by the
    destruction of the cooridor.

    profft, Feb 27, 2004
  7. nosf3ratu

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    mbleek (CLOSEDOWN8) wrote:

    > The fact that Paul WS Anderson still manages to find work in the entertainment
    > industry makes me genuinely uncomfortable.

    This lame ass unwarranted hatred of Paul Anderson is nothing more than a
    fad that was started by a few bitter individuals who could never accept
    the fact that George Romero lost the Resident Evil gig to Paul Anderson.
    Now it's grown way out of proportion. Get off the bandwagon.

    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Feb 27, 2004
  8. nosf3ratu

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Black Locust" <> wrote in message
    > This lame ass unwarranted hatred of Paul Anderson is nothing more than

    > fad that was started by a few bitter individuals who could never

    accept
    > the fact that George Romero lost the Resident Evil gig to Paul

    Anderson.

    Well, there's also the fact that all of Anderson's pre-Resident Evil
    movies completely and totally sucked. That might have a little something
    to do with it.
    Joshua Zyber, Feb 27, 2004
  9. nosf3ratu

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <XEA%b.22250$>,
    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:

    > Well, there's also the fact that all of Anderson's pre-Resident Evil
    > movies completely and totally sucked. That might have a little something
    > to do with it.

    Event Horizon is an amazingly disturbing and creepy little movie.
    Apparently it's popular enough to warrant a Special Edition release.
    Even Mortal Kombat is pretty good for what it is. If you wanna see just
    how truly bad a Mortal Kombat movie can be in less capable hands, watch
    Mortal Kombat Annihilation. Enough said.
    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Feb 27, 2004
  10. nosf3ratu

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Black Locust <> wrote:

    > Event Horizon is an amazingly disturbing and creepy little movie.

    The "Hell Jump" scene is about on a par with the "RIng Tape" playback in
    "The Ring". Other than that, I have scarier things in the back of my
    fridge than anything else in "Event Horizon".
    Peter Briggs, Feb 27, 2004
  11. On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 06:43:08 GMT, "nosf3ratu" <>
    wrote:

    > ...coming october 11th (hope so), finally !

    Man, a stinker of a movie though. I wonder what the SE will add
    substantively to the film.
    Hitman of Las Vegas, Feb 27, 2004
  12. nosf3ratu

    Larry Guest

    In article <1g9thn9.10r4cq324p3tyN%pete@DIESPAMDIE!
    cinescribe.demon.co.uk>, pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk
    says...
    > The "Hell Jump" scene is about on a par with the "RIng Tape" playback in
    > "The Ring". Other than that, I have scarier things in the back of my
    > fridge than anything else in "Event Horizon".

    I've got scarier stuff right on the door shelves of my fridge...

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Feb 27, 2004
  13. nosf3ratu

    Wade365 Guest

    << Man, a stinker of a movie though. >><BR><BR>

    Opinion, you'll admit... I'm sure t here are films in your collection the rest
    of us would call crap too...

    << I wonder what the SE will add
    substantively to the film. >><BR><BR>

    A 16:9 ratio, for one... commentary by Anderson for another.

    So the hatred of Paul Anderson is over Romero's dropping "Resident Evil" in his
    lap, huh? Grow up. I love King George but the readers of Fangoria magazine (all
    fifteen of us) have gotta take a 'lude.

    PS - I'll Probably take some shit for saying this, but I had a great time
    stuffing popcorn in my mouth when "Mortal Kombat" came out... I had been
    playing the game a bunch in the years before it came out and it was a lot of
    fun... same with RE... these films were never INTENDED as cinematic
    experiences, they were intended to swipe your money and a bit of your time in
    exchange for a thrill ride.

    Stop looking for "Citizen Kane" when you line up/ sit down to watch a film like
    this (please don't tell me you couldn't see the truth before you got into the
    theater, either - you KNOW it's crap) and you'll find you enjoy it more... just
    don't look with such a serious eye.
    Wade365, Feb 28, 2004
  14. nosf3ratu

    CLOSEDOWN8 Guest

    >So the hatred of Paul Anderson is over Romero's dropping "Resident Evil" in
    >hislap, huh?

    No. My hatred of Paul WS Anderson is over the fact that his movies are
    completely uninteresting and un-entertaining to me. I was willing to just
    avoid the guy's work until he landed the gig directing "Alien vs. Predator", a
    movie I've been waiting for for years, a movie with a concept that could be
    great if it were in the right hands, which it most certainly isn't. Anderson
    will prove all the "Alien vs. Predator" naysayers right.

    >Grow up. I love King George but the readers of Fangoria magazine (allfifteen
    >of us) have gotta take a 'lude

    Yeah, Fangoria is practically a 'zine, with it's nationwide distrubution at
    Barnes & Noble and Waldenbooks.

    >PS - I'll Probably take some shit for saying this, but I had a great
    >timestuffing popcorn in my mouth when "Mortal Kombat" came out...

    I did, too, but I was only 13 for a year, and I eventually realized what a
    crapfest it was.

    > I had beenplaying the game a bunch in the years before it came out and it
    >was a lot offun... same with RE... these films were never INTENDED as
    >cinematicexperiences, they were intended to swipe your money and a bit of
    >your time inexchange for a thrill ride.

    And at that they failed. None of his movies are entertaining, they're just
    bad, and not in any sort of enjoyable Ed Wood kind of way. The guy makes
    movies that are maligned by filmgoers and critics alike and his movies don't
    really make money (Mortal Kombat was the only one to actually make a decent
    profit) so I have to seriously ask: why does this guy keep getting work in the
    entertainment industry? How does he get the job directing "Alien vs.
    Predator", which has been in development hell for over a decade, when
    "Soldier", "Event Horizon" and "Resident Evil" were all box-office
    disappointments? What film exec says "I know who we'll get to turn this
    project around: the guy who directed that made-for-cable 'Sixth Sense" ripoff
    with Andrew McCarthy"?

    >Stop looking for "Citizen Kane" when you line up/ sit down to watch a film
    >likethis (please don't tell me you couldn't see the truth before you got into
    >thetheater, either - you KNOW it's crap)

    Get this: I had heard many bad things about "Resident Evil" before I watched it
    but my friend recommended it to me. I watched it with one expectation: to be
    entertained. I wasn't expecting "Citizen Kane", I was expecting a fun horror
    movie, and "Resident Evil" was not it. In fact, it was, literally, the single
    most unenjoyable moviegoing experience of my entire life. At the time I knew
    he directed "Mortal Kombat" and I had seen his other trainwrecks over the years
    but I had never paid any mind to who directed them. Still, when I found out, I
    was happy to just ignore the guy's body of work and treat it as some mysterious
    cinematic oddity, but now that he's at the helm of one of my dream projects I
    have to acknowledge his complete lack of talent.

    >and you'll find you enjoy it more... justdon't look with such a serious eye.

    OK, I'll try to approach movies with the mentality of a Wal-Mart shopper from
    this point on.
    --------------------------------
    "That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi
    CLOSEDOWN8, Feb 28, 2004
  15. On 28 Feb 2004 07:06:12 GMT, (Wade365) wrote:

    ><< Man, a stinker of a movie though. >><BR><BR>
    >
    >Opinion, you'll admit... I'm sure t here are films in your collection the rest
    >of us would call crap too...

    Of course its my opinion - whose opinion would it be? Everyones taste
    is different, but I have a lot of company in not responding to Event
    Horizon. IMDB fans rate it a 5.6 out of 10, and the $60million film
    barely made $ 27million in its US release. While I don't suggest that
    is the final word on the quality of the film, it does demonstrate that
    quite a few folks find the film average or worse, and it was fairly
    stilborn at the box office.

    ><< I wonder what the SE will add
    >substantively to the film. >><BR><BR>
    >
    >A 16:9 ratio, for one... commentary by Anderson for another.

    Neither improve the film substantively - I meant as in a different
    edit that might make the film better or at least coherent.

    I thought the film was poorly made, with a pretty rough script. That
    being said, 'Supernova' made it look awesome in comparison. I think I
    saw both films at The Chinese Theater in LA - I have rotten luck at
    the Chinese Theater: Lethal Weapon 4, Supernova, Event Horizon, and
    some other lame films.

    >So the hatred of Paul Anderson is over Romero's dropping "Resident Evil" in his
    >lap, huh? Grow up. I love King George but the readers of Fangoria magazine (all
    >fifteen of us) have gotta take a 'lude.

    What in the world does this have to do my observation? I never
    mentioned Paul Anderson, George Romero, Resident Evil, or Fangoria
    magazine. You lost me here, sorry.

    >PS - I'll Probably take some shit for saying this, but I had a great time
    >stuffing popcorn in my mouth when "Mortal Kombat" came out...

    Did you have fun stuffing your mouth with popcorn, or did you like the
    movie? How did MK on screen contribute to your enjoyment of the
    popcorn? I admit I didn't have popcorn, but I saw MK1 in the theaters
    and enjoyed it a lot too. It was a fun movie. MK2 was awful though.

    >I had been
    >playing the game a bunch in the years before it came out and it was a lot of
    >fun...

    I played the game on occasion. It was good.

    >same with RE...

    I missed RE.

    >these films were never INTENDED as cinematic
    >experiences, they were intended to swipe your money and a bit of your time in
    >exchange for a thrill ride.

    On a broad level, I suppose every film is intended to swipe your money
    and time in exchange for an entertainment experience.

    The only problem was that Event Horizon was not entertaining.

    >Stop looking for "Citizen Kane" when you line up/ sit down to watch a film like
    >this (please don't tell me you couldn't see the truth before you got into the
    >theater, either - you KNOW it's crap) and you'll find you enjoy it more...

    You are right, but I never suggested I was looking for a Citizen Kane.
    Again, I don't know where that came from, so I think your observation
    is misplaced.

    As for what is or isn't crap, it's sometimes hard to tell before you
    watch the film. I think the expectation that the film is well
    written, with good production values, good acting, and skilled
    directing (and again, not exemplary writing, production values,
    acting, or direction) is reasonable. The spectrum is wide and broad -
    a film isn't necessarily either Citizen Kane or Crap. Expecting even
    an escapist lark to be at least competently made is entirely fair.

    >just
    >don't look with such a serious eye.

    I agree, but that's peripheral. My dislike for Event Horizon had
    nothing to do with having an excessively serious eye. Again, I don't
    know what made you think it did.

    My eye isn't so serious that I can't enjoy 'Adventures of Rocky &
    Bullwinkle," "Fifth Element," "The Empire Strikes Back," "Hold That
    Ghost," and other films - and no, I am not equating the films in terms
    of quality, just listing a few films that I think are all well made,
    well written and well acted, well directed, and othewise are quality
    escapist fun.
    Hitman of Las Vegas, Feb 28, 2004
  16. nosf3ratu

    Peter Briggs Guest

    CLOSEDOWN8 <> wrote:

    > No. My hatred of Paul WS Anderson is over the fact that his movies are
    > completely uninteresting and un-entertaining to me. I was willing to just
    > avoid the guy's work until he landed the gig directing "Alien vs. Predator", a
    > movie I've been waiting for for years

    Well, you know I can't possibly comment on this issue, for obvious
    reasons. I have, however read Paul Anderson's script.

    Hmmm.
    Peter Briggs, Feb 28, 2004
  17. nosf3ratu

    ThePunisher Guest

    Peter Briggs wrote:
    > CLOSEDOWN8 <> wrote:
    >
    >> No. My hatred of Paul WS Anderson is over the fact that his movies
    >> are completely uninteresting and un-entertaining to me. I was
    >> willing to just avoid the guy's work until he landed the gig
    >> directing "Alien vs. Predator", a movie I've been waiting for for
    >> years

    > Well, you know I can't possibly comment on this issue, for obvious
    > reasons. I have, however read Paul Anderson's script.
    >
    > Hmmm.

    And? how does it stack up to yours?

    --
    ThePunisher
    ThePunisher, Feb 28, 2004
  18. nosf3ratu

    Wade365 Guest

    << I have to seriously ask: why does this guy keep getting work in the
    entertainment industry? How does he get the job directing "Alien vs.
    Predator", which has been in development hell for over a decade >>

    You obviously don't work in the entertainment biz... any film that's stuck for
    a decade is stuck for a reason.

    << "Resident Evil" was, literally, the single
    most unenjoyable moviegoing experience of my entire life. >>

    Oh please.

    << OK, I'll try to approach movies with the mentality of a Wal-Mart shopper
    from
    this point on. >>

    Nice knee-jerk comment... way to get WalMart in there... very "hip", very
    "now"...

    Wow. I thought there might be a shit storm over my post but I never expected
    the Spanish Inquisition comin' from the "Alien vs. Predator" post... two words:

    Lighten Up.

    .... or... perhaps three words:

    Heart Attack Coming.

    Such venom as only a breast-beating fanboy can muster... the possibility of
    your SciFi franchise-stew coming out as a big celuloid suck just isn't THAT
    important and you can't tell me you didn't see his coming after all of the
    hold-ups along the way... my God... waiting for over a decade? Have you kissed
    a girl or seen the sunshine in that time?

    You'd think this was alt.fan.gundam the way that person went off about "AvsP".
    I've been out on the fringe looking forward to it as well, but if you wanted or
    expected anything more than "Freddy v. Jason" out of it then you are sadly
    mislead and for far too large a chunk of your time on this rock.

    "Lucas messed up Star Wars!"
    "Spielberg messed up E.T. !"
    "Jackson messed up LotR !"

    "Anderson's gonna mess up (my next antisocial obsession here)!!!"

    Give me a fucking BREAK.

    << Everyones taste
    is different, but I have a lot of company in not responding to Event
    Horizon. >><BR><BR>

    Numbers don't make something correct... they simply mark a trend.

    So you didn't like it, so what? $19.99 you save and I don't.

    Next Caller.
    Wade365, Feb 28, 2004
  19. nosf3ratu

    Lithurge Guest

    (Wade365) wrote in

    > << Everyones taste
    > is different, but I have a lot of company in not responding
    > to Event Horizon. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Numbers don't make something correct... they simply mark a
    > trend.
    >
    > So you didn't like it, so what? $19.99 you save and I
    > don't.
    >
    > Next Caller.

    I'm with you, I enjoy what I enjoy, other's enjoy what they
    enjoy. Screw the numbers as they are meaningless when it
    comes to personal taste.

    See Titanic

    and to go slightly OT bring games into it:

    Myst
    The Sims

    I get no enjoyment out of them, but a lot of people do & they
    sell by the bucketload & make a lot of money, at the end of
    the day doesn't make me want to own them, but I'm not going
    to feel the need to slag them off at every opportunity.
    Lithurge, Feb 28, 2004
  20. nosf3ratu

    Peter Briggs Guest

    ThePunisher <> wrote:

    > > Well, you know I can't possibly comment on this issue, for obvious
    > > reasons. I have, however read Paul Anderson's script.
    > >
    > > Hmmm.

    > And? how does it stack up to yours?

    I decline to comment.

    But, I will say: any Predator movie that -- given the two prior movies
    have gone at great pains to point out that Predators turn up during
    periods of blistering heat -- sets the action in Antarctica, definitely
    has something wrong from the get-go...
    Peter Briggs, Feb 29, 2004