Even More Fun with Telecom

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector»NZ, Jul 25, 2006.

  1. steve wrote:
    > As you all may recall, my phone line and ADSL died on July 12th and Telecom
    > wasn't able to fix it until July 21st.
    >
    > It was fixed for 3-4 hours.....then the land line died again, though the
    > ADSL is still working.
    >
    > We called Telecom on Friday - took 3 hours to get through - and then more
    > time to convince them the line was actually dead again.....and were assured
    > a service person would attending on Monday to fix it.
    >
    > Monday, 1pm came around.....no hint of a service person, so we called
    > Telecom Faults.
    >
    > They had no outstanding service problems for our line and no plans to fix
    > anything. As far as they were concerned, the line had been repaired. The
    > comments related to our Friday evening call had been entered on the
    > previous problem ticket....and closed. No new ticket was raised for the
    > current outage.
    >
    > So they raised a new ticket...and they expect the line to fixed - first
    > chance, mind - on August 3rd.
    >
    > That's 3 weeks after the line went dead on July 12th.
    >
    > I've also discovered my neighbours don't phones, either.....and the Faults
    > person said "We have a lot of people in your area without phones right now.
    > I'm sorry about the delay."
    >
    > Yeah....Right. Slaving away, 9-5, Mon-Fri to restore service to people who
    > haven't had a land line for 2 weeks and counting.

    Dam isn't it time you raised this in a more public profile than NNTP?

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

    steve, Jul 25, 2006

  3. Collector»NZ

    steve Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Dam isn't it time you raised this in a more public profile than NNTP?

    I wrote a letter to the Dom.....but I should be calling the Consumers
    Institute, too.

    Ta.
    steve, Jul 25, 2006
  4. Collector»NZ

    whome Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Dam isn't it time you raised this in a more public profile than NNTP?

    > I wrote a letter to the Dom.....but I should be calling the Consumers
    > Institute, too.
    >
    > Ta.

    Should or will?

    This type of story is rather commonplace these days and I think it reflects
    some cost saving measures within telecom several years ago.

    Telecom used to be pretty good at fixing faults, not so anymore.
    whome, Jul 25, 2006
  5. Collector»NZ

    Geopelia Guest

    "whome" <> wrote in message

    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dam isn't it time you raised this in a more public profile than NNTP?

    >> I wrote a letter to the Dom.....but I should be calling the Consumers
    >> Institute, too.
    >>
    >> Ta.

    > Should or will?
    >
    > This type of story is rather commonplace these days and I think it
    > reflects some cost saving measures within telecom several years ago.
    >
    > Telecom used to be pretty good at fixing faults, not so anymore.

    Has anyone taken it up with Fair Go? They usually get some action.
    Geopelia, Jul 25, 2006
  6. Collector»NZ

    steve Guest

    whome wrote:

    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dam isn't it time you raised this in a more public profile than NNTP?

    >> I wrote a letter to the Dom.....but I should be calling the Consumers
    >> Institute, too.
    >>
    >> Ta.

    > Should or will?

    Did.

    They suggested I write to the Minister responsible for
    telecommunications.....and my local MP.

    > This type of story is rather commonplace these days and I think it
    > reflects some cost saving measures within telecom several years ago.
    >
    > Telecom used to be pretty good at fixing faults, not so anymore.

    Definitely not. They are just pushing cost and inconvenience out onto their
    customers.

    Not appreciated.

    Private business is better? Not in this case. There is no evidence of the
    oft-claimed flexibility and responsiveness of private providers on their
    part and no effective accountability in the present arrangements with
    respect to support.
    steve, Jul 25, 2006
  7. Collector»NZ

    Crumb Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:19:15 +1200, steve <>
    wrote:

    >Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Dam isn't it time you raised this in a more public profile than NNTP?

    >I wrote a letter to the Dom.....but I should be calling the Consumers
    >Institute, too.
    >
    >Ta.

    Why don't you go directly to the big boss lady instead of moaning
    about it in here.

    How do you expect things to get done if you don't go to the big boss
    lady?

    Ther big boss lady should be able to kick asses and if things don't
    get done then she can fire the slack arses who should be doing the
    work.

    Always pays to let the big bosses know when an outfit is not
    performing.
    Crumb, Jul 25, 2006
  8. Collector»NZ

    steve Guest

    Crumb wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:19:15 +1200, steve <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dam isn't it time you raised this in a more public profile than NNTP?

    >>I wrote a letter to the Dom.....but I should be calling the Consumers
    >>Institute, too.
    >>
    >>Ta.

    > Why don't you go directly to the big boss lady instead of moaning
    > about it in here.
    >
    > How do you expect things to get done if you don't go to the big boss
    > lady?

    The policies in operation almost certainly not only have her blessing but
    are very likley the result of initiatives begun by her.

    But you're right. You don't know it won't work until you confirm it in
    reality.

    > Ther big boss lady should be able to kick asses and if things don't
    > get done then she can fire the slack arses who should be doing the
    > work.

    They are likely only doing her bidding as it is. She IS the Boss lady.

    > Always pays to let the big bosses know when an outfit is not
    > performing.

    True. Thanks for the good advice.
    steve, Jul 25, 2006
  9. Collector»NZ

    Vista Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > As you all may recall, my phone line and ADSL died on July 12th and
    > Telecom
    > wasn't able to fix it until July 21st.
    >
    > It was fixed for 3-4 hours.....then the land line died again, though the
    > ADSL is still working.
    >
    > We called Telecom on Friday - took 3 hours to get through - and then more
    > time to convince them the line was actually dead again.....and were
    > assured
    > a service person would attending on Monday to fix it.
    >
    > Monday, 1pm came around.....no hint of a service person, so we called
    > Telecom Faults.
    >
    > They had no outstanding service problems for our line and no plans to fix
    > anything. As far as they were concerned, the line had been repaired. The
    > comments related to our Friday evening call had been entered on the
    > previous problem ticket....and closed. No new ticket was raised for the
    > current outage.
    >
    > So they raised a new ticket...and they expect the line to fixed - first
    > chance, mind - on August 3rd.
    >
    > That's 3 weeks after the line went dead on July 12th.
    >
    > I've also discovered my neighbours don't phones, either.....and the Faults
    > person said "We have a lot of people in your area without phones right
    > now.
    > I'm sorry about the delay."
    >
    > Yeah....Right. Slaving away, 9-5, Mon-Fri to restore service to people who
    > haven't had a land line for 2 weeks and counting.

    Complain to Fair Go. Have they provided you with a free cellphone with
    unlimited calls to use, as you should demand this?
    Vista, Jul 25, 2006
  10. Collector»NZ

    Richard Guest

    Crumb wrote:

    > Why don't you go directly to the big boss lady instead of moaning
    > about it in here.
    >
    > How do you expect things to get done if you don't go to the big boss
    > lady?
    >
    > Ther big boss lady should be able to kick asses and if things don't
    > get done then she can fire the slack arses who should be doing the
    > work.
    >
    > Always pays to let the big bosses know when an outfit is not
    > performing.

    I keep reading all this bitching and whining about telecom, and it makes me glad
    that I am not a customer of theres. Why do people insist on dealing with such a
    decrepid outfit?
    Richard, Jul 25, 2006
  11. Richard wrote:
    > Crumb wrote:
    >
    >> Why don't you go directly to the big boss lady instead of moaning
    >> about it in here.
    >> How do you expect things to get done if you don't go to the big boss
    >> lady?
    >>
    >> Ther big boss lady should be able to kick asses and if things don't
    >> get done then she can fire the slack arses who should be doing the
    >> work.
    >>
    >> Always pays to let the big bosses know when an outfit is not
    >> performing.

    > I keep reading all this bitching and whining about telecom, and it makes
    > me glad that I am not a customer of theres. Why do people insist on
    > dealing with such a decrepid outfit?

    The only alternative is Telstra, but they're not an option unless you're
    willing to take your data services to them also (or go without).
    Komrade Klark, Jul 25, 2006
  12. Collector»NZ

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:11:00 +1200, steve wrote:

    > Yeah....Right. Slaving away, 9-5, Mon-Fri to restore service to people who
    > haven't had a land line for 2 weeks and counting.

    Hey, Redbaiter tells me that if we privatise everything, we can look
    forward to such efficiency for ALL things!

    Wow!

    --

    .... Brendan

    #268247 +(3744)- [X]

    <glacial> I love school
    <glacial> Today our term paper due date's set
    <glacial> Our instructor says that we WILL hand in the paper on time, and
    she'll accept no excuses except illness, with a note from our doctor, or a
    death in the immediate family, with a note from the dead member.
    <glacial> So this wiseass pipes up: "What about extreme sexual
    exhaustion?"
    <glacial> She waits for the laughs to die down and says:
    <glacial> "Well, I guess you'll have to learn to write with your other
    hand"

    Note: All my comments are copyright 25/07/2006 5:44:15 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Jul 25, 2006
  13. Collector»NZ

    Richard Guest

    Komrade Klark wrote:

    > The only alternative is Telstra, but they're not an option unless you're
    > willing to take your data services to them also (or go without).

    Go without is a perfectly viable option, a landline is hardly essential
    Richard, Jul 25, 2006
  14. Richard wrote:
    > Komrade Klark wrote:
    >
    >> The only alternative is Telstra, but they're not an option unless
    >> you're willing to take your data services to them also (or go without).

    > Go without is a perfectly viable option, a landline is hardly essential

    True, but that depends where you are I guess, unless you have a
    monitored alarm of course. Though I suppose there are alternatives to
    the landline method in that respect as well.
    Komrade Klark, Jul 25, 2006
  15. Collector»NZ

    Redbaiter Guest

    > On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:11:00 +1200, steve wrote:
    >
    > > Yeah....Right. Slaving away, 9-5, Mon-Fri to restore service to people who
    > > haven't had a land line for 2 weeks and counting.

    > Hey, Redbaiter tells me that if we privatise everything, we can look
    > forward to such efficiency for ALL things!
    >
    > Wow!

    Like I would bother telling a boring leftist fuckwit like you
    anything..
    Redbaiter, Jul 25, 2006
  16. Collector»NZ

    BTMO Guest

    "steve" <> wrote

    > As you all may recall, my phone line and ADSL died on July 12th and
    > Telecom
    > wasn't able to fix it until July 21st.

    In other news, TelstraClear emailed me today.

    They are proactively increasing our 2Mbps (each way) to 4Mbps....

    Oh, and last time I had a fault, I rang them, told them and hung up. They
    called me back when they sorted it.

    Yes, they have problems, but their problems are trivial to what Telecom
    considers "good service"...

    I always laugh when the "Xtraordinaries" come on (cable) tv now...

    Bunch of useless geeks...

    :-D
    BTMO, Jul 25, 2006
  17. Collector»NZ

    Kent Smith Guest

    "BTMO" <> wrote in message news:44c5f70f$...

    > "steve" <> wrote
    >
    >> As you all may recall, my phone line and ADSL died on July 12th and
    >> Telecom
    >> wasn't able to fix it until July 21st.

    > In other news, TelstraClear <snip>
    >
    > and last time I had a fault, I rang them, told them and hung up. They
    > called me back when they sorted it.
    >
    > Yes, they have problems, but their problems are trivial to what Telecom
    > considers "good service"...

    TelstraClear screwed up our house move a couple of years back and recently
    our land line died (ended up a jack point in our house) - both times took
    about a week to sort out. Both times they agreed to the following:
    1. Refund portion of monthly fee without service
    2. Paid for all local calls from my cellphone and my wifes cellphone.
    3. Free redirection of our landline to our mobiles (you can ring up and
    redirect it to any number)
    4. Re-imbursement of GPRS data charges for Internet

    Sure it was inconvenient for a while but were quite happy since we knew they
    were paying for all that. We just submitted our cellphone usage and they
    credited our account.

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Jul 25, 2006
  18. Collector»NZ

    Geopelia Guest

    We/ve just got our bill, and apparently they think we made a false111 call
    at a time when I was on the computer and, being dial-up, nobody could have
    used the phone. We are the only two in the house and we certainly didn't
    make it.

    They didn't charge for it, but I am annoyed that they would say we made a
    false 111 call, when we have to make genuine ones for the ambulance and know
    the importance of not tying up their line. I've asked them to explain how it
    could have happened.

    Is anyone else getting calls they have not made ascribed to them?

    It looks as though we may have to dump Telecom as well as xtra, once the
    government unbundles them.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Jul 25, 2006
  19. Collector»NZ

    Guest Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > We/ve just got our bill, and apparently they think we made a false111 call
    > at a time when I was on the computer and, being dial-up, nobody could have
    > used the phone. We are the only two in the house and we certainly didn't
    > make it.
    >
    > They didn't charge for it, but I am annoyed that they would say we made a
    > false 111 call, when we have to make genuine ones for the ambulance and

    know
    > the importance of not tying up their line. I've asked them to explain how

    it
    > could have happened.
    >
    > Is anyone else getting calls they have not made ascribed to them?
    >
    > It looks as though we may have to dump Telecom as well as xtra, once the
    > government unbundles them.
    >
    > Geopelia

    They managed to show ten on our bill one month - in five minutes. I don't
    think that is possible as the emergency service tends to hold onto your line
    for a while - as we discovered as I tried to ring for an ambulance after
    reporting an assault.
    They did take half off, but insisted on charging for the rest.

    Alternatives? None. Satan (who merged with Telstra then with Clear) ran
    their cables past the end of our street but refused to connect it to their
    network. Telecom gave us the competition discount tho'. (Satan also
    delighted in poor and dangerous finishing of all earthworks.)

    After a 7-day disconnexion they gave us a month's rental off - but we had to
    ring and ask for it, it could not be handled by the Telecom people but we
    had to be put thro' to the contractors, whose training was so incompetent he
    quoted a figure for the amount to be taken off the bill that bore no
    relation to the actual figure.
    Guest, Jul 26, 2006
  20. Collector»NZ

    steve Guest

    Brendan wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:11:00 +1200, steve wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah....Right. Slaving away, 9-5, Mon-Fri to restore service to people
    >> who haven't had a land line for 2 weeks and counting.

    > Hey, Redbaiter tells me that if we privatise everything, we can look
    > forward to such efficiency for ALL things!
    >
    > Wow!

    What Telecom is doing is likey VERY efficient from THEIR point of
    view......though not EFFECTIVE in maintaining customer satisfaction or
    keeping a network running.

    Clearly, they look to save money rather than provide service or have happy
    customers.

    The message could not be more clear in that regard.

    It's the key failing of private business.....and why public organisations
    can be more successful at providing the service......if that is what they
    MUST do.
    steve, Jul 26, 2006