    http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/4025300/Kiwi-device-to-make-
    broadband-50X-faster

    Sounds too good to be true?
    Peter, Aug 14, 2010

  2. Peter

    Penguin Man Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 22:04:21 +1200, Peter <>
    wrote:

    >A small Palmerston North company has created a device that will make
    >broadband internet more than 50 times faster without having to pay hundreds
    >of dollars installing fibre-optic cables. The system looks like a modem,
    >and connects with homes' existing wiring to boost broadband speeds without
    >having to pay for re-wiring a home with fibre-optic
    >http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/4025300/Kiwi-device-to-make-
    >broadband-50X-faster
    >
    >Sounds too good to be true?

    Yes a Total Joke, seen these quotes many many times before, like the
    water powered car..

    Plus you don't get any thing for free here, its more like a total rip
    off.
    Penguin Man, Aug 14, 2010

  3. Peter

    victor Guest

    On 14/08/2010 10:04 p.m., Peter wrote:

    > A small Palmerston North company has created a device that will make
    > broadband internet more than 50 times faster without having to pay hundreds
    > of dollars installing fibre-optic cables. The system looks like a modem,
    > and connects with homes' existing wiring to boost broadband speeds without
    > having to pay for re-wiring a home with fibre-optic
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/4025300/Kiwi-device-to-make-
    > broadband-50X-faster
    >
    > Sounds too good to be true?

    Just a poorly written article typical of technology and science writing
    junk in our newspapers. This reporter should have never be let near
    anything more complex than a clock radio.
    Its about the Telecom Service Delivery Point which Chorus install.
    http://www.chorus.co.nz/f72,31159/Customer_Brief_April_2010.pdf
    No one invested millions, its not leading edge technology, the report is
    complete bullshit and the company should be embarrassed.
    It contains a master splitter for adsl/vdsl and has no more benefit to
    your broadband speed than installing a master splitter at the
    demarcation point.
    victor, Aug 15, 2010
  4. On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 11:18:45 +1200, victor <> wrote:

    >On 14/08/2010 10:04 p.m., Peter wrote:
    >>
    >> A small Palmerston North company has created a device that will make
    >> broadband internet more than 50 times faster without having to pay hundreds
    >> of dollars installing fibre-optic cables. The system looks like a modem,
    >> and connects with homes' existing wiring to boost broadband speeds without
    >> having to pay for re-wiring a home with fibre-optic
    >> http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/4025300/Kiwi-device-to-make-
    >> broadband-50X-faster
    >>
    >> Sounds too good to be true?
    >>

    >Just a poorly written article typical of technology and science writing
    >junk in our newspapers. This reporter should have never be let near
    >anything more complex than a clock radio.
    >Its about the Telecom Service Delivery Point which Chorus install.
    >http://www.chorus.co.nz/f72,31159/Customer_Brief_April_2010.pdf
    >No one invested millions, its not leading edge technology, the report is
    >complete bullshit and the company should be embarrassed.
    >It contains a master splitter for adsl/vdsl and has no more benefit to
    >your broadband speed than installing a master splitter at the
    >demarcation point.

    Bugger off.
    How dare you ruin our flight of fancy with the effin' truth.
    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Aug 15, 2010
  5. Peter

    Richard Guest

    victor wrote:

    > Just a poorly written article typical of technology and science writing
    > junk in our newspapers. This reporter should have never be let near
    > anything more complex than a clock radio.
    > Its about the Telecom Service Delivery Point which Chorus install.
    > http://www.chorus.co.nz/f72,31159/Customer_Brief_April_2010.pdf
    > No one invested millions, its not leading edge technology, the report is
    > complete bullshit and the company should be embarrassed.
    > It contains a master splitter for adsl/vdsl and has no more benefit to
    > your broadband speed than installing a master splitter at the
    > demarcation point.

    IMO its great that telecom finally are thinking of installing a proper
    demarcation point on houses.

    Rest of the world has had them for years, but telecom have still been
    installing the crappy little white J box with scotchlocs in them which
    make it impossible for the homeowner to do an isolation test.
    Richard, Aug 15, 2010
  6. Peter

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-08-14, Peter <> wrote:

    > A small Palmerston North company has created a device that will make
    > broadband internet more than 50 times faster without having to pay hundreds
    > of dollars installing fibre-optic cables. The system looks like a modem,
    > and connects with homes' existing wiring to boost broadband speeds without
    > having to pay for re-wiring a home with fibre-optic
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/4025300/Kiwi-device-to-make-
    > broadband-50X-faster
    >
    > Sounds too good to be true?

    Do they wish to raise capital?
    Gordon, Aug 15, 2010
  7. Peter

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-08-14, Penguin Man <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 22:04:21 +1200, Peter <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>A small Palmerston North company has created a device that will make
    >>broadband internet more than 50 times faster without having to pay hundreds
    >>of dollars installing fibre-optic cables. The system looks like a modem,
    >>and connects with homes' existing wiring to boost broadband speeds without
    >>having to pay for re-wiring a home with fibre-optic
    >>http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/4025300/Kiwi-device-to-make-
    >>broadband-50X-faster
    >>
    >>Sounds too good to be true?
    >>

    > Yes a Total Joke, seen these quotes many many times before, like the
    > water powered car.

    Ironic, but without water your car would not be powered.plants need water,
    for it has hydrogen in it which they exract from the water, thanks solar
    energy.

    Many plants are about to get going on this process big time in the southern
    hemisphere.
    Gordon, Aug 15, 2010
  8. Peter

    victor Guest

    On 15/08/2010 12:42 p.m., Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 11:18:45 +1200, victor<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 14/08/2010 10:04 p.m., Peter wrote:
    >>>
    >>> A small Palmerston North company has created a device that will make
    >>> broadband internet more than 50 times faster without having to pay hundreds
    >>> of dollars installing fibre-optic cables. The system looks like a modem,
    >>> and connects with homes' existing wiring to boost broadband speeds without
    >>> having to pay for re-wiring a home with fibre-optic
    >>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/4025300/Kiwi-device-to-make-
    >>> broadband-50X-faster
    >>>
    >>> Sounds too good to be true?
    >>>

    >> Just a poorly written article typical of technology and science writing
    >> junk in our newspapers. This reporter should have never be let near
    >> anything more complex than a clock radio.
    >> Its about the Telecom Service Delivery Point which Chorus install.
    >> http://www.chorus.co.nz/f72,31159/Customer_Brief_April_2010.pdf
    >> No one invested millions, its not leading edge technology, the report is
    >> complete bullshit and the company should be embarrassed.
    >> It contains a master splitter for adsl/vdsl and has no more benefit to
    >> your broadband speed than installing a master splitter at the
    >> demarcation point.

    > Bugger off.
    > How dare you ruin our flight of fancy with the effin' truth.

    They have now corrected their story to "50% faster"
    victor, Aug 15, 2010
  9. Peter

    victor Guest

    On 15/08/2010 3:57 p.m., Richard wrote:
    > victor wrote:
    >
    >> Just a poorly written article typical of technology and science
    >> writing junk in our newspapers. This reporter should have never be let
    >> near anything more complex than a clock radio.
    >> Its about the Telecom Service Delivery Point which Chorus install.
    >> http://www.chorus.co.nz/f72,31159/Customer_Brief_April_2010.pdf
    >> No one invested millions, its not leading edge technology, the report
    >> is complete bullshit and the company should be embarrassed.
    >> It contains a master splitter for adsl/vdsl and has no more benefit to
    >> your broadband speed than installing a master splitter at the
    >> demarcation point.

    > IMO its great that telecom finally are thinking of installing a proper
    > demarcation point on houses.
    >
    > Rest of the world has had them for years, but telecom have still been
    > installing the crappy little white J box with scotchlocs in them which
    > make it impossible for the homeowner to do an isolation test.

    "* An earlier version of this story mentioned the device would improve
    speeds "more than 50 times" instead of "up to 50 per cent". We apologise
    for the error."
    victor, Aug 15, 2010
  10. On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 18:28:09 +1200, victor <> wrote:

    >On 15/08/2010 12:42 p.m., Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:

    >>> Just a poorly written article typical of technology and science writing
    >>> junk in our newspapers. This reporter should have never be let near
    >>> anything more complex than a clock radio.
    >>> Its about the Telecom Service Delivery Point which Chorus install.
    >>> http://www.chorus.co.nz/f72,31159/Customer_Brief_April_2010.pdf
    >>> No one invested millions, its not leading edge technology, the report is
    >>> complete bullshit and the company should be embarrassed.
    >>> It contains a master splitter for adsl/vdsl and has no more benefit to
    >>> your broadband speed than installing a master splitter at the
    >>> demarcation point.

    >> Bugger off.
    >> How dare you ruin our flight of fancy with the effin' truth.

    >They have now corrected their story to "50% faster"

    Reality just sucks.
    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Aug 15, 2010
  11. On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 10:05:13 +1200, Penguin Man <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 22:04:21 +1200, Peter <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>A small Palmerston North company has created a device that will make
    >>broadband internet more than 50 times faster without having to pay hundreds
    >>of dollars installing fibre-optic cables. The system looks like a modem,
    >>and connects with homes' existing wiring to boost broadband speeds without
    >>having to pay for re-wiring a home with fibre-optic
    >>http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/4025300/Kiwi-device-to-make-
    >>broadband-50X-faster
    >>
    >>Sounds too good to be true?
    >>

    >Yes a Total Joke, seen these quotes many many times before, like the
    >water powered car..
    >

    >Plus you don't get any thing for free here, its more like a total rip
    >off.

    The 50x is wrong - bad reporting. The box has a good VDSL2+ splitter
    in it, so in houses with bad or wrong wiring, it can make the DSL
    connection much faster. If you already have good wiring, and have a
    proper fixed splitter, you will not see any great improvement. I had
    one of the same VDSL2+ splitters put in my house, and got maybe 5%
    extra speed, but much better reliability over the plugin splitters.
    But I was cabinetised last year and was already getting excellent
    speed. My router is currently reporting 16826 kbit/s down and 945
    kbit/s up as the raw ADSL2+ speed.
    Stephen Worthington, Aug 15, 2010
  12. Peter

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Penguin Man wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 22:04:21 +1200, Peter <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> A small Palmerston North company has created a device that will make
    >> broadband internet more than 50 times faster without having to pay
    >> hundreds of dollars installing fibre-optic cables. The system looks
    >> like a modem, and connects with homes' existing wiring to boost
    >> broadband speeds without having to pay for re-wiring a home with
    >> fibre-optic
    >> http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/4025300/Kiwi-device-to-make-
    >> broadband-50X-faster
    >>
    >> Sounds too good to be true?
    >>

    > Yes a Total Joke, seen these quotes many many times before, like the
    > water powered car..
    >

    > Plus you don't get any thing for free here, its more like a total rip
    > off.

    That sounds *exactly* like Roger Sheep-herd.

    A-plonking I will go....
    --
    Shaun.

    "Let food be thy medicine" Hippocrates.
    ~misfit~, Aug 16, 2010
  13. Peter

    Squiggle Guest

    On 16/08/2010 12:42 p.m., ~misfit~ threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Penguin Man wrote:
    >> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 22:04:21 +1200, Peter <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> A small Palmerston North company has created a device that will make
    >>> broadband internet more than 50 times faster without having to pay
    >>> hundreds of dollars installing fibre-optic cables. The system looks
    >>> like a modem, and connects with homes' existing wiring to boost
    >>> broadband speeds without having to pay for re-wiring a home with
    >>> fibre-optic
    >>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/4025300/Kiwi-device-to-make-
    >>> broadband-50X-faster
    >>>
    >>> Sounds too good to be true?
    >>>

    >> Yes a Total Joke, seen these quotes many many times before, like the
    >> water powered car..
    >>

    >> Plus you don't get any thing for free here, its more like a total rip
    >> off.

    > That sounds *exactly* like Roger Sheep-herd.
    >
    > A-plonking I will go....

    Find a way to block all posts with X-No-Archive, its really worth it!
    Squiggle, Aug 16, 2010
  14. Peter

    peterwn Guest

    On Aug 15, 11:18 am, victor <> wrote:
    > the report is
    > complete bullshit and the company should be embarrassed.
    > It contains a master splitter for adsl/vdsl and has no more benefit to
    > your broadband speed than installing a master splitter at the
    > demarcation point.

    Anyone knows where you can buy these master splitters. Neither Dickies
    or Jaycar have them. I have used one of the ordinary plugin splitters
    as a master splitter but am feeling uncomfortable with it (I install a
    'slave' jack near demarc, plug a splitter into it, terminate the rest
    of the wiring into a BT plug and plug it into the splitter).
    peterwn, Aug 16, 2010
  15. Peter

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    > On 16/08/2010 12:42 p.m., ~misfit~ threw some characters down the
    > intarwebs:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Penguin Man wrote:

    >>> Yes a Total Joke, seen these quotes many many times before, like the
    >>> water powered car..
    >>>

    >>> Plus you don't get any thing for free here, its more like a total
    >>> rip off.

    >> That sounds *exactly* like Roger Sheep-herd.
    >>
    >> A-plonking I will go....

    > Find a way to block all posts with X-No-Archive, its really worth it!

    Yeah, I *WILL* get around to graduating from OE (with Quotefix) /one/ day.
    :-/

    ~misfit~, Aug 16, 2010
  16. On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 01:50:48 -0700 (PDT), peterwn <>
    wrote:

    >On Aug 15, 11:18 am, victor <> wrote:
    >> the report is
    >> complete bullshit and the company should be embarrassed.
    >> It contains a master splitter for adsl/vdsl and has no more benefit to
    >> your broadband speed than installing a master splitter at the
    >> demarcation point.

    >Anyone knows where you can buy these master splitters. Neither Dickies
    >or Jaycar have them. I have used one of the ordinary plugin splitters
    >as a master splitter but am feeling uncomfortable with it (I install a
    >'slave' jack near demarc, plug a splitter into it, terminate the rest
    >of the wiring into a BT plug and plug it into the splitter).

    Apparently Chorus will be putting in one of the SDP (Service Delivery
    Point) boxes at all sites they are called out to. I am not sure if
    that is happening yet, as they have only limited stocks of SDPs so
    far, but soon all you should need to do is develop a fault to get a
    VDSL2 splitter installed.

    If you want a ADSL splitter now, the phone installer companies have
    them in stock as they install them when requested to. Or look here
    for a VDSL2 splitter:

    http://vdsl2.co.nz/

    The VDSL2 splitters are better as the filtering has a very sharp
    cutoff to allow more bandwidth for the DSL signals.
    Stephen Worthington, Aug 17, 2010
  17. Peter

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:28:59 +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:

    > The VDSL2 splitters are better as the filtering has a very sharp cutoff
    > to allow more bandwidth for the DSL signals.

    How does that sharp filter affect the quality of sound on the telephone
    line?

    Sweetpea, Aug 17, 2010
  18. In message <>, Stephen Worthington
    wrote:

    > Apparently Chorus will be putting in one of the SDP (Service Delivery
    > Point) boxes at all sites they are called out to. I am not sure if
    > that is happening yet, as they have only limited stocks of SDPs so
    > far, but soon all you should need to do is develop a fault to get a
    > VDSL2 splitter installed.

    I reported a fault, and had it fixed over the weekend. It was a fault with
    the voice line—does that count?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 18, 2010
  19. On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:38:30 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:28:59 +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >
    >> The VDSL2 splitters are better as the filtering has a very sharp cutoff
    >> to allow more bandwidth for the DSL signals.

    >How does that sharp filter affect the quality of sound on the telephone
    >line?

    Not at all. The cutoff is still in the same place.
    Stephen Worthington, Aug 18, 2010
  20. In message <>, Stephen Worthington
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:38:30 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:28:59 +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >>
    >>> The VDSL2 splitters are better as the filtering has a very sharp cutoff
    >>> to allow more bandwidth for the DSL signals.

    >>How does that sharp filter affect the quality of sound on the telephone
    >>line?

    > Not at all. The cutoff is still in the same place.

    Hard to believe. Analog filters with sharp cutoffs tend to have phase-shift
    issues.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 18, 2010