    i am running a sempron 3000+

    Please help!
    Lemo

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=, Nov 15, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=

    Rick Guest

    You need to determine exactly what "evaluation" version you have on your
    computer. Some places are still loading a copy of the Beta and that
    causes problems because most of the old drivers are not compatible with
    the released version.

    Click on <Start> then <Run> the type in "winver" (without quotes) and
    click on <OK> and an "About Windows" will come up and provide the
    information you need.

    Rick, Nov 15, 2005

  3. The question I would like to ask, are System builders or OEMs suppose to be
    selling PCs with evaluation versions on it? Gosh, are they that cheap they
    can't even bundle it with XP Home? XP Professional x64 Trial version should
    be a separate disk that comes with system that user should choose to install
    if they wish. I suspect its beta version of XP Pro x64 you are running,
    because all recent versions of Messenger are fully compatible with XP x64.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 15, 2005
  4. Its "Version 5.2 Build 3790"

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=, Nov 15, 2005
  5. I bought the PC off ebay, and once I paid, the "power seller" got 20+
    negative feedback in the following month. Most people didnt even receive
    their PCs so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones (although it was advertised as
    an athlon, so Im slightly annoyed at that). The seller got kicked off ebay
    and have had no replies from questions Ive asked him since the PC arrived
    So Im stuffed!
    Ah well, you live and learn....

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=, Nov 15, 2005
  6. I would do a system restore then prior to this problem occuring.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 15, 2005
  7. If I was to buy the retail version on x64, and installed it, would this fix
    all my problems too?

    Thanks very much for your help, by the way!

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=, Nov 15, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    There is NO retail version. Available only OEM with equipment (though
    places like NewEgg include a cable splitter to comply). The odds of
    installing this is unlikely to solve ALL your problems. There are numerous
    driver and software problems with x64 and you must do your research to make
    sure it is for you. Andre has several posts of those whom this system is
    designed for. Read them. Charlie had a webcast. If you can view it. Then
    decide if x64 is for you or should you go for x86 or a dual boot. Learn
    before you buy, as you will see here a number of purchasers didn't and have
    regretted it. Many love it.

    John Barnes, Nov 15, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=

    John Barnes, Nov 15, 2005
  10. Sorry about what happened with the seller on ebay as John had mention, for
    your interest here is a quick run down about targetted audience for Windows
    x64:
    Some things to remember from Charlies recent web cast:
    The initial target audience for XP Professional x64 includes the following:
    - Developers
    - Gamers
    - Graphics, audio and media artists
    - Computer-aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM)
    - Enthusiast
    (It is not recommended for casual users)

    Also common issues associated with x64 when it comes to compatibility
    include:
    No support for 16-bit applications
    All hardware device drivers are required to be 64-bit to work on x64
    No support for MS-DOS applications
    32-Bit Explorer extensions do not work

    Others include:
    No active desktop in x64
    No Microsoft IntelliPoint drivers (popular one here in the ngs)
    No firewall client for ISA, also no Novell netware client
    Scanners and all-in-one printer driver support can be a problem
    No imaging software support

    More:
    Limited AntiVirus support (supported ones are Avast Home 4.6, NOD 32, AVG,
    eTrust 7.1, Symantec AV 10)
    No Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2) in wireless
    For NERO users have encountered uninstallation problems, limited and easily
    resolved by re-running setup from the CD. (See the post Nero 7 doesnt
    uninstall on Win x64 by Wad dated: 11/3/2005 3:44 AM)

    So make sure your investment in Windows XP Professional x64 is worth the
    possible trade offs, I think most would agree at least the ensure that the
    computer is 64 bit enabled. You can give the XP Professional x64 Trial a
    trial in a dual boot configuration with XP x86 to see if it really fits your
    needs.
    Check out the entire presentation at the following link
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=909753

    Also check out the following FAQs by Charlie Russel:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/64bit/russel_x64faq.mspx

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 15, 2005
  11. If you do plan on moving to Windows x64, you can aquire the full OEM version
    with qualifying hardware from the following vendors:
    http://www.directron.com/winxpx64.html
    http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102034
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=14638&vpn=ZAT-00007&manufacture=Microsoft
    http://www.planetamd64.com/catalog/

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 15, 2005
  12. I was told today that if I have a 64 bit processor, x64 is the only version
    of XP I can run - is this not true?

    thanks for all your help on this andre and john!

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=, Nov 15, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    The 32-bit Windows XP (Home Or Professional) work just great on a 64-bit
    processor. A 64-bit operating system is useful to those delineated in
    Andre's post.

    John Barnes, Nov 15, 2005
  14. In fact you can run both XP Pro x64 and any version of x86 Windows you want.
    A lot of x64 users run both in a dual boot scenario. If you do that, be
    sure to start fresh and install x86 first and then put x64 on a different
    drive or partition.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 16, 2005
  15. I'll just get 32-bit version this weekend then!
    all I'll be using the pc for is sound recording/producing so i dont need the
    64 bit version

    thanks, you have all been a big help!

    Lemo

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=, Nov 16, 2005
  16. I restored the system back to before the updates and everything works fine now
    :)

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=, Nov 16, 2005
  17. No, we need more than that, I'm afraid. I still suspect he installed the CPP
    eval version. Take a look at the following registry key and tell me what it
    says:

    NT\CurrentVersion\CSDBuildNumber

    If it's anything OTHER than 1830, we've identified the problem.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 16, 2005
  18. =?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=

    Randy Guest

    Um, not if, as I suspect, the problem is that you haven't got (and they may
    not be available yet, if ever) the correct x64 drivers for the peripherals
    involved...

    But I think the overall impression is that most of us have found at least
    drivers for our basic systems -- audio, video (card, display), network
    (finally found a USB modem that works), motherboard/chipsets, etc. The
    generic vga driver is fairly spectacular compared to previous versions of
    Windows, at least with the Server version (I had to locate and install the
    same when installing XP Pro x64). USB audio is a cinch if you're not an
    audiophile. Ditto for mice and keyboards -- forget about Intellistuff for
    now.

    Drivers should be much more abundant when Vista comes to town next year.
    More manufacturers should get their acts together by then. Right now, they
    seem to be biding their time watching to gauge the public's collective
    reaction to Microsoft's new operating system standards before throwing their
    own resources in the pool. It wouldn't be the first time. Doing the opposite
    (the right thing) might be...

    Randy, Nov 16, 2005
  19. =?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=

    Randy Guest

    Nah, you're not stuffed, you're just setup to be entertained and educated in
    the foibles of both under-handed business practices AND some potentially
    incredible giant leaps for softwarekind. ;~) If you're like most of us,
    you'll see it as and enjoy it for the challenge it presents. Turn your
    lemons into Cherry Coca Cola... Don't let the ebay crook spoil your day,
    just take the ball and run with it and have fun. Karma has a way of coming
    around anyway, so you'll eventually get your due (an even better system),
    just as the ebay crook will get what's coming to him. ;~)

    Randy, Nov 16, 2005
  20. =?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=

    Randy Guest

    Then you just might want to first look at a few posts by Charlie talking
    about a free 64-bit version of CakeWalk (IIRC). 64 bit computing opens up a
    whole new world of real-time editing in much larger memory spaces than
    previously available under Windows. And IIRC, CakeWalk in particular works
    faster under x64 as well

    Consider the difference in being able to create, edit, and record a new,
    lengthy work (music, prose, video, or whatever) completely in your head
    before writing out the final version... versus having to do EVERYTHING by
    pen and paper, or on a type writer, or even in a word processor. The former
    frees your mind to work more efficiently; the latter is constrained by the
    capacities of the various methods used -- how many bits of data they can
    hold and let you work on simultaneously.

    You can always dual boot... keep doing what you're used to under an x32
    environment, but have x64 installed on a second partition (installed
    second), allowing you to then chose which to run each time you boot. You
    then get the benefit of continuity of production doing what you're familiar
    with, while being able to "play with" (learn) the new OS on the side as time
    and interest permit. When the time then comes (as it eventually, inevitably,
    will) you HAVE to upgrade, you're already that much further along the path
    to x64... and it's that much further along becoming ready for you.

    Randy, Nov 16, 2005