Evaluation CD problem

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by SteveH, May 27, 2008.

  1. SteveH

    SteveH Guest

    Hello

    I received a 120-day Win XP Professional CD with the Microsoft books I
    bought for the exam.

    I have Win XP (Home) at the moment and wanted to partition my C drive so
    that I could have both Home and Professional while working towards the exam.

    Over the weekend, however, when I put the CD in the tray, I get a message
    saying the CD can't be installed as the copy of Windows (my already installed
    Home edition) is newer than the version I was trying to install.

    How would I overcome that problem?

    Thanks.

    Steve
     
    SteveH, May 27, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. SteveH

    AJR Guest

    SteveH - Evidently you are attempting to install the trail XP Pro from
    within the Windows Home installatiion. Your current XP Home installation
    includes the Service Pack which "upgrades" it to a "newer" install over XP
    Pro without the service pack.

    There are several options. Personally , your XP home is sufficient.


    "SteveH" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello
    >
    > I received a 120-day Win XP Professional CD with the Microsoft books I
    > bought for the exam.
    >
    > I have Win XP (Home) at the moment and wanted to partition my C drive so
    > that I could have both Home and Professional while working towards the
    > exam.
    >
    > Over the weekend, however, when I put the CD in the tray, I get a message
    > saying the CD can't be installed as the copy of Windows (my already
    > installed
    > Home edition) is newer than the version I was trying to install.
    >
    > How would I overcome that problem?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Steve
     
    AJR, May 27, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. SteveH

    PAJ Guest

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 14:42:55 -0400, "AJR" <> wrote:

    >SteveH - Evidently you are attempting to install the trail XP Pro from
    >within the Windows Home installatiion. Your current XP Home installation
    >includes the Service Pack which "upgrades" it to a "newer" install over XP
    >Pro without the service pack.
    >
    >There are several options. Personally , your XP home is sufficient.


    Yeah, or you could always upgrade to Windows 98.
     
    PAJ, May 27, 2008
    #3
  4. SteveH

    John R Guest

    "SteveH" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello
    >
    > I received a 120-day Win XP Professional CD with the Microsoft books I
    > bought for the exam.
    >
    > I have Win XP (Home) at the moment and wanted to partition my C drive so
    > that I could have both Home and Professional while working towards the
    > exam.
    >
    > Over the weekend, however, when I put the CD in the tray, I get a message
    > saying the CD can't be installed as the copy of Windows (my already
    > installed
    > Home edition) is newer than the version I was trying to install.
    >
    > How would I overcome that problem?
    >
    > Thanks.


    When you run the CD from within a windows environment, it wants to "upgrade"
    your current windows installation. If you want to install the trial version
    to run separately, and leave your existing installation alone, boot the CD
    and install it to a partition other than where your current windows is
    installed.

    Note: I make no claims that you will not accidentally pick the partition
    where your current windows is installed and wipe out your current version of
    windows. Should you do so, you agree up front that by reading this message,
    you absolve me of all claims of liability, both current and future, and that
    your only remedy from me will be for me to further clarify how to do it
    properly once I calm down from my laughing.

    John R
     
    John R, May 27, 2008
    #4
  5. > "SteveH" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >> I received a 120-day Win XP Professional CD with the Microsoft books I
    >> bought for the exam.
    >>
    >> I have Win XP (Home) at the moment and wanted to partition my C drive so
    >> that I could have both Home and Professional while working towards the
    >> exam.
    >>
    >> Over the weekend, however, when I put the CD in the tray, I get a message
    >> saying the CD can't be installed as the copy of Windows (my already
    >> installed
    >> Home edition) is newer than the version I was trying to install.
    >>
    >> How would I overcome that problem?


    >"AJR" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    > SteveH - Evidently you are attempting to install the trail XP Pro from
    > within the Windows Home installatiion. Your current XP Home installation
    > includes the Service Pack which "upgrades" it to a "newer" install over XP
    > Pro without the service pack.
    >
    > There are several options. Personally , your XP home is sufficient.


    Ironically, the first two chapters of those exam training books teach
    =exactly= how to address this situation!!!

    Follow the exercises Steve... don't work ahead. :)


    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP, MCBMSP, MCTS(x4), MCP
    Senior Data Architect, APQC, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2008)

    MS WSUS Website: http://www.microsoft.com/wsus
    My Websites: http://www.onsitechsolutions.com;
    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
     
    Lawrence Garvin, May 28, 2008
    #5
  6. SteveH

    SteveH Guest

    Hello

    Thank you for your replies.

    I have tried to partition the hard drive so as to be able to install the
    evaluation disk in one portion, leaving my Home edition well alone.

    This is what I tried:

    DISKPART> list disk

    Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    -------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
    Disk 0 Online 114 GB 0 B

    DISKPART> select disk c

    The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.

    DISKPART> select disk 0

    Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

    DISKPART> create partition extended [5000]

    The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.

    DISKPART> create partition extended 5000

    The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.

    DISKPART>

    As you can see I am trying to allocate 5GB for the Win XP Prof evaluation
    disk; I tried the drive letter C at first, but MS-DOS seems to call my drive
    0 (!!??). So I decided to type that in instead. To no avail, as you can see.

    Steve


    "John R" wrote:

    >
    > "SteveH" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > I received a 120-day Win XP Professional CD with the Microsoft books I
    > > bought for the exam.
    > >
    > > I have Win XP (Home) at the moment and wanted to partition my C drive so
    > > that I could have both Home and Professional while working towards the
    > > exam.
    > >
    > > Over the weekend, however, when I put the CD in the tray, I get a message
    > > saying the CD can't be installed as the copy of Windows (my already
    > > installed
    > > Home edition) is newer than the version I was trying to install.
    > >
    > > How would I overcome that problem?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    >
    > When you run the CD from within a windows environment, it wants to "upgrade"
    > your current windows installation. If you want to install the trial version
    > to run separately, and leave your existing installation alone, boot the CD
    > and install it to a partition other than where your current windows is
    > installed.
    >
    > Note: I make no claims that you will not accidentally pick the partition
    > where your current windows is installed and wipe out your current version of
    > windows. Should you do so, you agree up front that by reading this message,
    > you absolve me of all claims of liability, both current and future, and that
    > your only remedy from me will be for me to further clarify how to do it
    > properly once I calm down from my laughing.
    >
    > John R
    >
    >
     
    SteveH, May 29, 2008
    #6
  7. SteveH

    John R Guest

    "SteveH" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello
    >
    > Thank you for your replies.
    >
    > I have tried to partition the hard drive so as to be able to install the
    > evaluation disk in one portion, leaving my Home edition well alone.
    >
    > This is what I tried:
    >
    > DISKPART> list disk
    >
    > Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    > -------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
    > Disk 0 Online 114 GB 0 B
    >
    > DISKPART> select disk c
    >
    > The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.
    >
    > DISKPART> select disk 0
    >
    > Disk 0 is now the selected disk.
    >
    > DISKPART> create partition extended [5000]
    >
    > The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.
    >
    > DISKPART> create partition extended 5000
    >
    > The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.
    >
    > DISKPART>
    >
    > As you can see I am trying to allocate 5GB for the Win XP Prof evaluation
    > disk; I tried the drive letter C at first, but MS-DOS seems to call my
    > drive
    > 0 (!!??). So I decided to type that in instead. To no avail, as you can
    > see.
    >
    > Steve
    >


    It looks to me as if your disk 0 has 114GB, all of which is allocated to
    your current C: drive. I don't know if DISKPART can deal with that or not
    as I am unfamiliar with that tool. However, there is no space available to
    create an extended partition. There are other utilities out there which can
    resize an existing partition, or you can backup your C: drive using ghost or
    something like that to some other device, delete and recreate your C: drive
    partition (only smaller), and then restore it. However, it would probably
    be easier to just go pick up a small hard drive and install it in your
    computer, and then load your eval on that drive.

    John R
     
    John R, May 29, 2008
    #7
  8. SteveH

    SteveH Guest

    Yes, I think you're right, John. I'll pick up a small hard drive of 20 or so
    GB and install the disk on that.

    Many thanks for your time.

    Steve

    "John R" wrote:

    >
    > "SteveH" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > Thank you for your replies.
    > >
    > > I have tried to partition the hard drive so as to be able to install the
    > > evaluation disk in one portion, leaving my Home edition well alone.
    > >
    > > This is what I tried:
    > >
    > > DISKPART> list disk
    > >
    > > Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    > > -------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
    > > Disk 0 Online 114 GB 0 B
    > >
    > > DISKPART> select disk c
    > >
    > > The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.
    > >
    > > DISKPART> select disk 0
    > >
    > > Disk 0 is now the selected disk.
    > >
    > > DISKPART> create partition extended [5000]
    > >
    > > The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.
    > >
    > > DISKPART> create partition extended 5000
    > >
    > > The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.
    > >
    > > DISKPART>
    > >
    > > As you can see I am trying to allocate 5GB for the Win XP Prof evaluation
    > > disk; I tried the drive letter C at first, but MS-DOS seems to call my
    > > drive
    > > 0 (!!??). So I decided to type that in instead. To no avail, as you can
    > > see.
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >

    >
    > It looks to me as if your disk 0 has 114GB, all of which is allocated to
    > your current C: drive. I don't know if DISKPART can deal with that or not
    > as I am unfamiliar with that tool. However, there is no space available to
    > create an extended partition. There are other utilities out there which can
    > resize an existing partition, or you can backup your C: drive using ghost or
    > something like that to some other device, delete and recreate your C: drive
    > partition (only smaller), and then restore it. However, it would probably
    > be easier to just go pick up a small hard drive and install it in your
    > computer, and then load your eval on that drive.
    >
    > John R
    >
    >
     
    SteveH, May 29, 2008
    #8
  9. SteveH

    John R Guest

    "SteveH" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Yes, I think you're right, John. I'll pick up a small hard drive of 20 or
    > so
    > GB and install the disk on that.
    >
    > Many thanks for your time.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > "John R" wrote:
    >


    I found a pretty good article on using DISKPART (sorry, I didn't realize at
    the time that this was the native tool). At any rate, it looks like
    shrinking is supported, but I would still make sure I had a real good backup
    of my drive before I did that. (I think I'd still do an add-on drive, it's
    so much more simplistic). At any rate, here is the link...

    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...lternative-in-windows-vista-2000-2003-and-xp/

    John R
     
    John R, May 29, 2008
    #9
  10. SteveH

    John R Guest

    "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > I found a pretty good article on using DISKPART (sorry, I didn't realize
    > at the time that this was the native tool). At any rate, it looks like
    > shrinking is supported, but I would still make sure I had a real good
    > backup of my drive before I did that. (I think I'd still do an add-on
    > drive, it's so much more simplistic). At any rate, here is the link...
    >
    > http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...lternative-in-windows-vista-2000-2003-and-xp/
    >


    Hmmm, the 'shrink querymax' command doesn't seem to work anyway, maybe that
    is a vista enhancement.

    John R
     
    John R, May 29, 2008
    #10
  11. SteveH

    SteveH Guest

    Hello John

    Many thanks for your replies and the link.

    I think 'shrink' does relate mainly to Vista, but in my original command
    line I didn't have this:

    create partition

    I had 'create partition extended'

    so I have downloaded the page you sent and will post back.

    Thanks again

    Steve

    "John R" wrote:

    >
    > "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > >
    > > I found a pretty good article on using DISKPART (sorry, I didn't realize
    > > at the time that this was the native tool). At any rate, it looks like
    > > shrinking is supported, but I would still make sure I had a real good
    > > backup of my drive before I did that. (I think I'd still do an add-on
    > > drive, it's so much more simplistic). At any rate, here is the link...
    > >
    > > http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...lternative-in-windows-vista-2000-2003-and-xp/
    > >

    >
    > Hmmm, the 'shrink querymax' command doesn't seem to work anyway, maybe that
    > is a vista enhancement.
    >
    > John R
    >
    >
    >
     
    SteveH, May 30, 2008
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Silverstrand

    Nikao Dragonfire Case Evaluation

    Silverstrand, Nov 30, 2005, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    732
    Silverstrand
    Nov 30, 2005
  2. Martin Schmid

    XP Evaluation CD?

    Martin Schmid, Jun 30, 2003, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    3,111
    Martin Schmid
    Jul 12, 2003
  3. Tanny

    Evaluation version win 2000 server

    Tanny, Apr 25, 2004, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    516
    peter walker
    Apr 26, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?V2Vz?=

    Windows Server 2003 Evaluation Problem

    =?Utf-8?B?V2Vz?=, May 4, 2004, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    545
    =?Utf-8?B?V2Vz?=
    May 4, 2004
  5. Knut Arvid Keilen

    Credit evaluation problem.

    Knut Arvid Keilen, Aug 27, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    429
    Scraggy
    Aug 27, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page