Europe-Not Imposing Net Neutrality

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by StevieO, Nov 13, 2010.

  1. StevieO

    StevieO Guest

    All Right, Let's Be More Like Europe-They're Not Imposing Net Neutrality
    by Seton Motley
    Europe has of late become a place for We the People of the United States to
    begin in some ways to consider emulating - after decades of it being an
    economic and societal afterthought and punch line.

    The Barack Obama Administration spent its first two years hurtling us
    towards 1970s France - accumulating record debt to fund dubious "stimulus"
    spending and corrupt political payoffs, enacting socialized medicine,
    nationalizing large swaths of various industries and slapping the economy
    with heaping helpings of new regulations.

    And when President Obama headed across the Pond for the G-20 Summit, he
    demanded the Europeans engage in the same profligate spending he had - in
    other words, take his Old Europe medicine - to address the recession.

    This is the Administration, after all, that is the current way station for
    Vice President Joe Biden and his brilliant economic insights - "We have to
    go spend money to keep from going bankrupt."

    But many Europeans wisely responded with "Mr. President, we'll instead
    practice austerity, thank you very much."

    Translation: They've long been doing the government-laden approach, and they
    will now instead try freedom. And in many parts of New Austerity Europe,
    the recession is now just a bad memory - not a continuing crisis.

    Europe is now exhibiting the same good sense with regard to Internet
    policy - specifically the ridiculous notion that is Network Neutrality. It
    is passing on the government-laden approach, and instead (continuing to) try
    freedom.

    At the European Commission and European Parliament Summit on "The Open
    Internet and Net Neutrality in Europe," Neelie Kroes - the commissioner for
    the European Union (EU)'s digital agenda - gave a November 11th speech
    during which she announced that Europe would not be imposing a Net
    Neutrality law.

    Kroes seems to get that Net Neutrality is a solution running around looking
    for a problem - meaning there are very few if any (in the United States -
    ZERO) current Net Neutrality-related complaints lodged anywhere by anyone.
    And unless and until there are, Europe will leave the Internet well enough
    alone.

    "If we encounter significant and persistent problems, I will not be afraid
    to change the law in the future to achieve competition and choice consumers
    deserve."

    Kroes acknowledged that it is the Internet consumers who rule the roost -
    and not the Internet Service Providers (ISPs) as alleged by the pro-Net
    Neutrality gaggle. And if an ISP were to do something their customers didn't
    like, they would let the ISP have it - just as always happens in every other
    facet of the free market. From Cecilia Kang's Washington Post piece:

    (Kroes) also said consumers will guide industry behavior. If a carrier were
    to block Skype, a service Kroes said she uses to call family back home,
    consumers would protest.

    Kroes concludes her speech with what would seem to be an apt description of
    why they are passing on Net Neutrality:

    "I consider that the core of the Internet should remain a robust, best
    effort Internet to which everyone has access (and) I want to leave room for
    future innovation.."

    "Remain a robust, best effort Internet" - which means it is a robust, best
    effort Internet NOW - WITHOUT Net Neutrality emplaced.

    "I want to leave room for future innovation." - innovation which Net
    Neutrality would constrict into oblivion.

    So we say Bravo to Ms. Kroes and the E.U. for making the rational and right
    decision to discard the absurdity that is Net Neutrality.

    And hearty congratulations to all of Europe - who will enjoy an Internet
    that remains free to grow, broaden and be ever increasingly the free speech,
    free market Nirvana that it is and has been - without Net Neutrality in
    place.

    Vive la Liberté. Lebhaft die Freiheit. Bully.

    StevieO, Nov 13, 2010

  2. StevieO

    Tony Guest

    It sure beats the internet in Canada where the isp's become your *mama* and
    *daddy*. They own you, you become the hooker and they're the pimps. Want to sign
    up for nexflix? Well that will be an extra 50 or 60 bucks a month extra on top of
    your subscription price to nexflix a month. We use an eyedropper to dispense your
    bandwidth. Oh wait we changed our mind now there's no ceiling charge on the
    maximum overuse fee. Yup, you'll owe us thousands of dollasr a month just for
    being in the unfortunate country of Canada. The Canadian isp's will ream your
    arse *higher* than a kite.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day on
    the job for potty mouth,

    realm of understandability

    Tony, Nov 13, 2010