    but when I send that post to a newsgroup, it comes out as a question mark.
    What's going on?

    Steve
    shazzbat, Nov 23, 2005

  2. shazzbat

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 20:12:48 -0000, shazzbat wrote:

    >On my keyboard, the figure 4 has a Euro currency sign to the right of the 4.
    >If I type [4 with Alt Gr pressed] in a post, it comes out as a euro sign,
    >but when I send that post to a newsgroup, it comes out as a question mark.

    An example in your post may have been handy in case there were clues to
    see what was happening.

    >What's going on?

    Not all character sets are equal. On screen you see what your
    OS/Country/Regional settings do, when you post the range of allowed
    characters may be different.

    Then again you are using OE.

    Tested to my ISP internal test group, works fine in Agent v2.0 , posting
    and viewing. Using OE6 to view same message I see the ? instead, in the
    preview pane.

    So OE is broken, select the message, properties , details , message
    source , that viewer shows the euro symbol fine. Thus part of OE doesn't
    and another part works.

    Me
    why?, Nov 23, 2005

  3. shazzbat

    Mike Easter Guest

    shazzbat wrote:
    > On my keyboard, the figure 4 has a Euro currency sign to the right of
    > the 4. If I type [4 with Alt Gr pressed] in a post, it comes out as a
    > euro sign, but when I send that post to a newsgroup, it comes out as
    > a question mark. What's going on?

    This is my guess. Well, partly some guess and some I know.

    The euro is ascii char 128, which is beyond 7 bit ascii, which goes
    0-127. There is a lot of variability in the char sets above 127.

    Your newsreader OE is presumably configurable to read in western
    european windows or western european iso in Tools/ Options/ Read tab/
    Fonts and to use that default encoding on all incoming messages.

    Your newsreader OE is configurable to send in the default font in Send/
    International settings, and there are many settings to choose from such
    as west eur win or west eur iso or unicodes UTF 7 ur UTF 8 .

    If you try to send a euro € you will get an alert from OE that you are
    trying to send a character that isn't in your default and that your
    viewer may not be able to read it properly depending upon their display
    condition. You are provided with 3 options, to send as unicode, to send
    as is, or to cancel.

    That will happen when I send this message. When it does, I will choose
    to send as unicode.

    Then, I have another different problem when I want to read it. In order
    to see the euro € that I sent, I will have to configure my Read
    different than I normally have it set. I will have to uncheck use
    default encoding on all incoming messages.

    If I do all of that, I can both send and read the euro in a news message
    on my OE6 system.

    Where I have typed the word 'euro' without the quotes, I have followed
    it with the euro € symbol, which I can enter with hold alt zero one two
    eight release alt on the number keypad.

    Depending upon how I view that symbol, I might see a question mark -- or
    a small a circumflex (ascii 226) + 'not' symbol (ascii 172) [I'll try
    that here ⬠-- or the euro € I intended.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 23, 2005
  4. shazzbat

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Then, I have another different problem when I want to read it. In
    > order to see the euro € that I sent, I will have to configure my Read
    > different than I normally have it set. I will have to uncheck use
    > default encoding on all incoming messages.

    If I uncheck use default encoding on all incoming messages, I can see
    all of these extended chars as described in this par

    > Depending upon how I view that symbol, I might see a question mark --
    > or a small a circumflex (ascii 226) + 'not' symbol (ascii 172) [I'll
    > try that here ⬠-- or the euro € I intended.

    If I leave it checked as is my usual configuration, I can't see the
    euro, but see what the par describes, and I can't see the ascii 226 +
    ascii 172 'correctly'

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 23, 2005