Eudora

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by JohnW, Oct 19, 2006.

  1. JohnW

    JohnW Guest

    Eudora

    Steve Bass column on-line, PC World, Oct 18

    This Just In: Eudora's No More

    First it was Ashton Tate's dBase. Then Wordstar hit the bit bucket.
    And
    now Eudora, the e-mail program I love to hate, will fade into history.

    What, you haven't heard? Qualcomm, the company that originally created
    Eudora for the Mac, has tossed in the towel. They're hooking up with
    Mozilla and going open source. The project, called Penelope, will
    "join
    the Eudora user experience with the Mozilla platform," according to
    the
    Mozilla wiki. Vaguely speaking, that may mean Eudora will look and
    feel
    the same as we know it. But maybe not.

    Eudora has said the open source version will be available by mid-2007,
    and that version will be free. In the meantime, we can use the current
    version (7.1.0.9) in perpetuity. If you're using an older version, or
    the light version, you can also use it forever--or upgrade now for
    $20.

    Read Editor-in-Chief Harry McCracken's blog to see how other Eudora
    users are taking the news: "Eudora Goes Open Source"

    --
    JohnW-Mpls

    JohnW, Oct 19, 2006

  2. JohnW

    Ed Mullen Guest

    http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/002931.html?tk=nl_sbxblg

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Oct 19, 2006

  3. JohnW

    Neon Knight Guest

    JohnW <> wrote in

    > What, you haven't heard? Qualcomm, the company that originally
    > created Eudora for the Mac, has tossed in the towel. They're hooking
    > up with Mozilla and going open source. The project, called Penelope,
    > will "join the Eudora user experience with the Mozilla platform,"

    That's the best thing that could happen to Eudora. No more bloat, start
    fresh.

    Neon Knight, Oct 19, 2006
  4. JohnW

    Snooky Guest

    > That's the best thing that could happen to Eudora. No more bloat, start
    > fresh.

    I used Eudora circa 1995-98. No point using it anymore.

    Snooky, Oct 19, 2006
  5. JohnW

    Adam Guest

    JohnW wrote:
    > Eudora
    >

    > Steve Bass column on-line, PC World, Oct 18
    >
    > This Just In: Eudora's No More
    >
    > First it was Ashton Tate's dBase. Then Wordstar hit the bit bucket.
    > And
    > now Eudora, the e-mail program I love to hate, will fade into history.
    >
    > What, you haven't heard? Qualcomm, the company that originally created
    > Eudora for the Mac, has tossed in the towel. They're hooking up with
    > Mozilla and going open source. The project, called Penelope, will
    > "join
    > the Eudora user experience with the Mozilla platform," according to
    > the
    > Mozilla wiki. Vaguely speaking, that may mean Eudora will look and
    > feel
    > the same as we know it. But maybe not.
    >
    > Eudora has said the open source version will be available by mid-2007,
    > and that version will be free. In the meantime, we can use the current
    > version (7.1.0.9) in perpetuity. If you're using an older version, or
    > the light version, you can also use it forever--or upgrade now for
    > $20.
    >
    > Read Editor-in-Chief Harry McCracken's blog to see how other Eudora
    > users are taking the news: "Eudora Goes Open Source"
    >

    > --
    > JohnW-Mpls

    I have to use Eudora at work and I hate it! Can't say I will shed a tear
    when it's gone. They might now think of getting TB? Wahoo!

    Adam, Oct 19, 2006
  6. On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 06:48:41 GMT, Adam wrote in

    > JohnW wrote:
    >> Eudora
    >>

    >> Steve Bass column on-line, PC World, Oct 18
    >>
    >> This Just In: Eudora's No More
    >>
    >> First it was Ashton Tate's dBase. Then Wordstar hit the
    >> bit bucket. And
    >> now Eudora, the e-mail program I love to hate, will fade
    >> into history.
    >>
    >> What, you haven't heard? Qualcomm, the company that
    >> originally created Eudora for the Mac, has tossed in the
    >> towel. They're hooking up with Mozilla and going open
    >> source. The project, called Penelope, will "join
    >> the Eudora user experience with the Mozilla platform,"
    >> according to the
    >> Mozilla wiki. Vaguely speaking, that may mean Eudora will
    >> look and feel
    >> the same as we know it. But maybe not.
    >>
    >> Eudora has said the open source version will be available
    >> by mid-2007, and that version will be free. In the
    >> meantime, we can use the current version (7.1.0.9) in
    >> perpetuity. If you're using an older version, or the light
    >> version, you can also use it forever--or upgrade now for
    >> $20.
    >>
    >> Read Editor-in-Chief Harry McCracken's blog to see how
    >> other Eudora users are taking the news: "Eudora Goes Open
    >> Source"
    >>

    >> --
    >> JohnW-Mpls
    >>

    > I have to use Eudora at work and I hate it! Can't say I
    > will shed a tear when it's gone. They might now think of
    > getting TB? Wahoo!

    I've used it for years. I've really become used to Eudora's
    filtering capabilities. I, for one, will really miss it.

    I just don't like using suites. Right now I'm using xnews as my
    newsreader. It's been 'orphaned' for several years. But I like
    it. And it's standalone. And it doesn't break.

    Flatus

    Flatus Ohlfahrt, Oct 19, 2006
  7. JohnW

    meregoddess Guest

    I have always used Eudora. The only other email client I have ever used are
    web based, but I LOVE Eudora. Probably because I have never used anything
    else. Ignorance from lack of daring I guess. lol

    What does open source mean?

    I understand that I'll be able to continue to use it, since I have the full
    paid mode right?

    If it is such a bloated program, what is a better email program? I
    absolutely REFUSE to use Outlook Express.

    --
    I am merely a woman with delusions of grandeur, coupled with a severe
    inferiority complex.........

    meregoddess, Oct 21, 2006
  8. JohnW

    Ed Mullen Guest

    meregoddess wrote:
    > I have always used Eudora. The only other email client I have ever used are
    > web based, but I LOVE Eudora. Probably because I have never used anything
    > else. Ignorance from lack of daring I guess. lol
    >
    > What does open source mean?

    http://www.opensource.org/

    Essentially, it refers to software that is open to all to use and
    modify. Linux is one example. Mozilla-based products are another
    <http://www.mozilla.org/about/>.

    > I understand that I'll be able to continue to use it, since I have the full
    > paid mode right?

    Your current version will continue to work as it does now, and well into
    the future. You simply won't beable to get any update for it.

    > If it is such a bloated program, what is a better email program? I
    > absolutely REFUSE to use Outlook Express.

    Mozilla Thunderbird is one option. You could couple that with the
    Firefox browser, also from Mozilla. Another, if you like an all-in-one
    approach, is SeaMonkey which includes email, news, browsing,
    composition, and chat components. See:

    http://www.mozilla.org/products/

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Oct 21, 2006
  9. JohnW

    meregoddess Guest

    Thank you for the response. I already use Firefox, and very rarely use IE
    anymore, even though I downloaded the new 7.0. lol

    I'll give one of the other email programs you mentioned a try. Take a trip
    on the wild side *wink*

    Again, thanks :)

    meregoddess, Oct 22, 2006