    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/06/eu_bins_swpat/

    From the article:-

    "The European Parliament has voted by a massive majority to reject the software
    patents directive, formally known as the Directive on the Patentability of
    Computer Implemented Inventions. The vote to scrap the bill was passed by a
    margin of 648 votes to 14, with 18 abstentions..."

    Like a breath of fresh air..

    Roger_Nickel, Jul 6, 2005

  2. Hi there,

    Roger_Nickel wrote:
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/06/eu_bins_swpat/
    >
    > From the article:-
    >
    > "The European Parliament has voted by a massive majority to reject the
    > software patents directive, formally known as the Directive on the
    > Patentability of Computer Implemented Inventions. The vote to scrap the
    > bill was passed by a margin of 648 votes to 14, with 18 abstentions..."

    An overwhelming victory for everyone using a computer, regardless
    if they use proprietary Windows, or OSS Linux, or anything...

    The only losers are the phat corporates who dreamed this tripe up
    in the first place, but I don't feel much sorrow for them since
    only they would benefit (massively) from the agenda if it were voted
    in...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 6, 2005

  3. On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 09:48:22 +1200, Roger_Nickel <>
    wrote:

    >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/06/eu_bins_swpat/
    >
    > From the article:-
    >
    >"The European Parliament has voted by a massive majority to reject the software
    >patents directive, formally known as the Directive on the Patentability of
    >Computer Implemented Inventions. The vote to scrap the bill was passed by a
    >margin of 648 votes to 14, with 18 abstentions..."
    >
    >Like a breath of fresh air..

    That is excellent news, hopefully thier example will be followed by
    all countries, especially the USA.

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Jul 7, 2005