EU Parliament dumps software patent proposal

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Philip, Jul 6, 2005.

  1. Philip

    Philip Guest

    The Heise group, publishers of the German c't magazine, are repüorting
    that the EU parliament has dumped the proposal for EU software patents.

    Fpr those that read German, here's the story:
    http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/61446

    It should eventually appear in English here:
    http://www.heise.de/english/

    I think this is escellent news. It means there's now a chance to look
    again at the whole issue of intellectual property in computer soft- and
    hardware. It offers a chance to turn away from nonsenses like patenting
    algorithms and equations.

    It supports and protects the activities of the geeks over there in Free
    & Open Software - and it must encouraghe EU countries to develop a
    common patent system that can only help programmers, software companies
    and consumers.

    And it's a marker for New Zealand: the US software patent system, which
    was what lay behind the failed EU proposal, is not the way to go.

    Celebrations all round.

    Philip
    Philip, Jul 6, 2005

  2. Philip

    Peter Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > I think this is escellent news. It means there's now a chance to look
    > again at the whole issue of intellectual property in computer soft- and
    > hardware. It offers a chance to turn away from nonsenses like patenting
    > algorithms and equations.

    Yes, definitely good news for the developers, for the users and for society
    in general. The main losers are the big corporates and their lawyers.
    From C|Net: "While many software developers have spoken out against the
    directive from the start, large companies have lobbied in its favor".

    More coverage ...
    http://news.com.com/Europe rejects patent proposal/2100-1014-5776046.html

    Peter
    Peter, Jul 6, 2005

  3. Philip

    thing Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Philip wrote:
    >
    >>I think this is escellent news. It means there's now a chance to look
    >>again at the whole issue of intellectual property in computer soft- and
    >>hardware. It offers a chance to turn away from nonsenses like patenting
    >>algorithms and equations.

    > Yes, definitely good news for the developers, for the users and for society
    > in general. The main losers are the big corporates and their lawyers.
    > From C|Net: "While many software developers have spoken out against the
    > directive from the start, large companies have lobbied in its favor".
    >
    > More coverage ...
    > http://news.com.com/Europe rejects patent proposal/2100-1014-5776046.html
    > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20050706113609571
    >

    > Peter

    maybe, maybe not. The ones that wanted it eventually voted against it
    because it had so many ammendments crippling it, it would have been no
    advantage to them. So in this case a bad law might have been the best
    protection for us anti-software patents ppl because the big boys couldnt
    have used it as it stood.

    The fight does not look to be over though....time will tell...

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Jul 6, 2005
  4. Philip

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:39:35 +1200, Philip wrote:

    > The Heise group, publishers of the German c't magazine, are repüorting
    > that the EU parliament has dumped the proposal for EU software patents.

    Good to hear.

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Jul 9, 2005