EU Antitrust Case Against Microsoft

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 30, 2009.

  1. Some quite imaginative, not to say fanciful, arguments being put forward
    <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9133634>:

    "Users don't want a computer that comes with 700 default setting
    choices," Liebeler said, adding that PC makers are already aware of
    users' resistance to bundled software, called "crapware" by some wags.

    All the open-source systems on Earth have got this sussed by now; you just
    bring up the package manager, tick a box for the feature you want, and it's
    installed. Change your mind? Untick the box, and it's gone. All necessary
    dependencies are automatically brought in on demand, and can be
    automatically removed when no longer needed, you don't have to worry about
    it.

    ... ACT had claimed earlier this week that the EU's likely remedies
    could break third-party applications written for Windows. "There is a
    significant risk that a broad range of applications written for the
    Windows operating system would be 'broken' by a requirement to remove or
    disable pieces of IE code," ACT said.

    What's the matter, haven't they figured out their build dependencies yet?
    Even if I don't have a prebuilt package for my distro, the source invariably
    includes a "configure" script that checks if my system has everything the
    package needs, and lets me know if not.

    So all these objections are the direct result of limitations in Microsoft
    Windows and the proprietary development ecosystem, nothing more.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 30, 2009