etiquette, smetiquette...

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by wewa, Jul 16, 2005.

  1. wewa

    wewa Guest

    I know, dont laugh.

    Netiquette is a joke on the 'net today. There was some semblance a decade
    ago, but now...

    but i thought i'd mention it anyway...

    Now you can laugh. *<8^D

    This should be a sticky for this newsgroup, for all who signup to read,
    including veterans, it seems...
    http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/IE/community/columns/newsgroups101.mspx
    i like the last topic at the bottom of the page titled "Entering a newsgroup
    for the first time"

    And for you veterans, the 'mastering newsgroups' link in the first paragraph
    is quite handy power user tips i did not utilize, til now!

    This is all new and fresh, published 03/2005.

    Cheers!

    wewa, Jul 16, 2005

    Steve Thompson, Jul 16, 2005

  3. In regards to top posting, it is the default behavior of both Outlook Express
    and the web interface to this newsgroup. Since this is a newsgroup of
    Microsoft OS, I simply assume most posters are using Microsoft tools to
    access and don't know any differently.

    =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbnltb3VzQGRpc2N1c3Npb25zLm1pY3Jvc29m, Jul 16, 2005
  4. wewa

    James Guest

    I for one don't want to have to go scrolling thru a lot of verbiage I may or
    may not want to read to get to the NEW post. If I want to read the previous
    info it is there at the bottom. Probably already read it and don't want to
    go searching for the post.
    ""
    <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:...

    James, Jul 16, 2005

  5. <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > In regards to top posting, it is the default behavior of both Outlook
    > Express and the web interface to this newsgroup. Since this is a
    > newsgroup of Microsoft OS, I simply assume most posters are using
    > Microsoft tools to access and don't know any differently.

    I'm using OE....
    BTW who are you ???? :):)

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy
    (Ruiselede - Belgium)

    Christian Hougardy, Jul 16, 2005
  6. wewa

    Piers James Guest

    I much prefer top posting, because I have in all likelihood read the rest of
    the message and I don't want to scroll through it to find the new post.

    "Steve Thompson" <> wrote in message

    Piers James, Jul 16, 2005
  7. wewa

    Rick Guest

    He's a Comcast cable subscriber in the Portland, Oregon area.

    Rick, Jul 16, 2005
  8. James wrote:

    > I for one don't want to have to go scrolling thru a lot of
    > verbiage I may or may not want to read to get to the NEW post.

    And that's why it's not enough to just answer below 200 lines
    of quoted text. That's almost more annoying than top-posting.
    You also have to cut lines that you don't reply directly to,
    as explained here: <http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post>.

    Quote:
    | When including text from a previous message in the thread, trim
    | it down to include only text pertinent to your response. Your
    | response should appear below the quoted information.

    If it's done properly, you don't have to scroll to read new post.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jul 16, 2005
  9. wewa

    Jed Guest

    If I start reading in the middle of a thread, I have to scroll down
    through all the previous posts to get the context.

    Why do you dislike top posting?

    Seriously, this argument has probably become useless as everyone is
    going to post as they please, but the only logical form of Usenet post
    is the "inline" post where the responder trims out all but what he is
    responding to.

    Aside from the form of the post, top posting leads to an egregious
    lack of trimming causing threads comprising triple digit line posts
    the longer the thread lasts. Just look through this group for threads
    between a couple of top posters to see how they grow to 200 - 300
    lines in each response after a while. A waste of space. I know that's
    not so important anymore with cheap storage but I am still turned off
    by threads consisting of n*100 line responses and will often stop
    reading.

    Jed, Jul 16, 2005
  10. wewa

    Randy Guest

    Steve,

    I've top posted since long before ever using newsgroups via a newsreader,
    back in the days of private (and some public) electronic bulletin board
    systems, including one I ran myself in the early '90s.

    It makes things much easier to read through quickly for those who keep up on
    threads; they needn't wade through everything that was said the previous
    umpteen posts, which gets to be quite a waste of time... similar in
    annoyance factor to those who don't snip the spaghetti (irrelevant or
    redundant info) of previous posts, or those who don't include any quoted
    material for reference at all...

    Get in, get done, get out. No need for wading through that which you've
    already parsed. ;~)

    But not at all done to irritate, so apologies if it does...

    Randy, Jul 16, 2005
  11. wewa

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 07:45:38 -0700, "James" <> wrote:

    >I for one don't want to have to go scrolling thru a lot of verbiage I may or
    >may not want to read to get to the NEW post. If I want to read the previous
    >info it is there at the bottom. Probably already read it and don't want to
    >go searching for the post.

    That's what happens if you don't learn how to quote properly. You just
    showed a sample of it as well!

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jul 16, 2005
  12. Definitely agree with that.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 16, 2005
  13. Same old, same old conversation with the pros & cons...

    I normally top quote unless I reply inline...

    Gary D

    Gary J. Dikkema, Jul 16, 2005

    Steve Thompson, Jul 16, 2005
  15. wewa

    Shane Guest

    > As a general rule, top posting is frowned upon and no other
    > newsgroup, that I know of, tolerates this behaviour but is very common
    > here. It would be nice if that little tid bit was included in the
    > article. Also, inline replies are more appropriate when the OP posts
    > several questions in their main post.

    I was pretty surprised that a flame war hadn't broken out about this. I was
    reading through the posts to see what the community was like and noticed the
    top-posting. Then I noticed that there were no flames. Had I been in a
    Perl , PHP, C++ group, or the like, I am sure many new holes would have been
    ripped.

    You'll notice that I top-posted earlier, just because it seemed to be the
    norm, but it goes against the newsgroup grain in me. I think it would be
    nice to have conformity, at least within the group, if not in newsgroups in
    general.

    Here are some things to consider, history aside: Many of us search
    newsgroups for answers. In fact, if you don't you will often eat a healthy
    dose of canned heat and be pointed to the FAQ of the group. When searching
    via, say, Google groups (formerly Deja, etc) you don't want to have to read
    every message from the beginning. Someone mentioned that top posting is
    great for those who "keep up" with the newsgroup. I would suggest that
    those who "keep up" are only a small percentage of the audience for a
    particular message. The rest would like to see the message in a logical
    order.

    Having said that, I'm a go with the flow kind of guy (hence my earlier top
    post) and will just play nice with others in hopes that we can help each
    other out.

    Shane

    Shane, Jul 17, 2005

    Shane wrote:
    >>As a general rule, top posting is frowned upon and no other
    >>newsgroup, that I know of, tolerates this behaviour but is very common
    >>here. It would be nice if that little tid bit was included in the
    >>article. Also, inline replies are more appropriate when the OP posts
    >>several questions in their main post.

    > I was pretty surprised that a flame war hadn't broken out about this. I was
    > reading through the posts to see what the community was like and noticed the
    > top-posting. Then I noticed that there were no flames. Had I been in a
    > Perl , PHP, C++ group, or the like, I am sure many new holes would have been
    > ripped.
    >
    > You'll notice that I top-posted earlier, just because it seemed to be the
    > norm, but it goes against the newsgroup grain in me. I think it would be
    > nice to have conformity, at least within the group, if not in newsgroups in
    > general.
    >
    > Here are some things to consider, history aside: Many of us search
    > newsgroups for answers. In fact, if you don't you will often eat a healthy
    > dose of canned heat and be pointed to the FAQ of the group. When searching
    > via, say, Google groups (formerly Deja, etc) you don't want to have to read
    > every message from the beginning. Someone mentioned that top posting is
    > great for those who "keep up" with the newsgroup. I would suggest that
    > those who "keep up" are only a small percentage of the audience for a
    > particular message. The rest would like to see the message in a logical
    > order.
    >
    > Having said that, I'm a go with the flow kind of guy (hence my earlier top
    > post) and will just play nice with others in hopes that we can help each
    > other out.
    >
    > Shane

    Hello Shane,

    Yeah, I remember years ago, I started a few posts in comp.lang.c and
    made a few replies by top posting; even after being warned. Needless to
    say, I learned my lesson after being pointed to the FAQ and being reamed
    out by some of the regulars there. They just don't go for that kind of
    non sense.

    Most of the blame has to go to OE because that's the way OE is. I have
    since converted to Thunderbird as my main news reader to eliminate that
    problem.

    If anyone here has an inkling to post to comp.lang.c, you better be
    donning your asbestos underwear.

    Cheers,

    - --

    Steve Thompson, Jul 17, 2005
  17. Steve Thompson <> wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >>> As a general rule, top posting is frowned upon and no other
    >>> newsgroup, that I know of, tolerates this behaviour but is very
    >>> common here. It would be nice if that little tid bit was included
    >>> in the article. Also, inline replies are more appropriate when the
    >>> OP posts several questions in their main post.

    >> I was pretty surprised that a flame war hadn't broken out about
    >> this. I was reading through the posts to see what the community was
    >> like and noticed the top-posting. Then I noticed that there were no
    >> flames. Had I been in a Perl , PHP, C++ group, or the like, I am
    >> sure many new holes would have been ripped.
    >>

    > Hello Shane,
    >

    > If anyone here has an inkling to post to comp.lang.c, you better be
    > donning your asbestos underwear.
    >

    > Cheers,
    >
    > - --

    Hi guys,

    I don't really like top posting but whatever, the point of this newsgroup is
    to help people having problems with x64, not to start a flame war about top
    posting.
    I'm not a usenet guru, if you feel comfortable with top posting, be it, as
    far as the answer you give helps people :)

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy
    (Ruiselede - Belgium)

    Christian Hougardy \(MS XP MVP\), Jul 17, 2005

    Steve Thompson, Jul 17, 2005
  19. wewa

    Shane Guest

    > I don't really like top posting but whatever, the point of this newsgroup
    > is to help people having problems with x64, not to start a flame war about
    > top posting.
    > I'm not a usenet guru, if you feel comfortable with top posting, be it, as
    > far as the answer you give helps people :)
    >
    > Cheers
    > --
    > Christian Hougardy

    I hope I didn't come off as rude. Although I did sort of type a couple of
    things out of order. hehe. I think this is actually a very friendly group,
    and if nobody has flamed for top-posting yet, it's not going to happen,
    thank goodness. I think a friendly suggestion is always in order, but
    nobody in this group is sounding forceful. Please don't take my comments as
    inciting a flame war. I'm no troll. In fact, I'm a happy camper, getting
    my questions answered by a ton of people. :)

    HAPPY happy HAPPY happy - anyone seen Zoolander? hehe

    Shane

    Shane, Jul 18, 2005
  20. Shane <> wrote:

    > I hope I didn't come off as rude. Although I did sort of type a
    > couple of things out of order. hehe. I think this is actually a
    > very friendly group, and if nobody has flamed for top-posting yet,
    > it's not going to happen, thank goodness. I think a friendly
    > suggestion is always in order, but nobody in this group is sounding
    > forceful. Please don't take my comments as inciting a flame war. I'm no
    > troll. In fact, I'm a happy camper, getting my questions
    > answered by a ton of people. :)
    > HAPPY happy HAPPY happy - anyone seen Zoolander? hehe
    >
    > Shane

    No, never mind. No problem with me anyway :)

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy
    (Ruiselede - Belgium)

    Christian Hougardy \(MS XP MVP\), Jul 18, 2005