Ethiopia

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Plato, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. Plato

    Plato Guest

    In todays email. Opinions?


    "I found your website very help full. Am willing to donate $100 to the
    service that you are giving. Currently I leave in Ethiopia. There is no
    way to send you the donation electronic unless I send you the money
    through Post. I look forward to hearing from you soon."
     
    Plato, Apr 29, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Plato

    Robert Baer Guest

    Plato wrote:
    >
    > In todays email. Opinions?
    >
    > "I found your website very help full. Am willing to donate $100 to the
    > service that you are giving. Currently I leave in Ethiopia. There is no
    > way to send you the donation electronic unless I send you the money
    > through Post. I look forward to hearing from you soon."


    I am a bit puzzled; the wording, i guess.
    It seems to say that this Ethiopian might send money but not some
    electronic device?
    That he will send money first and then the electronic item (whatever
    it is supposed to be) later?
    Then have him send a Western Union Money Order; bank wire transfers
    are relatively expensive and may be subject to disastor...
     
    Robert Baer, Apr 29, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Plato

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Plato wrote:

    > In todays email. Opinions?
    >
    >
    > "I found your website very help full. Am willing to donate $100 to the
    > service that you are giving. Currently I leave in Ethiopia. There is no
    > way to send you the donation electronic unless I send you the money
    > through Post. I look forward to hearing from you soon."


    I had a similar email Plato, now deleted unfortunately, so I can not
    compare headers.

    It basically said the same thing, but the fact I did not have a website
    at the time made me suspect that something might be a little fishy.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
     
    Oldus Fartus, Apr 29, 2004
    #3
  4. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Oldus Fartus wrote:
    >
    > I had a similar email Plato, now deleted unfortunately, so I can not
    > compare headers.
    >
    > It basically said the same thing, but the fact I did not have a website
    > at the time made me suspect that something might be a little fishy.


    grin, a "little" fishy? lol

    I was just wondering how big this scam was or if it was just intended
    for me.
     
    Plato, Apr 29, 2004
    #4
  5. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    > I am a bit puzzled; the wording, i guess.
    > It seems to say that this Ethiopian might send money but not some
    > electronic device?
    > That he will send money first and then the electronic item (whatever
    > it is supposed to be) later?
    > Then have him send a Western Union Money Order; bank wire transfers
    > are relatively expensive and may be subject to disastor...


    I think I'm going to let him charge my credit card for $25 so he knows
    he can trust me, then he will send me the $100 as promised.

    :)
     
    Plato, Apr 29, 2004
    #5
  6. Plato

    Robert Baer Guest

    Plato wrote:
    >
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    > >
    > > I am a bit puzzled; the wording, i guess.
    > > It seems to say that this Ethiopian might send money but not some
    > > electronic device?
    > > That he will send money first and then the electronic item (whatever
    > > it is supposed to be) later?
    > > Then have him send a Western Union Money Order; bank wire transfers
    > > are relatively expensive and may be subject to disastor...

    >
    > I think I'm going to let him charge my credit card for $25 so he knows
    > he can trust me, then he will send me the $100 as promised.
    >
    > :)


    Impossible to limit a charge to your credit card, other thanthe daily
    limit.
    Multiply the typical daily limit by the number of days in a month for
    possible damage to your financial status, which could take up to 10
    years to recover...
     
    Robert Baer, May 1, 2004
    #6
  7. Plato

    Robert Baer Guest

    Plato wrote:
    >
    > Oldus Fartus wrote:
    > >
    > > I had a similar email Plato, now deleted unfortunately, so I can not
    > > compare headers.
    > >
    > > It basically said the same thing, but the fact I did not have a website
    > > at the time made me suspect that something might be a little fishy.

    >
    > grin, a "little" fishy? lol
    >
    > I was just wondering how big this scam was or if it was just intended
    > for me.


    You were probably a randomlt chosen victum.
     
    Robert Baer, May 1, 2004
    #7
  8. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    > > I think I'm going to let him charge my credit card for $25 so he knows
    > > he can trust me, then he will send me the $100 as promised.
    > >
    > > :)

    >
    > Impossible to limit a charge to your credit card, other thanthe daily
    > limit.
    > Multiply the typical daily limit by the number of days in a month for
    > possible damage to your financial status, which could take up to 10
    > years to recover...


    I was just kidding of course. As an aside, I usually, just for the fun
    of it, keep about 10 other credit cards just in case. I generally dont
    use them and/or forget to activate them so about a month ago I found out
    I was out of "extras". So I started signing up
    for every new offer that came in the mail I have, so far, a half dozen
    new ones now.

    Anyway, since I do give my real phone number when signing up for a new
    card I get
    sales calls from the company asking me if I want to sign up for
    "protection". It's a
    silly thing to go for, as if my .sig is not on a charge I'm not liable
    for it anyway.
    Its up to the credit card company to check. EVERY TIME I TELL THE
    SALESPERSON about this
    they always agree. OK I back them into a corner but so what.

    Both I and my wife have had charges to our cards by other people.
    Usually right after a hotel/motel stay. You're liable for a penny. If
    the credit card company doesn't want
    to check .sigs than that's their problem. Sad thing is that the vender
    who shipped the
    goods is the one who really gets ripped off. The credit card company
    doesn't lose a penny either.
     
    Plato, May 2, 2004
    #8
  9. Plato

    Brandy Guest

    I'm surprised noone else noticed this, but I read that to be like he wants
    to send a donation or something, and can't do it via electronic transfer
    through the bank, so he wants to mail a check, money order, or something
    like that. Maybe he is uninformed about the possibility of paypal or
    something, maybe those services aren't available where he's at. Maybe I'm
    wrong, I have no idea what site you have, what it does, or why he'd want to
    send money, but you could set up a PO box, only costs $20 for 6 months, and
    give him that addy to send money to. Post the address and maybe we'll send
    you money too! ;)

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    news:4094b15d$0$43018$...
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    > >
    > > > I think I'm going to let him charge my credit card for $25 so he knows
    > > > he can trust me, then he will send me the $100 as promised.
    > > >
    > > > :)

    > >
    > > Impossible to limit a charge to your credit card, other thanthe daily
    > > limit.
    > > Multiply the typical daily limit by the number of days in a month for
    > > possible damage to your financial status, which could take up to 10
    > > years to recover...

    >
    > I was just kidding of course. As an aside, I usually, just for the fun
    > of it, keep about 10 other credit cards just in case. I generally dont
    > use them and/or forget to activate them so about a month ago I found out
    > I was out of "extras". So I started signing up
    > for every new offer that came in the mail I have, so far, a half dozen
    > new ones now.
    >
    > Anyway, since I do give my real phone number when signing up for a new
    > card I get
    > sales calls from the company asking me if I want to sign up for
    > "protection". It's a
    > silly thing to go for, as if my .sig is not on a charge I'm not liable
    > for it anyway.
    > Its up to the credit card company to check. EVERY TIME I TELL THE
    > SALESPERSON about this
    > they always agree. OK I back them into a corner but so what.
    >
    > Both I and my wife have had charges to our cards by other people.
    > Usually right after a hotel/motel stay. You're liable for a penny. If
    > the credit card company doesn't want
    > to check .sigs than that's their problem. Sad thing is that the vender
    > who shipped the
    > goods is the one who really gets ripped off. The credit card company
    > doesn't lose a penny either.
     
    Brandy, May 2, 2004
    #9
  10. Plato

    Robert Baer Guest

    Plato wrote:
    >
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    > >
    > > > I think I'm going to let him charge my credit card for $25 so he knows
    > > > he can trust me, then he will send me the $100 as promised.
    > > >
    > > > :)

    > >
    > > Impossible to limit a charge to your credit card, other thanthe daily
    > > limit.
    > > Multiply the typical daily limit by the number of days in a month for
    > > possible damage to your financial status, which could take up to 10
    > > years to recover...

    >
    > I was just kidding of course. As an aside, I usually, just for the fun
    > of it, keep about 10 other credit cards just in case. I generally dont
    > use them and/or forget to activate them so about a month ago I found out
    > I was out of "extras". So I started signing up
    > for every new offer that came in the mail I have, so far, a half dozen
    > new ones now.
    >
    > Anyway, since I do give my real phone number when signing up for a new
    > card I get
    > sales calls from the company asking me if I want to sign up for
    > "protection". It's a
    > silly thing to go for, as if my .sig is not on a charge I'm not liable
    > for it anyway.
    > Its up to the credit card company to check. EVERY TIME I TELL THE
    > SALESPERSON about this
    > they always agree. OK I back them into a corner but so what.
    >
    > Both I and my wife have had charges to our cards by other people.
    > Usually right after a hotel/motel stay. You're liable for a penny. If
    > the credit card company doesn't want
    > to check .sigs than that's their problem. Sad thing is that the vender
    > who shipped the
    > goods is the one who really gets ripped off. The credit card company
    > doesn't lose a penny either.


    So far, i have not had any fraudlent charges on any of my credit cards
    - except..
    ...Except fraudlent charges by Verisign and by Earthlink.
    In each case i terminated the card and refused to give a current one.
    Earthlink bitches every month concerning an invalid credit card.
    Since i was paid up for about 8 months of service after i terminated
    my credit card, i gave them a quick accounting of their frauds and
    attempted frauds and *told* them that they will continue to bill me via
    e-mail and that it would not be in their best interest to charge me $2
    for Snail billing or in any other way to diddle my account.
    I went thru this hassle every month and after 3 or so times i sent
    them an impolite letter telling them to back off, and that i had about
    1/8 inch of documetation showing their garbage - and that my lawyer had
    a copy.
    Sheets of documentation (their hassling e-mails) get added every
    month.
    This month i got tired of that, and marked their e-mails as SPAM in
    their web-mail service (which i use exclusively to filter their
    filtering).
     
    Robert Baer, May 3, 2004
    #10
  11. Plato

    Robert Baer Guest

    Brandy wrote:
    >
    > I'm surprised noone else noticed this, but I read that to be like he wants
    > to send a donation or something, and can't do it via electronic transfer
    > through the bank, so he wants to mail a check, money order, or something
    > like that. Maybe he is uninformed about the possibility of paypal or
    > something, maybe those services aren't available where he's at. Maybe I'm
    > wrong, I have no idea what site you have, what it does, or why he'd want to
    > send money, but you could set up a PO box, only costs $20 for 6 months, and
    > give him that addy to send money to. Post the address and maybe we'll send
    > you money too! ;)
    >
    > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > news:4094b15d$0$43018$...
    > > Robert Baer wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > I think I'm going to let him charge my credit card for $25 so he knows
    > > > > he can trust me, then he will send me the $100 as promised.
    > > > >
    > > > > :)
    > > >
    > > > Impossible to limit a charge to your credit card, other thanthe daily
    > > > limit.
    > > > Multiply the typical daily limit by the number of days in a month for
    > > > possible damage to your financial status, which could take up to 10
    > > > years to recover...

    > >
    > > I was just kidding of course. As an aside, I usually, just for the fun
    > > of it, keep about 10 other credit cards just in case. I generally dont
    > > use them and/or forget to activate them so about a month ago I found out
    > > I was out of "extras". So I started signing up
    > > for every new offer that came in the mail I have, so far, a half dozen
    > > new ones now.
    > >
    > > Anyway, since I do give my real phone number when signing up for a new
    > > card I get
    > > sales calls from the company asking me if I want to sign up for
    > > "protection". It's a
    > > silly thing to go for, as if my .sig is not on a charge I'm not liable
    > > for it anyway.
    > > Its up to the credit card company to check. EVERY TIME I TELL THE
    > > SALESPERSON about this
    > > they always agree. OK I back them into a corner but so what.
    > >
    > > Both I and my wife have had charges to our cards by other people.
    > > Usually right after a hotel/motel stay. You're liable for a penny. If
    > > the credit card company doesn't want
    > > to check .sigs than that's their problem. Sad thing is that the vender
    > > who shipped the
    > > goods is the one who really gets ripped off. The credit card company
    > > doesn't lose a penny either.


    I believe that i stated that a bank wire transfer ("electronic
    transfer" is what you called it) has some problems:
    1) It is expensive - typically $36 for transfer from here to a foreign
    bank; i suspect the rate would be equivalent at minimum going the other
    way.
    2) There is *NO* guarantee that the money will get where you state (bank
    info and personal account info is required).
    So, one must not only pay a premium to wire transfer money, the money
    goes out and could completely dissapear!
    I have done this (sent money to someone in Ethipoia), so i speak from
    experience.
     
    Robert Baer, May 3, 2004
    #11
  12. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    > So far, i have not had any fraudlent charges on any of my credit cards
    > - except..
    > ..Except fraudlent charges by Verisign and by Earthlink.
    > In each case i terminated the card and refused to give a current one.


    I remember back in /95 signing up for the $5/month MSN dialup. I couldnt
    cancel it ie the links to cancel never worked so I cancelled the credit
    card they were charging. Lo and behold, MS found another credit card I
    had and started charging _it_. Easy to fix tho, I just sent a letter to
    that card and said it was fraud. Pretty sneakie on ms's part tho eh?
     
    Plato, May 3, 2004
    #12
  13. Plato

    Robert Baer Guest

    Plato wrote:
    >
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    > >
    > > So far, i have not had any fraudlent charges on any of my credit cards
    > > - except..
    > > ..Except fraudlent charges by Verisign and by Earthlink.
    > > In each case i terminated the card and refused to give a current one.

    >
    > I remember back in /95 signing up for the $5/month MSN dialup. I couldnt
    > cancel it ie the links to cancel never worked so I cancelled the credit
    > card they were charging. Lo and behold, MS found another credit card I
    > had and started charging _it_. Easy to fix tho, I just sent a letter to
    > that card and said it was fraud. Pretty sneakie on ms's part tho eh?


    "honest" is the first term i thought of.
    Too bad the credit card company did not drag them into Federal
    Court...
     
    Robert Baer, May 4, 2004
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.

Share This Page