    because they want to stream the audio, I am wanting something that will
    just show as a soundcard that any app can output too, like the new
    player from allofmp3.com, mediaplayer, iturds, and flash etc.
    Richard, Oct 19, 2006

  2. In message <45374732$>, Richard wrote:

    > Looking for something to plug into the stereo to send audio to it from
    > the laptop.

    How about a simple lead from the output on your laptop into a line-in on
    your stereo?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 19, 2006

  3. Richard

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-10-19, Richard <> wrote:
    > Looking for something to plug into the stereo to send audio to it from
    > the laptop.

    plug an FM transmitter into the laptop's audio out.

    > Not interested in things that need a device connected to the
    > computer.

    ok, not the FM transmitter then...

    If fact what you ask is impossible. You need some sort of connection!

    I'm going to assume you mean it must use existing waireless capabilities of
    the laptop... but you don't mention what can it do? infrared? bluetooth?
    wifi (and which)?

    > Thinks like the slim and the soundbridge are not quite what I want,
    > because they want to stream the audio, I am wanting something that will
    > just show as a soundcard that any app can output too, like the new
    > player from allofmp3.com, mediaplayer, iturds, and flash etc.

    If you absolutely must not attach anything to the laptop you'll need a
    streaming driver that looks like a soundcard to the operating system.
    and suitable hardware that can communicate with the laptop...

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Oct 19, 2006
  4. Richard

    Earl Grey Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Looking for something to plug into the stereo to send audio to it from
    > the laptop. Not interested in things that need a device connected to the
    > computer.
    >
    > Thinks like the slim and the soundbridge are not quite what I want,
    > because they want to stream the audio, I am wanting something that will
    > just show as a soundcard that any app can output too, like the new
    > player from allofmp3.com, mediaplayer, iturds, and flash etc.

    I don't know anything off the shelf, but I can make that happen by using
    oddcast on the laptop to output my soundcard signal as a stream, then
    use my Hauppauge MediaMVP and the mvpmc firmware as a receiver.
    I boot the mediamvp from the Hauppauge software with the mvpmc
    dongle.bin kernel and it operates as a thin client with http web
    interface, so you can use it without a tv.
    It sounds complex but it's not.
    http://www.mvpmc.org/index.php?pg=main
    http://www.oddsock.org/tools/oddcastv2_wa2/

    mvpmc also operates as a squeezebox client so I can use it with slimserver.
    Earl Grey, Oct 19, 2006
  5. Richard

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Looking for something to plug into the stereo to send audio to it from
    > the laptop. Not interested in things that need a device connected to the
    > computer.
    >
    > Thinks like the slim and the soundbridge are not quite what I want,
    > because they want to stream the audio, I am wanting something that will
    > just show as a soundcard that any app can output too, like the new
    > player from allofmp3.com, mediaplayer, iturds, and flash etc.

    Airport Express.

    Works fine with Windows, but may not play nicely with those apps - apart
    from iTunes of course (although I think there is cheap 3rd party
    software that sorts that problem). Also can be used as an WiFi access point.

    I use

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4537e32a00e640302741c0a87f9906ba/Product/View/XH1927

    (or search for XH1927)

    Works for me. Simple, cheap, gives household coverage to multiple stereos.
    -=rjh=-, Oct 19, 2006
  6. Richard

    David Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <45374732$>, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Looking for something to plug into the stereo to send audio to it from
    >> the laptop.

    > How about a simple lead from the output on your laptop into a line-in on
    > your stereo?

    Maybe he only has one computer (the laptop) and wants to listen to music
    and doesn't want to be connected to his stereo by a 1 metre lead.
    Apple sells a thingy that lets you do this, 'Airport Express'. It's a
    little plug thingy that you plug into an AC socket, and it has a line
    out connection. Connect this to your stereo, then you can configure it
    from your laptop. I don't know how good the quality is, but it should be
    as good as, if not better than your laptop, from experience laptop
    line-out quality is crap.
    David, Oct 21, 2006
  7. Richard

    Earl Grey Guest

    David wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <45374732$>, Richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Looking for something to plug into the stereo to send audio to it from
    >>> the laptop.

    >> How about a simple lead from the output on your laptop into a line-in on
    >> your stereo?

    > Maybe he only has one computer (the laptop) and wants to listen to music
    > and doesn't want to be connected to his stereo by a 1 metre lead.
    > Apple sells a thingy that lets you do this, 'Airport Express'. It's a
    > little plug thingy that you plug into an AC socket, and it has a line
    > out connection. Connect this to your stereo, then you can configure it
    > from your laptop. I don't know how good the quality is, but it should be
    > as good as, if not better than your laptop, from experience laptop
    > line-out quality is crap.

    The Airport Express is an itunes client though, not an output for any
    other applications.
    To do what he wants he would need to output the sound that would
    normally come from the laptop out from other apps as well as itunes.
    Earl Grey, Oct 21, 2006
  8. In message <ehc7gu$vr1$>, David wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <45374732$>, Richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Looking for something to plug into the stereo to send audio to it from
    >>> the laptop.

    >> How about a simple lead from the output on your laptop into a line-in on
    >> your stereo?

    > Maybe he only has one computer (the laptop) and wants to listen to music
    > and doesn't want to be connected to his stereo by a 1 metre lead.

    You can get longer extension leads. I have a few that I can run between my
    living room and my office.

    Of course, then you might hit the problem of ground loops between power
    outlets in different rooms...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2006
  9. Richard

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> How about a simple lead from the output on your laptop into a line-in on
    >>> your stereo?

    >> Maybe he only has one computer (the laptop) and wants to listen to
    >> music and doesn't want to be connected to his stereo by a 1 metre lead.
    >> Apple sells a thingy that lets you do this, 'Airport Express'. It's a
    >> little plug thingy that you plug into an AC socket, and it has a line
    >> out connection. Connect this to your stereo, then you can configure it
    >> from your laptop. I don't know how good the quality is, but it should
    >> be as good as, if not better than your laptop, from experience laptop
    >> line-out quality is crap.

    > The Airport Express is an itunes client though, not an output for any
    > other applications.
    > To do what he wants he would need to output the sound that would
    > normally come from the laptop out from other apps as well as itunes.

    As I said in my post suggesting Airport Express earlier, there is 3rd
    party software that sorts that problem.

    It's Airfoil, from Rogue Amoeba.

    http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/windows/

    There are Mac and Windows versions; a friend has the Mac version and
    finds it is very good. It isn't expensive.

    Airport Express can often be bought on Trademe at reasonable prices
    ($150-$200)
    -=rjh=-, Oct 21, 2006
  10. Richard

    Earl Grey Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >> David wrote:

    >>> Maybe he only has one computer (the laptop) and wants to listen to
    >>> music and doesn't want to be connected to his stereo by a 1 metre lead.
    >>> Apple sells a thingy that lets you do this, 'Airport Express'. It's a
    >>> little plug thingy that you plug into an AC socket, and it has a line
    >>> out connection. Connect this to your stereo, then you can configure
    >>> it from your laptop. I don't know how good the quality is, but it
    >>> should be as good as, if not better than your laptop, from experience
    >>> laptop line-out quality is crap.

    >> The Airport Express is an itunes client though, not an output for any
    >> other applications.
    >> To do what he wants he would need to output the sound that would
    >> normally come from the laptop out from other apps as well as itunes.

    > As I said in my post suggesting Airport Express earlier, there is 3rd
    > party software that sorts that problem.
    >
    > It's Airfoil, from Rogue Amoeba.
    >
    > http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/windows/
    >
    > There are Mac and Windows versions; a friend has the Mac version and
    > finds it is very good. It isn't expensive.
    >
    > Airport Express can often be bought on Trademe at reasonable prices
    > ($150-$200)

    Thanks for the link, its made that Airport Express a much more
    desireable device.
    Earl Grey, Oct 21, 2006
  11. Richard

    Earl Grey Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >> David wrote:

    >>> Maybe he only has one computer (the laptop) and wants to listen to
    >>> music and doesn't want to be connected to his stereo by a 1 metre lead.
    >>> Apple sells a thingy that lets you do this, 'Airport Express'. It's a
    >>> little plug thingy that you plug into an AC socket, and it has a line
    >>> out connection. Connect this to your stereo, then you can configure
    >>> it from your laptop. I don't know how good the quality is, but it
    >>> should be as good as, if not better than your laptop, from experience
    >>> laptop line-out quality is crap.

    >> The Airport Express is an itunes client though, not an output for any
    >> other applications.
    >> To do what he wants he would need to output the sound that would
    >> normally come from the laptop out from other apps as well as itunes.

    > As I said in my post suggesting Airport Express earlier, there is 3rd
    > party software that sorts that problem.
    >
    > It's Airfoil, from Rogue Amoeba.
    >
    > http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/windows/
    >
    > There are Mac and Windows versions; a friend has the Mac version and
    > finds it is very good. It isn't expensive.
    >
    > Airport Express can often be bought on Trademe at reasonable prices
    > ($150-$200)

    I see this one on trademe too, which would do the trick

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Networking-modems/Wireless-networking/auction-74736900.htm
    Earl Grey, Oct 22, 2006
  12. Richard

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >> Earl Grey wrote:

    >>> The Airport Express is an itunes client though, not an output for any
    >>> other applications.
    >>> To do what he wants he would need to output the sound that would
    >>> normally come from the laptop out from other apps as well as itunes.

    >> As I said in my post suggesting Airport Express earlier, there is 3rd
    >> party software that sorts that problem.
    >>
    >> It's Airfoil, from Rogue Amoeba.
    >>
    >> http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/windows/
    >>
    >> There are Mac and Windows versions; a friend has the Mac version and
    >> finds it is very good. It isn't expensive.
    >>
    >> Airport Express can often be bought on Trademe at reasonable prices
    >> ($150-$200)

    > I see this one on trademe too, which would do the trick
    >
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Networking-modems/Wireless-networking/auction-74736900.htm

    There are probably others, too, but many of these types of devices are
    intended to only stream music, unlike the example you've linked to,
    which looks pretty good.

    But I'd still get an Airport Express, they really are quite impressive;
    small, stylish and discrete. Also has optical audio out, USB for
    printing, ethernet too. One of Apple's best kept secrets :)
    -=rjh=-, Oct 22, 2006
  13. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > You can get longer extension leads. I have a few that I can run between my
    > living room and my office.
    >
    > Of course, then you might hit the problem of ground loops between power
    > outlets in different rooms...

    I am wanting to do it wirelessley or the worst case use the existing
    ethernet cabling. I dont want anything else attached to the laptop or
    sticking out of a usb port where it will get broken off etc when moved
    around.

    Its looking like the airport express is the most viable option at this
    stage with 3rd party software.
    Richard, Oct 22, 2006
  14. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Oct 22, 2006
  15. Richard

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> I use
    >>
    >> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4537e32a00e640302741c0a87f9906ba/Product/View/XH1927
    >>

    >> (or search for XH1927)
    >>
    >> Works for me. Simple, cheap, gives household coverage to multiple
    >> stereos.

    > All its output channels have existing fm stations on it, so would have
    > to try to drown them out, plus I dont want to have to have a radio where
    > its streaming too, just a pair of active speakers or a stereo system.

    Fair enough, I was really just suggesting an alternative that you might
    not have otherwise considered. I like the FM transmitter because I can
    use it anywhere in the house and garden with a personal FM radio (like
    my Sansa), but it sounds just fine on a stereo with tuner, too, or even
    on a portable radio, which is what I use in the garage.

    Sounds like my first suggestion will do what you want, though. A friend
    of mine uses 2 Airport Express to pipe music around the house, it really
    is an excellent product. He has no problems playing different audio on
    each of the two Airports and the Mac he uses to control everything.

    I do a similar thing on my PC, by using a separate audio output device
    for the FM, I can determine just which applications play to remote
    devices, so system sounds, games etc don't get transmitted. The "new
    mail" sound, however, does get transmitted, which is really quite useful :)
    -=rjh=-, Oct 22, 2006
  16. Richard

    Richard Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    >> I see this one on trademe too, which would do the trick
    >>
    >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Networking-modems/Wireless-networking/auction-74736900.htm
    >>

    > There are probably others, too, but many of these types of devices are
    > intended to only stream music, unlike the example you've linked to,
    > which looks pretty good.
    >
    > But I'd still get an Airport Express, they really are quite impressive;
    > small, stylish and discrete. Also has optical audio out, USB for
    > printing, ethernet too. One of Apple's best kept secrets :)

    Still really expensive for what they are however.

    I would rather the linksys then the apple since it doesnt rely on other
    software so its a one stop gripe place if it doesnt work properly. Plus
    from what I have seen of the airport express documentation its another
    accesspoint rather then simply being a client off the existing one.

    I'm now thinking that hacking a set of bluetooth stereo headphones may
    be a more valid option, authough with reduced range and it must use some
    sort of compression to fit stereo audio thru bluetooth and I cant find
    any details of exactly what it does.
    Richard, Oct 23, 2006
  17. Richard

    Earl Grey Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >>> I see this one on trademe too, which would do the trick
    >>>
    >>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Networking-modems/Wireless-networking/auction-74736900.htm
    >>>

    >> There are probably others, too, but many of these types of devices are
    >> intended to only stream music, unlike the example you've linked to,
    >> which looks pretty good.
    >>
    >> But I'd still get an Airport Express, they really are quite
    >> impressive; small, stylish and discrete. Also has optical audio out,
    >> USB for printing, ethernet too. One of Apple's best kept secrets :)

    > Still really expensive for what they are however.
    >
    > I would rather the linksys then the apple since it doesnt rely on other
    > software so its a one stop gripe place if it doesnt work properly. Plus
    > from what I have seen of the airport express documentation its another
    > accesspoint rather then simply being a client off the existing one.
    >
    > I'm now thinking that hacking a set of bluetooth stereo headphones may
    > be a more valid option, authough with reduced range and it must use some
    > sort of compression to fit stereo audio thru bluetooth and I cant find
    > any details of exactly what it does.

    There are various 2.4GHz audio senders that you might consider.
    Jaycar have them
    Earl Grey, Oct 23, 2006
  18. Richard

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >>> I see this one on trademe too, which would do the trick
    >>>
    >>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Networking-modems/Wireless-networking/auction-74736900.htm
    >>>

    >> There are probably others, too, but many of these types of devices are
    >> intended to only stream music, unlike the example you've linked to,
    >> which looks pretty good.
    >>
    >> But I'd still get an Airport Express, they really are quite
    >> impressive; small, stylish and discrete. Also has optical audio out,
    >> USB for printing, ethernet too. One of Apple's best kept secrets :)

    > Still really expensive for what they are however.

    Not sure that the extra ~$30 is what I'd call expensive, but I don't
    know what your budget is.

    > I would rather the linksys then the apple since it doesnt rely on other
    > software so its a one stop gripe place if it doesnt work properly.

    Well - your decision of course, but I've used and seen the Airports in
    action, and I'm very impressed.

    But from what I've been seeing in reviews of the earlier generation
    media centre/extender devices built by the likes of Linksys, D-Link,
    Netgear etc, I'd say there is a fair chance they won't work properly.
    Even the magazines were pretty lukewarm, and some of the user reports
    were pretty damning. I'd be very careful and check out the forums to see
    what the current state is.

    There must almost certainly be someone in this ng who has one of these
    devices, maybe they are away for the weekend?

    Plus
    > from what I have seen of the airport express documentation its another
    > accesspoint rather then simply being a client off the existing one.

    It just doesn't get much better than that, does it :)

    And AFAIK it works fine as a client, no problem.

    > I'm now thinking that hacking a set of bluetooth stereo headphones may
    > be a more valid option, authough with reduced range and it must use some
    > sort of compression to fit stereo audio thru bluetooth and I cant find
    > any details of exactly what it does.

    Why? Bluetooth has enough bandwidth to not require compression, and if
    it is still digital at that stage, what does it matter?

    I'd not be expecting very good results from headphones, either, and for
    not much less than the cost of the Linksys - plus you'll be losing quite
    a lot of the functionality that any of the other devices would give you.
    You'd have to piss around with power supplies etc. Sounds like an awful
    idea to me, but I'd be interested to hear how you get on.
    -=rjh=-, Oct 24, 2006
  19. Richard

    Richard Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Why? Bluetooth has enough bandwidth to not require compression, and if
    > it is still digital at that stage, what does it matter?

    Bluetooth is only 768k unless you have bluetooth 2, which isnt required
    for the headphones, it may be digital, but there isnt a lot of point if
    playing back stuff ends up sounding like a crap wma file.

    > I'd not be expecting very good results from headphones, either, and for
    > not much less than the cost of the Linksys - plus you'll be losing quite
    > a lot of the functionality that any of the other devices would give you.
    > You'd have to piss around with power supplies etc. Sounds like an awful
    > idea to me, but I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

    What functionaly? Those boxes are just a box with audio outs on it, once
    I have hacked the headphones it is likewise just a box with an audio out
    Richard, Oct 24, 2006