    bridge connected to a 4Mbits/s wireless connection. Do I need a WAN module for 3640 or not?

    Thanks,

    Alex.

    AM, May 23, 2005

  2. OK, here is the deal: Years ago, Cisco created a special interface slot
    called a "WIC" for "Wan interface Cards" like T1, or ISDN, or ~4mbit serial.
    This was used on the likes of the 800 and 1700 series, and in carrier cards
    for ther 2600 and 3600 series.

    The WIC cards could be either as a 5-in-1 serial port, a T1 CSU/DSU, or an
    ISDN S/T interface.

    Now, SOME later platforms (the 1700 series) have a special "High speed" WIC
    slot interface that could accomodate an Ethernet card. This was a useful
    way to add an extra ethernet port. The higher speed WIC interface got the
    unlikley name "Ethernet WAN." It was mainly intended for downstream
    PPPOE/DSL or Cable modem uplinks.

    The data sheet for the WIC-1ENET is:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_data_sheet09186a0080088714.html

    So the Ethernet WIC modules will only work in high speed WIC slots that
    support Ethernet.

    A 3640 WIC slot will only run non-ethernet WIC cards.

    So, You need to add one of the NM series ethernet interfaces. A WIC-1ENET
    will not work in a 3640.

    Hope that helps.

    Phillip Remaker, May 24, 2005