    computer?
    --
    Thanx

    =?Utf-8?B?TG91?=, Jan 1, 2006

  2. Lance

    Lance Guest

    An ethernet jack looks like a phone jack only bigger:
    http://ncsudesign.org/content/index.cfm/mode/1/fuseaction/page/filename/walljack.html

    They're usually located on the back of the computer. An ethernet cable
    is the only thing that'll fit, so if the router cord fits - you found it!

    If your computer doesn't have an ethernet jack that means you don't have
    a network interface card (NIC) or don't have one built-in the
    motherboard. Don't despair, they are very cheap and not too hard to
    install. I've seen ultracheapies for $5, but here's a brand name one for
    $20:
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=270465&pfp=BROWSE

    Other good consumer brands are Netgear and D-Link.

    Lance
    *****

    Lance, Jan 1, 2006

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    you know those little plastic clips on cables for your modem? well ethernet
    cables look like those on steroids. and the hole they go into looks like a
    double wide and tall version of the modem jack.

    Dave, Jan 1, 2006
  4. J

    J Guest

    On Sun, 1 Jan 2006, Lou <> wrote:
    >what the ethernet port looks like

    Just like a telephone plug, only with more connectors

    >and where it is on my computer?

    Usually part of the motherboard connection panel that sticks
    through a special part of the case... such as the parallel port
    to attach a printer cable, or the USB ports

    If you don't have one (not all motherboards have a network
    adapter built-in) you'll have to buy a card

    J, Jan 1, 2006
  5. Thanx, i'm a bit new to all this! Just waiting for the router to arrive now.
    --
    Thanx

    =?Utf-8?B?TG91?=, Jan 3, 2006