    computer?
    --
    Thanx
    =?Utf-8?B?TG91?=, Jan 1, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TG91?=

    Lance Guest

    An ethernet jack looks like a phone jack only bigger:
    http://ncsudesign.org/content/index.cfm/mode/1/fuseaction/page/filename/walljack.html

    They're usually located on the back of the computer. An ethernet cable
    is the only thing that'll fit, so if the router cord fits - you found it!

    If your computer doesn't have an ethernet jack that means you don't have
    a network interface card (NIC) or don't have one built-in the
    motherboard. Don't despair, they are very cheap and not too hard to
    install. I've seen ultracheapies for $5, but here's a brand name one for
    $20:
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=270465&pfp=BROWSE

    Other good consumer brands are Netgear and D-Link.

    Lance
    *****

    Lance, Jan 1, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TG91?=

    Dave Guest

    you know those little plastic clips on cables for your modem? well ethernet
    cables look like those on steroids. and the hole they go into looks like a
    double wide and tall version of the modem jack.

    Dave, Jan 1, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TG91?=

    J Guest

    On Sun, 1 Jan 2006, Lou <> wrote:
    >what the ethernet port looks like

    Just like a telephone plug, only with more connectors

    >and where it is on my computer?

    Usually part of the motherboard connection panel that sticks
    through a special part of the case... such as the parallel port
    to attach a printer cable, or the USB ports

    If you don't have one (not all motherboards have a network
    adapter built-in) you'll have to buy a card
    J, Jan 1, 2006
  5. Thanx, i'm a bit new to all this! Just waiting for the router to arrive now.
    --
    Thanx

    =?Utf-8?B?TG91?=, Jan 3, 2006