Ethernet (modem/router) + Wireless Connection ??

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by phil, Jul 27, 2006.

  1. phil

    phil Guest

    I have an ADSL router/modem that is connected to my PC via the ethernet
    port. I want to use this to connect to the ethernet.

    ALSO I have an external hard disk connected to a wireless router.

    However, using both at the same time......

    If I have the wireless disconnected, I can see the internet.

    Once I enable the wireless - I can see my external disk - but I can no
    longer see the internet
    (the ethernet port is OK i.e. active).

    I guess the problem is that I seem to have two "gateways" and this is
    confusing XP ?

    As soon as I turn the wireless off - I can see the internet again via
    the ethernet connected modem.

    Any clues please as to how I can get both working ??

    Thanks.

    --
    Phil

    phil, Jul 27, 2006

  2. phil

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    You probably configured the Network Drive and the Wireless on a different
    subnet.

    Example, Router and Wire 192.168.1.x, Wireless and Network Drive
    192.168.200.x

    Make sure that all the Network devices are configured on the same Subnet.

    192.168.NNN.x (NNN=subnet number).

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jul 27, 2006

  3. phil

    Sparks Guest

    "Jack" <> wrote in message

    > "phil" <> wrote in message
    >>I have an ADSL router/modem that is connected to my PC via the ethernet
    >> port. I want to use this to connect to the ethernet.
    >>
    >> ALSO I have an external hard disk connected to a wireless router.
    >>
    >> However, using both at the same time......
    >>
    >> If I have the wireless disconnected, I can see the internet.
    >>
    >> Once I enable the wireless - I can see my external disk - but I can no
    >> longer see the internet
    >> (the ethernet port is OK i.e. active).
    >>
    >> I guess the problem is that I seem to have two "gateways" and this is
    >> confusing XP ?
    >>
    >> As soon as I turn the wireless off - I can see the internet again via
    >> the ethernet connected modem.
    >>
    >> Any clues please as to how I can get both working ??
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Phil

    > Hi
    >
    > You probably configured the Network Drive and the Wireless on a different
    > subnet.
    >
    > Example, Router and Wire 192.168.1.x, Wireless and Network Drive
    > 192.168.200.x
    >
    > Make sure that all the Network devices are configured on the same Subnet.
    >
    > 192.168.NNN.x (NNN=subnet number).
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    More like the other way around - the OP has two separate networks.
    The wireless network for the internet connection and a separate wired one
    for access to the NAS drive.

    If the wireless router is set with the same IP range of the network hard
    disk, then the PC won't know where to route the traffic as there are then
    two network cards (wired and wireless) that look like they are on the same
    network.

    The OP needs to do one of two things.

    Change the IP address of the external hard disk, or connect the hard disk to
    the wireless router (But still may have to change the IP of this, if it
    clashes with the router.

    OP - when the wireless is on, and you can connect to the internet, what is
    the IP address of the PC?
    (Start, Run, type in cmd and press OK
    type ipconfig and tell us the IP address displayed here

    Now do the same with the wired connected, and the wireless tuned off.

    Sparks...

    Sparks, Jul 27, 2006
  4. phil

    phil Guest

    Re: Ethernet (modem/router) + Wireless Connection ??

    Thanks for reply.....I think you are very much on the right track...
    (just one thing - the hard-disk is connected to the wireless
    modem/router)

    With wireless off (all works):

    IP address 192.168.1.2
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.1.1

    The above defualt gateway is correct - this is my modem/router that the
    PC is connected to via ethernet.

    However, when I connect the wireless....

    IP address 192.168.0.2
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.0.4

    The Gateway IP address is now the wireless router - this is NOT
    connected to the internet, just the hard disk. Also PC IP address has
    changed.

    So - how do I keep the Default Gateway address constant ????

    Thanks for help. Going nuts.

    phil, Jul 27, 2006
  5. phil

    phil, Jul 27, 2006
  6. Re: Ethernet (modem/router) + Wireless Connection ??

    phil wrote:
    > Thanks for reply.....I think you are very much on the right track...
    > (just one thing - the hard-disk is connected to the wireless
    > modem/router)

    There's your problem. What you need is for the NAS box to be connected
    to a wireless bridge (often called 'game adaptors' - they're an RJ45 to
    wireless gateway, and turn a wired client into a wireless one) which in
    turn connects to a wireless access point (note: *not* a router) on your
    main network.

    You *can* achieve what you're looking for with a wireless router, but
    it's not easy. Nor is it guaranteed to work.

    Sell the router and use the money to buy a wireless bridge and a
    wireless access point. Alternatively, sell *both* routers and buy a
    wireless modem/router with built-in switch (for your internet
    connection) and a wireless bridge (to connect the NAS to the network).

    --
    Gareth Halfacree http://gareth.halfacree.co.uk
    "If Ace Books ever came out with an edition of The Bible, both books

    Gareth R Halfacree, Jul 27, 2006
  7. phil

    bobo Guest

    Re: Ethernet (modem/router) + Wireless Connection ??

    could he turn the DHCP off on router and set its IP manually for router from
    192.168.0.2 to e.g. 192.168.1.5
    and set his network hard drive manually to IP to 192.168.1.6
    and let his router/modem set IP as it does now for his other couple of PC's
    etc.

    bobo, Jul 27, 2006
  8. phil

    Guest

    Re: Ethernet (modem/router) + Wireless Connection ??

    Well I have a similiar configuration:

    Cable Modem -> (WAN Port) Router 1(LAN1 port) -> (WAN Port) Router 2

    I have been trying to get this configured correctly yet untill now no
    succes. What I've heard and read this setup is difficult to configure
    because of the double NAT (2 gateways). Some say it's impossible (I say
    "challenge", I h8 the word "impossible" :)

    As you connect this way some say it will give deteriorated performance
    in relation to the total "internet" bandwith for the connected devices
    on the 2nd router. With this way I mean from lan to wan. As I will
    endure the possible loss of bandwith in exchange for the abillity to
    use the routerfunction instead of making it into a dumb switch when
    connecting LAN to LAN. And for keeping all 4 LAN ports available for
    use.

    I have tried a few things among the one mentoined above yet when doing
    this I have to shut down the DHCP server abillity of the first router
    altogether and I don't want that :-(

    Another thing I tried which I thought would have the best change is to
    use the DHCP servers on both routers yet set the DHCP ranges outside
    each others range e.g. for
    the 1st router: 192.168.1.1 as IP for DHCP server and range 192.168.1.2
    up to 192.168.1.50 and
    the 2nd router: 192.168.1.100 as IP and range 192.168.1.100 to
    192.168.1.150

    Yet when I do this the connected pcs on the second router can't connect
    to the internet and when I look at the first routers attached devices I
    see that the 2nd router has been given IP 192.168.1.100 (the private IP
    for the DHCP on router 2), router 1 should have given the router
    192.168.1.3 yet as the logs shows it doesn't do that :-s
    Does anyone have any suggestions why this happens?

    For ppl looking for an easy fix and don't mind that the $xx router is
    working as a $x switch and can suffer the LAN port on the 2nd router,
    just connect router1 lan1 port to lan1 on router 2 with a cross cable
    (most SOHO routers don't have DMX on the lan ports only on the wan
    port). This should also fix and sharing problems between any of the
    connected devices. The 2nd router would work as a router but as a
    switch/hub.

    Ciao

    MrDotwood

    , Jul 30, 2006