    effi Guest

    does anyone make an inline switch that can be used on an ethernet line in,
    so the connection can be physically cut by flipping a switch?
    effi, Dec 19, 2004

  2. effi

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "effi" <> wrote in news::

    > so the connection can be physically cut by flipping a switch?

    You could just unplug the cord?
    Jim Berwick, Dec 19, 2004

  3. effi

    JD Guest

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:30:12 -0600, effi wrote:

    > does anyone make an inline switch that can be used on an ethernet line in,
    > so the connection can be physically cut by flipping a switch?

    you could simply make one .. altho I cannot think of a single reason for
    doing so ?

    do elaborate .. sounds interesting ?
    JD, Dec 19, 2004
  4. effi

    The One Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:30:12 -0600, effi wrote:
    >
    >> does anyone make an inline switch that can be used on an ethernet line
    >> in,
    >> so the connection can be physically cut by flipping a switch?

    > you could simply make one .. altho I cannot think of a single reason for
    > doing so ?
    >
    > do elaborate .. sounds interesting ?

    Prat
    The One, Dec 20, 2004
  5. effi

    JD Guest

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:32:30 +0000, The One wrote:

    > "JD" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:30:12 -0600, effi wrote:
    >>
    >>> does anyone make an inline switch that can be used on an ethernet line
    >>> in,
    >>> so the connection can be physically cut by flipping a switch?

    >> you could simply make one .. altho I cannot think of a single reason for
    >> doing so ?
    >>
    >> do elaborate .. sounds interesting ?

    > Prat

    You are just getting annoying now .. do you have ANYTHING to contribute ?
    JD, Dec 20, 2004
  6. effi

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:30:12 -0600, "effi" <> wrote:

    >does anyone make an inline switch that can be used on an ethernet line in,
    >so the connection can be physically cut by flipping a switch?

    I haven't seen one...but I'd like to find one, too.

    What I've done...

    Got a male to male connector...and have it secured where I'd want a
    switch to be. Make it secure...so that you can take the cable out and
    put it in again easily with one hand.

    On another setup, I've got a regular network 5-port switch...securely
    fastened to the workbench. Its then easy to unplug when necessary.

    If you find that inline switch, let us know.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Dec 21, 2004
  7. effi

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:24:09 +0000, Jim Berwick <> wrote:

    >"effi" <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> so the connection can be physically cut by flipping a switch?
    >>

    >You could just unplug the cord?

    Some devices are easier to disconnect with a switch...things you
    disconnect and reconnect on a regular basis...like floor lamps,
    computers, monitors, etc.

    An in-line switch for CAT cable would be nice.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Dec 21, 2004
  8. effi

    Dan DiNicolo Guest

    I know it's a bit of a stretch, but you could also just create a "software"
    switch - a shortcut that, when run, enables or disables the Ethernet port
    itself - assuming we're talking about a PC, of course. I've been in the
    business for quite some time and have never seen a physical ethernet switch,
    though I can think of a hundred ways in which it would come in handy!

    Dan
    --
    Dan DiNicolo
    MCSE, CCNP, CCDA

    Dan DiNicolo, Dec 21, 2004
  9. effi

    Thor Guest

    "Dan DiNicolo" <> wrote in message
    >I know it's a bit of a stretch, but you could also just create a "software"
    >switch - a shortcut that, when run, enables or disables the Ethernet port
    >itself - assuming we're talking about a PC, of course. I've been in the
    >business for quite some time and have never seen a physical ethernet
    >switch, though I can think of a hundred ways in which it would come in
    >handy!

    Just an FYI, this can already be done with WindowsXP. Merely right-clicking
    the network connection icon, you will get a menu with an option to disable
    the connection.
    Thor, Dec 21, 2004
  10. effi

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:07:42 -0500, "Dan DiNicolo" <> wrote:

    >I know it's a bit of a stretch, but you could also just create a "software"
    >switch - a shortcut that, when run, enables or disables the Ethernet port
    >itself - assuming we're talking about a PC, of course. I've been in the
    >business for quite some time and have never seen a physical ethernet switch,
    >though I can think of a hundred ways in which it would come in handy!
    >
    >Dan

    I'm constantly pulling the wires on my network...mainly to clean a
    machine from trojans, etc. Yeah...I could sure use one!

    The software switch that Thor mentions is a good idea. But it shuts
    off the entire network...not just the Internet. Sometimes I still
    need my network going...to transfer install files, etc.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Dec 22, 2004
  11. effi

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:13:22 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >"Dan DiNicolo" <> wrote in message
    >>I know it's a bit of a stretch, but you could also just create a "software"
    >>switch - a shortcut that, when run, enables or disables the Ethernet port
    >>itself - assuming we're talking about a PC, of course. I've been in the
    >>business for quite some time and have never seen a physical ethernet
    >>switch, though I can think of a hundred ways in which it would come in
    >>handy!

    >Just an FYI, this can already be done with WindowsXP. Merely right-clicking
    >the network connection icon, you will get a menu with an option to disable
    >the connection.

    That's good for the network in total, Thor. But most times, I still
    need the network running...to get files, etc. from another computer.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Dec 22, 2004