Ethernet Data Corruption

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by RL, May 1, 2008.

  1. RL

    RL Guest

    Hi,

    I have an Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard, and I am seeing data corruption
    when using either of the two built-in Ethernet ports on this system.

    Mounting a drive and doing an MD5 across the network will result in
    different results each time (same happens with SMB and NFS). If I put
    another Ethernet card in the system, data corruption does not occur. The
    files I am using for testing are large, 4.5-7GB each, and a small number
    of errors often occur, usually single-bit errors.

    I have spent hours diagnosing the cause of the problem, ruling out the
    cabling, switch, hard drives and system memory in the process. I'd hoped
    the solution is going to be as simple as a driver update, but I'm now
    using drivers from early this month, and there is no change.

    Has anyone had any similar experiences?

    Vista SP1 x64.

    RL

    RL, May 1, 2008

  2. In article <fvbos7$qbk$>, RL did write:

    > Has anyone had any similar experiences?

    Not with an Ethernet card, but with a FireWire card, some years ago. Losing
    backup files was like losing part of my brain...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 1, 2008

  3. On Thu, 01 May 2008 18:53:48 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote in

    > In article <fvbos7$qbk$>, RL did write:
    >
    >> Has anyone had any similar experiences?

    > Not with an Ethernet card, but with a FireWire card, some years ago. Losing
    > backup files was like losing part of my brain...

    :-x

    --
    - Nic.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, May 1, 2008
  4. RL

    RL Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Go into the nic propertys and turn off the IP header checksum offloading
    > - solved a similar problem for me a couple of years back.

    Turning off IP header checksums didn't do the trick, but I turned off
    the UDP and TCP checksum offloading as well, and it now works!

    Thanks for your suggestion. Not an ideal solution, but at least it is
    usable now.

    RL

    RL, May 2, 2008
  5. RL

    Dave Taylor Guest

    RL <> wrote in news:fveec7$d5t$:

    > Turning off IP header checksums didn't do the trick, but I turned off
    > the UDP and TCP checksum offloading as well, and it now works!
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestion. Not an ideal solution, but at least it is
    > usable now.
    >
    > RL

    Is it a RealTek NIC? They had a nasty bug years ago that did the same
    thing with IPX.
    I think you should let the card maker know anyways. They might want some
    packet traces and config files from you, but it should be pretty painless
    and then others will benefit in the long run from the bug fix.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 2, 2008
  6. RL

    RL Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > Is it a RealTek NIC? They had a nasty bug years ago that did the same
    > thing with IPX.
    > I think you should let the card maker know anyways. They might want some
    > packet traces and config files from you, but it should be pretty painless
    > and then others will benefit in the long run from the bug fix.

    Onboard Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E, and a Marvell Yukon
    88E8001/8003/8010 (one of them) PCI controler.

    I will pass the details on to Asus and Marvell as you suggest.

    RealTek... they are quite nasty, but at least in this case a cheap
    RealTek did work reliably where the Marvell did not. Normally I'd buy
    boards with onboard Intel Ethernet adaptors, but this system was an
    urgent replacement for my main system which died unexpectedly, so I had
    to take what I could get at the time.

    RL

    RL, May 2, 2008