    am trying to go wireless now and need to connect using the ethernet
    connection but the computer does not recognize that connection at all. How
    can I fix/install this? Thanks!
    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGVsbGU=?=, Feb 10, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGVsbGU=?=

    Sanchez Guest

    Terry Jones MCSE, MCSA, MCDST, MCP

    Hi,

    Ensure that the correct drivers for your network adapter are installed, if
    they are try updating them. This should resolve this fault.

    Sanchez, Feb 10, 2006

  3. Thanks Sanchez. I do not have my computer in front of me now but I am pretty
    sure that the driver for the ethernet is not installed. I thought it was a
    problem with my Cable provider and so they troubleshooted for me and he said
    that it is not installed and that it was not a simple 5 min. thing to fix it
    but of course, he could not help me with that only the company I purchased
    the computer from. And of course the warranty has expired so they won't help
    me either. So now I need to find out how I can install this myself....

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGVsbGU=?=, Feb 10, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGVsbGU=?=

    Malke Guest

    Michelle wrote:

    > Thanks Sanchez. I do not have my computer in front of me now but I am
    > pretty
    > sure that the driver for the ethernet is not installed. I thought it
    > was a problem with my Cable provider and so they troubleshooted for me
    > and he said that it is not installed and that it was not a simple 5
    > min. thing to fix it but of course, he could not help me with that
    > only the company I purchased
    > the computer from. And of course the warranty has expired so they
    > won't help
    > me either. So now I need to find out how I can install this
    > myself....

    Michelle, first you need to find out what ethernet card is installed in
    your computer. Here's how:

    1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
    2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific
    model machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers
    anyway)
    3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
    Advisor. The older Aida32 is good for this, too.

    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
    http://www.aumha.org/free.htm - Aida32 (hosted on Jim Eshelman's site)

    Once you know what hardware is there, get drivers from:

    1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
    2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
    3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
    computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

    If the device isn't even being recognized, it's broken. The easiest
    thing to do in that case is install a new ethernet adapter. They are
    very inexpensive. If your original adapter is on the motherboard, go
    into the BIOS first and disable the onboard adapter.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Feb 10, 2006
  5. Thanks a lot! That worked!

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGVsbGU=?=, Feb 12, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGVsbGU=?=

    Malke Guest

    Michelle wrote:

    > Thanks a lot! That worked!

    You're welcome. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.

    Malke
    Malke, Feb 12, 2006