    connection fails. Any ideas?

    Thanks
    Ted
    CTB, Apr 22, 2004

  2. CTB

    colin Guest

    CTB <> wrote in message
    news:4087a28a$...
    > Hello. I tried connecting my desktop pc to my laptop for the first time

    (I
    > have never tried doing so with any computers in the past..). Both

    computers
    > are showing an icon alerting me that the network cable is unplugged. I

    have
    > tried a few different ethernet cables, so I doubt it would be due to

    faulty
    > cabling. I have also tried disabling then enabling the Local Area
    > Connection, but when I enable it the cable is not detected and the
    > connection fails. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ted

    Hi Ted

    As it`s only 2 pc`s that you`d like to network, you need to use a crossover
    type network cable; if you`re already using one, have a look at your network
    settings, particularly your firewall settings (if any)
    colin, Apr 22, 2004

  3. CTB

    Thor Guest

    If you are connecting the computers *directly* together via an ethernet
    cable, then you need a "crossover" style ethernet cable. Otherwise, you will
    need an ethernet hub, or ethernet switch to connect them together with
    standard ethernet cables.

    Thor, Apr 22, 2004
  4. CTB

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:46:21 +1000, "CTB" <> wrote:

    >Hello. I tried connecting my desktop pc to my laptop for the first time (I
    >have never tried doing so with any computers in the past..). Both computers
    >are showing an icon alerting me that the network cable is unplugged. I have
    >tried a few different ethernet cables, so I doubt it would be due to faulty
    >cabling. I have also tried disabling then enabling the Local Area
    >Connection, but when I enable it the cable is not detected and the
    >connection fails. Any ideas?

    Are you using a router?

    Are you using a standard cable?...or a crossover cable?

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    What do you call a smart blonde?
    A golden retriever.
    Trent©, Apr 22, 2004
  5. CTB

    Jerry G. Guest

    You are best to use a small router. This way you can have both computers and
    the DSL at the same time. Each device needs a standard type cable.

    If you want to connect them peer to peer, you need a cross cable, not the
    standard cable.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Apr 22, 2004
  6. CTB

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:15:06 -0400, "Jerry G." <>
    wrote:

    >You are best to use a small router. This way you can have both computers and
    >the DSL at the same time. Each device needs a standard type cable.
    >
    >If you want to connect them peer to peer, you need a cross cable, not the
    >standard cable.

    I don't think you meant to state it quite that way, Jerry.
    Peer-to-peer...vs. server-workstation...has nothing to do with the
    cabling setup.

    Trent©, Apr 22, 2004