    David Bower Guest

    Dumb question...
    How do I determine if I have an ethernet card?
    David Bower, Apr 26, 2005

  2. David Bower wrote:
    > Dumb question...
    > How do I determine if I have an ethernet card?

    Couple of ways, you can hold down the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt,
    left side) and press Pause/Break. Then go to Hardware, Device manager.
    Look under Network adapters. See if there's ethernet listed. Or - look
    on the back of the computer and see if there's a jack for what looks
    like a phone line, but it's just a little wider and has eight conductors
    instead of four.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 26, 2005

  3. David Bower

    David Bower Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > David Bower wrote:
    >
    >> Dumb question...
    >> How do I determine if I have an ethernet card?

    > Couple of ways, you can hold down the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt,
    > left side) and press Pause/Break. Then go to Hardware, Device manager.
    > Look under Network adapters. See if there's ethernet listed. Or - look
    > on the back of the computer and see if there's a jack for what looks
    > like a phone line, but it's just a little wider and has eight conductors
    > instead of four.

    In my device manager, under Network Adapters I see...

    Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    and...
    1394 Net Adapter #5

    Are either of these an ethernet card?
    David Bower, Apr 26, 2005
  4. David Bower wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >> David Bower wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dumb question...
    >>> How do I determine if I have an ethernet card?

    >> Couple of ways, you can hold down the Windows key (between Ctrl and
    >> Alt, left side) and press Pause/Break. Then go to Hardware, Device
    >> manager. Look under Network adapters. See if there's ethernet listed.
    >> Or - look on the back of the computer and see if there's a jack for
    >> what looks like a phone line, but it's just a little wider and has
    >> eight conductors instead of four.

    > In my device manager, under Network Adapters I see...
    >
    > Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    > and...
    > 1394 Net Adapter #5
    >
    > Are either of these an ethernet card?

    Yes, the Intel.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 26, 2005
  5. David Bower

    °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    David Bower took 22 lines to utter:

    >Rôgêr wrote:
    >> David Bower wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dumb question...
    >>> How do I determine if I have an ethernet card?

    >> Couple of ways, you can hold down the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt,
    >> left side) and press Pause/Break. Then go to Hardware, Device manager.
    >> Look under Network adapters. See if there's ethernet listed. Or - look
    >> on the back of the computer and see if there's a jack for what looks
    >> like a phone line, but it's just a little wider and has eight conductors
    >> instead of four.

    >In my device manager, under Network Adapters I see...
    >
    >Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    >and...
    >1394 Net Adapter #5
    >
    >Are either of these an ethernet card?

    Yes, the Intel PRO/100 VE is the ethernet controller.
    The 1394 refers to firewire with networking capability.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 26, 2005
  6. David Bower

    Sunny Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > In <>,
    > David Bower took 22 lines to utter:
    >
    >>Rôgêr wrote:

    >>> Couple of ways, you can hold down the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt,
    >>> left side) and press Pause/Break. Then go to Hardware, Device manager.
    >>> Look under Network adapters. See if there's ethernet listed. Or - look
    >>> on the back of the computer and see if there's a jack for what looks
    >>> like a phone line, but it's just a little wider and has eight conductors
    >>> instead of four.

    >>In my device manager, under Network Adapters I see...
    >>
    >>Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    >>and...
    >>1394 Net Adapter #5
    >>
    >>Are either of these an ethernet card?

    > Yes, the Intel PRO/100 VE is the ethernet controller.
    > The 1394 refers to firewire with networking capability.

    Handy driver software :
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=407&lang=eng
    Sunny, Apr 26, 2005
  7. David Bower

    Dave Lear Guest

    "David Bower" wrote in message news:

    > Dumb question...
    > How do I determine if I have an ethernet card?

    Start

    Run

    MSINFO32.EXE

    Navigate through to...