ethernet card throttled?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by calvin, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. calvin

    calvin Guest

    Hiya
    I seem to have a problem with my ethernet card (onboard realtek 100mbps
    lan - gigabyte ga-7vrxp motherboard)
    Any uploads that I try to do across my network seem to be throttled at a
    speed <100k/sec and fluctuate about. This is across a variety of protocols -
    ftp/direct connect.
    Downloads are fine, going at full speed of ~10megabytes/second.

    This seems to have occurred only recently. I was at a lan last weekend and
    this was not an issue. Havn't done a lot of uploading since then so this
    could have started up to 5 days ago but I suspect it was more recent.

    Recent changes that might have had an effect:

    Added the registry key for 'faster downloads' from
    http://www.nzadsl.co.nz/speedtest/
    Have since removed - no change

    Was experimenting with the emule upload speed limiter but have since
    unlimited and not been running emule. don't see how this could affect things

    Any ideas on what the problem is?
    many thanks
    -calvin

    calvin, Dec 19, 2003

  2. calvin

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:39:59 +1300, "calvin" <> wrote:

    >Hiya
    >I seem to have a problem with my ethernet card (onboard realtek 100mbps
    >lan - gigabyte ga-7vrxp motherboard)
    >Any uploads that I try to do across my network seem to be throttled at a
    >speed <100k/sec and fluctuate about. This is across a variety of protocols -
    >ftp/direct connect.
    >Downloads are fine, going at full speed of ~10megabytes/second.
    >
    >This seems to have occurred only recently. I was at a lan last weekend and
    >this was not an issue. Havn't done a lot of uploading since then so this
    >could have started up to 5 days ago but I suspect it was more recent.
    >
    >Recent changes that might have had an effect:
    >
    >Added the registry key for 'faster downloads' from
    >http://www.nzadsl.co.nz/speedtest/
    >Have since removed - no change
    >
    >Was experimenting with the emule upload speed limiter but have since
    >unlimited and not been running emule. don't see how this could affect things
    >
    >Any ideas on what the problem is?
    >many thanks
    >-calvin

    The emule thing looks too much of a coincidence to be ignored IMO. You
    made some changes that affected upload speeds & now you're having
    upload problems. Usual course is to look at your changes, might pay to
    take a closer look at that...may not have been completely disabled
    after all.

    Another common cause of Realtek problems is full duplex. Try setting
    the card to half-duplex.

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Dec 19, 2003

  3. calvin

    calvin Guest

    ended up plugging the cable into a different port on the switch and things
    started to work fine again

    calvin, Dec 20, 2003