    Would I be better off just getting an ethernet card for a PCI slot? Or is
    there something I'm NOT doing which could enable it properly?

    Mark

    mark mandell, Oct 31, 2003

  2. mark  mandell

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mark mandell" <> wrote in
    news:n4kob.14840$:

    > Seems that however I've tried to install this ethernet card, it just
    > won't kick in. Doesn't matter if I use the Windows 98 SE cd rom or
    > the drivers that came with the motherboard which has three different
    > network possibilities. Checked in BIOS and the LAN is enabled.

    This is an onboard NIC? If so, check the board's manual to see if there is
    a jumper to disable it. Also, what do you mean by "Not work"? Does it not
    get detected, or does it get detected and the drivers install but it
    doesn't pull an IP address, can't ping/be pinged when you assign a static
    address, etc.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 31, 2003

  3. mark  mandell

    Plato Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > > Seems that however I've tried to install this ethernet card, it just
    > > won't kick in. Doesn't matter if I use the Windows 98 SE cd rom or
    > > the drivers that came with the motherboard which has three different
    > > network possibilities. Checked in BIOS and the LAN is enabled.

    > This is an onboard NIC? If so, check the board's manual to see if there is
    > a jumper to disable it. Also, what do you mean by "Not work"? Does it not

    I doubt it's disabled by default.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 31, 2003
  4. mark  mandell

    mark mandell Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > >
    > > > Seems that however I've tried to install this ethernet card, it just
    > > > won't kick in. Doesn't matter if I use the Windows 98 SE cd rom or
    > > > the drivers that came with the motherboard which has three different
    > > > network possibilities. Checked in BIOS and the LAN is enabled.

    > > This is an onboard NIC? If so, check the board's manual to see if there

    is
    > > a jumper to disable it. Also, what do you mean by "Not work"? Does it

    not

    > I doubt it's disabled by default.
    >
    > > get detected, or does it get detected and the drivers install but it
    > > doesn't pull an IP address, can't ping/be pinged when you assign a

    static
    > > address, etc.
    > >
    > > --
    > > AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    > > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > > website: under construction
    > > Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
    > > email/IM for rates/services

    > --
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/

    I finally got it fixed by taking it to the place I bought it from(actually
    bought it at the local Computer Expo about a month ago). The tech who
    fixed it just had more patience than I but I was on the right track anyway.

    mark mandell, Nov 1, 2003
  5. mark  mandell

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mark mandell" <> wrote in

    > I finally got it fixed by taking it to the place I bought it
    > from(actually bought it at the local Computer Expo about a month ago).
    > The tech who fixed it just had more patience than I but I was on the
    > right track anyway.

    And the solution was...?

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 1, 2003
  6. mark  mandell

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 06:13:39 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >"mark mandell" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I finally got it fixed by taking it to the place I bought it
    >> from(actually bought it at the local Computer Expo about a month ago).
    >> The tech who fixed it just had more patience than I but I was on the
    >> right track anyway.
    >>

    >And the solution was...?

    Probably...plug the cable into the NIC that was enabled! lol

    As you suggested, he probably had 2 NIC's in the computer...and had
    the cable on the wrong one.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 2, 2003