    Your views please
    Thanks
    Rob

    ROBERT BROOKS, Oct 7, 2004

  2. ROBERT BROOKS

    Jerry G. Guest

    If your router and or modem that is connected to the WAN has a built in
    firewall, you do not need to run a firewall in the computer. Software
    firewalls use a heavy amount of resources, and cause the machine to slow
    down a bit. The most efficient way is to use an external hardware
    firewall.

    Disable your firewall in the computer, and visit
    http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/ to test your browser security. There
    are many things that the browser can allow, that the firewall will not
    be effective against.

    Test your firewall:
    http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/scanoptions.asp

    Shields Up firewall test:
    https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    "ROBERT BROOKS" <@ntlworld.com> wrote in
    message news:QW59d.17$...
    Hi
    I have a Linksys cabled router attached to my Dell PC which also
    connects
    to my sons Fugitsu siemens.
    Question I have Zone Alarm on both machines. Is this necessary with a
    router. reason I ask - I have just downloaded the latest version of
    zone
    alarm and it has blocked outgoing messages I had set up. All incoming
    messages are blocked before reaching zone alarm.

    Your views please
    Thanks
    Rob

    Jerry G., Oct 7, 2004

  3. ROBERT BROOKS

    Thor Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > If your router and or modem that is connected to the WAN has a built in
    > firewall, you do not need to run a firewall in the computer. Software
    > firewalls use a heavy amount of resources, and cause the machine to slow
    > down a bit. The most efficient way is to use an external hardware
    > firewall.

    but most 3rd party software firewalls do one thing the router cannot, and
    that is monitor outbound connection attempts. A good software firewall can
    notify the user if some piece of spyware, worm, backdoor program, etc. on
    the user's machine is trying to establish an outgoing connection, and gives
    you the option to block it.

    Thor, Oct 7, 2004
  4. ROBERT BROOKS

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 07:07:28 GMT, "ROBERT BROOKS"
    <@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    > All incoming
    >messages are blocked before reaching zone alarm.

    If that were true, no one would get hacked.

    In reality, even sites that have hardware firewalls get hacked.

    Doesn't Zone Alarm block incoming? Why should that be necessary?...if
    the router NAT was all that omnipotent?

    Have a nice one...

    Trent

    Trent©, Oct 8, 2004