    Or any protocol analyser to capture the layer 3 and layer 4 ?

    Thank you
    Benson
    Benson, May 13, 2005

  2. On 13.05.2005 10:00 Benson wrote

    > I used the Ethereal protocol analyser in workstationA to capture the
    > packet form workstationB, but found packet lost, why ?

    How is WsB connected to WsA? How many network connections does WsB have?
    And what do you men by "... found packet lost ...".

    > Do I have to install the promisculous Network Card in WsA or WsB?

    I only know about "promiscuous mode" which means that an interface not
    only catches frames destined for itself, but all.

    > And anybody knows if the Ethereal capture the layer 4 protocols ( like
    > port number of an application ) ? it is because I want to find out the
    > port number of some applications, especially these days, many illegal
    > applications are using port number instead of Layer 3 ?

    Ethereal almost catches everything. What do you want to catch?

    Arnold
    --
    Arnold Nipper, AN45
    Arnold Nipper, May 13, 2005

  3. Benson

    Jeff Pratt Guest

    Benson wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I used the Ethereal protocol analyser in workstationA to capture the
    > packet form workstationB, but found packet lost, why ?
    >
    > Do I have to install the promisculous Network Card in WsA or WsB?

    The card in the ethereal workstation should be in promiscuous mode.
    Ethereal will do this for you. Go capture->start and just under where you
    choose the interface there is a checkbox for promiscuous mode.

    > And anybody knows if the Ethereal capture the layer 4 protocols ( like
    > port number of an application ) ? it is because I want to find out the
    > port number of some applications, especially these days, many illegal
    > applications are using port number instead of Layer 3 ?

    Ethereal will capture the the port numbers and protocols used, and even do
    some protocol analysis for protocols it knows about.

    Exactly which "illegal" applications are you talking about? I know in
    france certain encryption technologies are illegal, and in china just about
    anything to protect your privacy and security is illegal, but that's about
    it AFAIK.

    > Or any protocol analyser to capture the layer 3 and layer 4 ?

    A nice complement to ethereal is etherape. If you use pcap to capture your
    packets and tee to provide feeds for both ethereal and etherape, you can
    get both a nice protocol and packet analysis interface, AND a visual
    representation of network connections and bandwidth used.

    > Thank you
    > Benson

    NP.
    Jeff
    Jeff Pratt, May 13, 2005
  4. Benson

    Benson Guest

    Hi, Jeff,

    Thanks for your advice.

    Like the skype ( VoIP application ), I captured nothing when the application starts

    Benson

    Benson, May 19, 2005