    Is this the maximum I can get out of it?

    Thanks

    Pete.
    imayroam, Mar 9, 2005

  2. On 09.03.2005 09:48 imayroam wrote

    > Hi.
    >
    > I have 2 6509 switches, and I want to create an etherchannel between
    > the two.
    > Both switches have 10/100/1000 modules.
    > I tried creating a channel using just 2 ports per switch, but it came
    > back saying that it would only run at 1GB.
    > Is this the maximum I can get out of it?

    Actually 1GB is the maximum you can get ouf GEC. This corresponds to
    8Gbps which is the maximum of 8 links you can channel.

    Please observe also that due to the hashing algorithm the achievable
    bandwidth may be somewhat lover than the sum of all links. IIRC you have:

    2 GE: 2.0 Gbps
    3 GE: 2.7 Gbps
    4 GE: 4.0 Gbps
    5 GE: 4.0 Gbps
    6 GE: 4.0 Gbps
    7 GE: 4.0 Gbps
    8 GE: 8.0 Gbps

    Arnold
    --
    Arnold Nipper, AN45
    Arnold Nipper, Mar 9, 2005

  3. imayroam

    Imayroam Guest

    Hi Arnold,

    Thanks for the quick reply!

    I've just found a note on a Cisco doc, that says:
    The WS-X6148-GE-TX and WS-X6148V-GE-TX switching modules do not support
    more than 1 Gbps of traffic per EtherChannel
    And guess what, I'm using those cards!

    I guess then I need to create a couple of etherchannels, and assign to
    different VLAN's, to get increased performance.

    Thanks

    Pete.
    Imayroam, Mar 9, 2005
  4. imayroam

    Ivan Ostreš Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi Arnold,
    >
    > Thanks for the quick reply!
    >
    > I've just found a note on a Cisco doc, that says:
    > The WS-X6148-GE-TX and WS-X6148V-GE-TX switching modules do not support
    > more than 1 Gbps of traffic per EtherChannel
    > And guess what, I'm using those cards!
    >
    > I guess then I need to create a couple of etherchannels, and assign to
    > different VLAN's, to get increased performance.

    If you get just 1Gig per etherchanel and you gave 10/100/1000
    interfaces, why creating etherchannels at all?

    --
    -Ivan.

    Ivan Ostreš, Mar 9, 2005
  5. imayroam

    Imayroam Guest

    Hi Ivan,

    I wanted to get redundancy in the link between the switches, and a bit
    better speed than 1GB if I could.

    Thanks

    Pete.
    Imayroam, Mar 9, 2005