    Jeff Jones
    Austin, Texas
    aa #2044
    Jeff Jones, Aug 21, 2004

  2. Jeff Jones

    Jim Fraas Guest

    September 28th

    --
    A widescreen edition of a movie presents the film frame as it was seen in
    the movie theater. This is the version that best preserves the filmmaker's
    original intent.

    Jim Fraas, Aug 21, 2004

  3. "Jim Fraas" <> wrote in message
    > September 28th
    >
    > --
    > A widescreen edition of a movie presents the film frame as it was seen in
    > the movie theater. This is the version that best preserves the

    filmmaker's
    > original intent.
    >
    > End of story!
    > "Jeff Jones" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi folks,
    > >
    > > I haven't been able to find any release date info on this film. Anyone
    > > know?
    > >
    > > Jeff Jones
    > > Austin, Texas
    > > aa #2044

    Well put Jim. NO point in ever getting a full screen version of a movie. In
    fact, any film good or bad should only be seen the way the producers
    intended for you to see it-in it's original aspect ratio.
    Tad Bitt§ï£, Aug 21, 2004
  4. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    Thanks!

    Jeff Jones
    Austin, Texas
    aa #2044
    Jeff Jones, Aug 21, 2004
  5. I'm curious as to where you searched for this info. I chcked amazon.com and
    google and found the answer in less than 10 seconds. Come on, now.
    --
    Charles C. Shyu
    http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html

    Charles C. Shyu, Aug 22, 2004
  6. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Charles C. Shyu" <> wrote in message
    > I'm curious as to where you searched for this info. I chcked amazon.com

    and
    > google and found the answer in less than 10 seconds. Come on, now.
    > --
    > Charles C. Shyu
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html

    I checked imdb like I usually do. they showed no release info and my
    experience has been they are fairly good about getting DVD info up in a
    timely manner. Perhaps I should have looked further but frankly, I figured
    that someone in this forum would probably know of the top of their heads so
    I asked. Sorry if I offended your sensibilities.

    Jeff Jones
    Austin, Texas
    aa #2044
    Jeff Jones, Aug 22, 2004
  7. Jeff Jones

    Dale Hicks Guest

    In article <fMVVc.20959$>,
    says...

    > "Charles C. Shyu" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm curious as to where you searched for this info. I chcked amazon.com

    > and
    > > google and found the answer in less than 10 seconds. Come on, now.
    > > --
    > > Charles C. Shyu
    > > http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html

    > I checked imdb like I usually do. they showed no release info and my
    > experience has been they are fairly good about getting DVD info up in a
    > timely manner.

    dvdpricesearch is pretty good at this, as well. I trust their db
    slightly more than the IMDB.

    --
    Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net
    Dale Hicks, Aug 22, 2004
  8. > I checked imdb like I usually do. they showed no release info and my
    > experience has been they are fairly good about getting DVD info up in a
    > timely manner. Perhaps I should have looked further but frankly, I

    figured
    > that someone in this forum would probably know of the top of their heads

    so
    > I asked. Sorry if I offended your sensibilities.

    No problem. I find that sites like Amazon and DVDEmpire have fairly
    up-to-date release info. Probably more incentive for them to keep it
    updated than sites like IMDb.
    Charles C. Shyu, Aug 22, 2004
  9. >I find that sites like Amazon and DVDEmpire have fairly
    >up-to-date release info. Probably more incentive for them to keep it
    >updated than sites like IMDb.

    I find it odd that IMDb is owned by Amazon.com; the information on IMDb
    regarding release dates, soundtrack, videocassette, and DVD releases, is used
    to drive shoppers to Amazon. The lack of correct information on IMDb shows a
    bit of carelessness on Amazon's part... I'm surprised they haven't put a
    system in place to automatically add that info to IMDb based on the data
    contained on the parent site.

    (Yeah, Amazon.com probably feels that it's got better things to spend money on
    than filling in the cracks datawise for IMDb... frustrating for the end user,
    though.)
    Robert Morgan, Aug 22, 2004
  10. Jeff Jones

    Opticreep Guest

    "Tad Bitt§ï£" <> wrote in message news:<czIVc.647$>...

    > Well put Jim. NO point in ever getting a full screen version of a movie. In
    > fact, any film good or bad should only be seen the way the producers
    > intended for you to see it-in it's original aspect ratio.

    I can never understand this pathological hatred fanboys have regarding
    pan n' scan DVDs.

    When I was a starving college student trying to get by on an old 19"
    sony TV screen a few years ago, I actually preferred pan n' scan over
    the WS format. It's like all these fanboys just assume everybody's
    got a 40" progressive scan TV screen with S-Video or Component Video
    interface or something. You do realize that there are plenty of
    people that casually play DVDs in noisy offices, in busy waiting
    rooms, in kitchens, and those kinds of places right? I won't even
    mention those portable TV/DVD combo players that are so popular these
    days.

    Let me tell you something: if you got a small 19" TV sitting atop a
    small refrigerator 8 feet away from your chair in a dorm room or an
    office or a doctor's waiting room (or a trailer, or whatever sort of
    dwelling wal-mart shoppers prefer), you would be better off watching a
    pan n' scan movie. Try watching a 2.35:1 WS film on a small tv like
    that, and you're bound to squint your eyeballs out from their socket
    before you even recognize a character.

    Sure, you could watch a WS movie by rearranging the whole room, shoo
    away any other potential viewers, and move the TV to about 2 feet away
    from your face like some crazed lunatic. Or you could just swallow
    your pride, sit back. and admit that some people have a very good
    reason for sometimes choosing a pan-n-scan movie over WS.
    Opticreep, Aug 22, 2004
  11. Jeff Jones

    Dale Hicks Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > When I was a starving college student trying to get by on an old 19"
    > sony TV screen a few years ago, I actually preferred pan n' scan over
    > the WS format.

    Wheras I loved seeing all of "Star Wars" on my 13" TV as a starving
    college student, even if it meant I had to sacrifice some of the size of
    picture.

    > Sure, you could watch a WS movie by rearranging the whole room, shoo
    > away any other potential viewers, and move the TV to about 2 feet away
    > from your face like some crazed lunatic.

    If you're watching TV at college with people, then you do it in a common
    room somewhere. I always found that my college TV watching in the dorm
    was a solitary (or duotary) event. So yeah, I had the TV close by (as
    if there's an option in a dorm room anyway).

    --
    Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net
    Dale Hicks, Aug 22, 2004
  12. On 22 Aug 2004 09:43:29 -0700, (Opticreep) wrote:

    >"Tad Bitt§ï£" <> wrote in message news:<czIVc.647$>...
    >> >

    >> Well put Jim. NO point in ever getting a full screen version of a movie. In
    >> fact, any film good or bad should only be seen the way the producers
    >> intended for you to see it-in it's original aspect ratio.

    >I can never understand this pathological hatred fanboys have regarding
    >pan n' scan DVDs.
    >
    >When I was a starving college student trying to get by on an old 19"
    >sony TV screen a few years ago, I actually preferred pan n' scan over
    >the WS format. It's like all these fanboys just assume everybody's
    >got a 40" progressive scan TV screen with S-Video or Component Video
    >interface or something. You do realize that there are plenty of
    >people that casually play DVDs in noisy offices, in busy waiting
    >rooms, in kitchens, and those kinds of places right? I won't even
    >mention those portable TV/DVD combo players that are so popular these
    >days.
    >
    >Let me tell you something: if you got a small 19" TV sitting atop a
    >small refrigerator 8 feet away from your chair in a dorm room or an
    >office or a doctor's waiting room (or a trailer, or whatever sort of
    >dwelling wal-mart shoppers prefer), you would be better off watching a
    >pan n' scan movie. Try watching a 2.35:1 WS film on a small tv like
    >that, and you're bound to squint your eyeballs out from their socket
    >before you even recognize a character.
    >
    >Sure, you could watch a WS movie by rearranging the whole room, shoo
    >away any other potential viewers, and move the TV to about 2 feet away
    >from your face like some crazed lunatic. Or you could just swallow
    >your pride, sit back. and admit that some people have a very good
    >reason for sometimes choosing a pan-n-scan movie over WS.

    I have a little portable, and my largest set is a 25 inch Sanyo.
    And I will only but OAR, if that is wide screen, then that is the film
    the director wanted me to see. I can't imagine a movie like Mystic
    River in p and s. I will never knowingly buy a dvd in anything other
    than OAR.
    As for the portable, I have a Polaroid 7 inch, and then picture is
    razor sharp, no problem watching films on that.
    As for equating poverty with shopping at Walmart, you've just shown
    yourself to be so totally ignorant, that any conclusions you were to
    draw automatically become not only suspect, but downright ill
    informed.
    So, in other words, of course you would enjoy pan and scan, you know
    no better.
    Please keep buying them, they have to sell them to some one, it might
    as well be you.
    Dyuob Poltice, Aug 22, 2004
  13. Jeff Jones

    Mike Jackson Guest

    > >I find that sites like Amazon and DVDEmpire have fairly
    >>up-to-date release info. Probably more incentive for them to keep it
    >>updated than sites like IMDb.

    > I find it odd that IMDb is owned by Amazon.com; the information on IMDb
    > regarding release dates, soundtrack, videocassette, and DVD releases, is
    > used
    > to drive shoppers to Amazon. The lack of correct information on IMDb
    > shows a
    > bit of carelessness on Amazon's part... I'm surprised they haven't put a
    > system in place to automatically add that info to IMDb based on the data
    > contained on the parent site.

    And considering that Amazon's web services tool works like a charm, it makes
    even less sense.

    > (Yeah, Amazon.com probably feels that it's got better things to spend
    > money on
    > than filling in the cracks datawise for IMDb... frustrating for the end
    > user,
    > though.)

    IMDb still relies on user submissions for their data. I get the impression
    they're not particularly well-funded and that they put their efforts toward
    the IMDb Pro (the pay version) and the news bits. The back end is incredibly
    old as well, so perhaps they simply can fit an XML processor into the mix to
    get data from Amazon Web Services.

    If something's been officially announced, Amazon will have it in their
    database. It's really one of the best places to check for release dates.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com
    Mike Jackson, Aug 23, 2004
  14. >IMDb still relies on user submissions for their data.

    This would be cool if they did much with user-submitted data. Their laserdisc
    information was woefully inadequate when LD was still "the" high-end video
    format, with information submissions routinely ignored. (I somehow imagine
    that's related to the fact that Amazon didn't stock LDs in-the-day.)

    It seems like a lot of the data maintained now comes from some sort of official
    source, as opposed to user submissions, which again makes me wonder why they
    haven't integrated data between IMDb and Amazon. Heck, even providing links to
    viewer reviews between the two sites would help for research and purchasing
    decisions.
    Robert Morgan, Aug 23, 2004
  15. Jeff Jones

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    (Opticreep) wrote:

    > I can never understand this pathological hatred fanboys have regarding
    > pan n' scan DVDs.

    But let me guess, you can understand the pathological hatred pan & scam
    lovers have towards OAR presentations of movies, right? We had to deal
    with their ignorant attitudes towards OAR/widescreen/letterbox even when
    they had their way. Remember, DVD didn't hit store shelves in the US
    until 1997. Before that, the home video market was 95% P&S VHS. Just
    shelves upon shelves of crappy "full screen" VHS tapes in every brick &
    mortar store in the country. *sigh* Those of us who even dared to sought
    out widescreen VHS or Laser Discs were looked at as "weirdos" by the
    ignorant masses.

    > Let me tell you something: if you got a small 19" TV sitting atop a
    > small refrigerator 8 feet away from your chair in a dorm room or an
    > office or a doctor's waiting room (or a trailer, or whatever sort of
    > dwelling wal-mart shoppers prefer), you would be better off watching a
    > pan n' scan movie. Try watching a 2.35:1 WS film on a small tv like
    > that, and you're bound to squint your eyeballs out from their socket
    > before you even recognize a character.

    Bullshit copout excuse that doesn't apply to most P&S fanboys anyway. I
    spent over 2 years watching widescreen DVD's on a 20" tv. And yes, I was
    sitting about 8 feet away. It was not that bad. On 1.85:1 movies it was
    hardly noticable and on 2.35:1 movies I quickly adjusted to it. If you
    have to squint just to see the actors face, you better get your eyes
    checked. Or at least turn off your lights or something.
    and neither do we." - George Dubya Bush

    Vote Kerry 2004
    Black Locust, Aug 24, 2004